another list-500 greatest albums

Started by classical gas, November 24, 2003, 12:24:58 AM

SHAFTR

Quote from: phil is so sexythings like that is so stupid. i really hate it. it makes some people(stupid ones) actually believe in those lists, like they ever meant anything, and they will go out spend all their hard earned cash buying all those dylan and beatles records, go home and pretend to actually like them.

The flip side is someone will go out there and buy a Dylan or Beatles record and actually like them.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pas

Can we all agree that the Rolling Stones lists manager, and his extended family, should die in horrible pain ?

modage

Quote from: GhostboyIsn't 500 places too inclusive for any list, though?

just stop reading at 100 or 50.  or whenever the album choices begin to get more erratic.   :wink:

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRI think Revolver might be the Beatles best.  Rubber Soul is when they started making that turn, and begin experimenting.
What, Norweigan Wood? It seems so typical to cluster so many Beatles albums at the top of a list. And I would put Abbey Road above both of those.
They are just that good.
its true.  they are. sorry godardian, but here is the concrete proof!  :wink:

Quote from: freakerdudeI don't think I care what the editors think are the top 500....way too long to analyze for me.
it wasnt just the editors of RS compiling a list of 500.  the votes were compiled by a list of 500: editors *(like Ben Fong-Torres), and critics, record company exectutives, musicians like Beck, Wayne Coyne, Adam Yauch, The Edge, James Hetfield, Ray Manzerek, Solomon Burke, Jackson Brown, Johnny Ramone, Moby, Dave Navarro, Art Garfunkel, Steven Malkmus, Missy Elliott, A Stroke, etc., as well as music lovers (like Cameron Crowe and Yoko Ono) who made a list (much like our xixax decapitation or whatever) where you get 50 votes.  your first place is worth 100 points, 50 points for second place, 33 1/3 place for 3rd place, and so on down to 2 points for fiftieth place.  then, the albums were ranked accordingly as long as they appeared on atleast 5 lists.  
so its not as if you know, 15 guys at RS just felt all those beatles albums conquered over everybody elses work.  its just that, after all the votes were in, its obvious, (as it is here), that everyone has different favorite beatles albums, and stones and dylan, and they're all on everybodys lists.  so i'd actually say that this list is as valid as the Sight And Sound is for movies, judging by the way they compiled it.  moreso than any you know 50 tearjerkers or whatever compiled by editors at one magazine.  sure it may not be exact but, its a good place to start, isnt it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

nice to see lou reed's berlin on that list..... 8)

i still donn't get allthe praise for srgt pepper..the white album is thier best work

freakerdude

Quote from: themodernage02
it wasnt just the editors of RS compiling a list of 500.  the votes were compiled by a list of 500: editors *(like Ben Fong-Torres), and critics, record company exectutives, musicians............sure it may not be exact but, its a good place to start, isnt it?
Thanks for the explanation. I do know that the RS's Top 100 Guitarists List was just a few RS editors, though.

I like the way the point system is used.
MC Pee Pants

Alexandro

I noticed the three Eminem albums on that list...

One was a stretch...but 3!!!!! c'mon...who' s paying thi slist??

where's hello nasty from the beastie boys???

I was happy to see Beck and Massive Attack and Portishead on the list...but Bjork had only one album there and eminen had three...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi still donn't get allthe praise for srgt pepper..the white album is thier best work

I agree, but I think Sgt Pepper is close. If we're looking for when they really experimented, let's forget Rubber Soul... it's Sgt Pepper.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

That list is total bullshit.  It's all the same artists, or relative artists...how can Nevermind place 17th?

Reading that list shows me just how much Rolling Stone has been sucking lately.  Especially with that 100 Best Guitarists list they had.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pedro

these lists are always rely too much on placing albums based on historical importance.

NEON MERCURY

.After semi-careful consideration thi list is indeed valid......
excepr fot one noteable ommision...

eat a peach
or live filmore east ..by the allman brothers....

modage

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobThat list is total bullshit.  It's all the same artists, or relative artists...how can Nevermind place 17th?

Reading that list shows me just how much Rolling Stone has been sucking lately.  Especially with that 100 Best Guitarists list they had.

did you read how they compiled it?  they polled 500 people who, for the most part, know what they're talking about.  17th is still pretty high for an album thats only 10 years old.  it IS the highest placing for any album that recent.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobThat list is total bullshit.  It's all the same artists, or relative artists...how can Nevermind place 17th?

did you read how they compiled it?  they polled 500 people who, for the most part, know what they're talking about.  17th is still pretty high for an album thats only 10 years old.  it IS the highest placing for any album that recent.

..the only reason nnnneverminnd/nnirvana is that high is simply b/c they are labeled as the group that ushered in the all important grunnge movement....
there is nno way in hell that "talennnt--wise" this album deserves to be that high on that list....THINK ABOUT IT..WHEN YOU MEASURE POUNNND FOR POUND THE TALENT BETWEEN OTHER GRUNNNGE BANDS (PJ, ALICE IN CHAINNS SOUNNNDGARDEN, MUDHONNEY, MAD SEASON)..nnirvana is a second tier garage bannd that all.

EDIT:  or better yet, even though its not grunnge nnirvana can't hold a phucking cannndle to tool...in terms or "musical talennt" lateralus is light years ahead of annything nirvannna has ever donne or would have done!!!!!!!!

classical gas

Pas

Amen to that. I like your location haha

Reinhold

i was happy to see all of the beatles, but it turned into an ass-kissing session after the first five or six beatles albums. i would have also switched sgt pepper with let it be or the white album.

also, the list looked good to me until about 300. no dave matthews band, no ben folds. i would have liked to see Crash and Brick, respectively.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.