About Schmidt----->DVD

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, June 03, 2003, 06:14:22 PM

Pas

Humm...I tought this movie was decent. The pace was pretty slow in the first act, I can't relate so much to old people's distress, and I found Kathy Bates family totally out of place as to the rest of the movie.

I might I've liked it more if I hadn't been told to prepare for the best film of 2002. PDL, Habla Con Ella, The Pianist, Adaptation, Laramie Project were much better. I even liked About a Boy a lot more. Anyway, personnal tastes may differ.

godardian

Quote from: Booth

I might I've liked it more if I hadn't been told to prepare for the best film of 2002. PDL, Habla Con Ella, The Pianist, Adaptation, Laramie Project were much better. I even liked About a Boy a lot more. Anyway, personnal tastes may differ.

I heard terrible things about The Laramie Project. Is it really worth checking out? The play was actually much, much better (complex and richer) than I'd anticipated.

About Schmidt was in my top 3 of 2002... I guess I just think Alexander Payne is to Omaha as PTA is to the San Fernando Valley.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

i think its hilarious that every single time somebody is making a speech/toast in the movie they end up talking about themselves.  i cringe every time it happens.  there are so many hilarious touches in this movie that are so true to the way people are.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.