Spring Breakers

Started by wilder, January 09, 2013, 04:34:06 PM

jenkins

some reviews make me hate this movie...

wilder

Pubrick

at this point i think he has given up on being a professional filmmaker and become a full time professional Spring Breakers promoter.
under the paving stones.

Reel

He needs to do Letterman again, in the James Franco interview Dave said he banned him from the show in 1999 after he caught him in Meryl Streep's dressing room going through her purse.  James said Harmony told him that he was "on something" and "pushed" Meryl Streep. I don't think there's any incident I want to hear more about in the world right now, and Dave said he's more than welcome to come back.

Sleepless

Korine was interviewed on the most recent Empire podcast and they asked him about the purse incident. He said he's happy for people to believe it if they want to or not. Whatever. Sounds like he was indeed pretty strung out at the time. He didn't sound bothered about the Letterman ban being lifted.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

This seems to sum it up, from HarmonyKorine.com:

A fourth appearance - to promote julien donkey-boy, released in US theaters on October 15, 1999 - was arranged for October 28, but as interviews ran overtime Korine was rescheduled for the following night. The opening credits for the October 29 show listed Korine's name, along with Meryl Streep and musician Natalie Merchant, and each time Letterman announced the night's guests Korine was still noted, but once again he did not appear.

What happened was later explained by Bruce LaBruce, who wrote in his his fornightly column for Toronto's Eye Weekly:
"As for Korine, consider his recent antics, which may have gotten him permanently banned from the Letterman show. I have it from one unconfirmed but close source that after being bumped for the second time in two weeks, this time in favour of the world's largest pumpkin, Harmful threw a tantrum in the Green Room and shoved Meryl Streep, causing Letterman to opine: "That kid's a hothead. He's not coming back on this show again." In my humble opinion, such a guest is exactly what Letterman's tired show needs and, after Music of the Heart, Streep could use some shoving."

wilder

Blu-ray on July 9, 2013

Spring Breakers - Amazon

Special Features:

Breaking it Down: Behind Spring Breakers" – A Behind-the-Scenes 3-Part Documentary
Part 1 – "Film Makers: Spring Breakers"
Part 2 – "Breaking Convention"
Part 3 – "Spring Breakers Forever"
Deleted Scene/Outtakes
"Harmony's Ear Candy" featurette – An Insightful Look at the Music of Spring Breakers
Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Harmony Korine
VICE featurettes - An Inside Look at the ATL Twins and Real Life Partying in Panama City Beach
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots

wilder

Unreleased Spring Breakers Teaser

Garam

How did this do in America? Was it a cross-over hit with the college crowd? Did the Disney stars make it a big deal?

Just curious cause i'd love Korine to get his hands on a big budget, haven't seen it yet but this really seems like the one that could act as springboard.

Pubrick

Quote from: Garam on May 19, 2013, 11:02:35 AM
How did this do in America? Was it a cross-over hit with the college crowd? Did the Disney stars make it a big deal?

not well enough to make korine the next shane black.

the budget on this thing was apparently just $5million but considering the amount of PRESS we've seen you can be pretty safe in guessing they flushed a lot more than that down the toilet trying to get people to see it.

from my understanding it was talked about very briefly and intensely on twitter by the audience that would have made it a hit, they unanimously agreed that it was a piece of shit. understandably so, since they're fucking idiots.
under the paving stones.

Garam

It's like, you're at the mercy of the gods, and they all have an IQ of about 82.

Oh well, can't blame the guy for trying.

i know i have missed the proverbial bus or whatever the vehicle is in the proverb but yeah here goes:

i enjoyed it but i completely understand and even sympathize with everyone that hated it.
i understand the younger crowd hating it bc it was kind of a trick to use a cast that is the polar opposite of the director, but i guess that's what film is about in a sense. you won't like this film if you don't like korine.
it was really different from his other films in my opinion, i was hoping it would be more gummo, even though i knew it wouldnt be from the excessive amount of promotion which has already been addressed.

i apologize if any of this sounds hoaky but:
the reason i liked the film is because ive grown up around a lot of the shit seen in the film. alabama is very much a party place because there isnt that much to do. also we are in very close proximity of both the notorious new orleans, and several of floridas party cities. and everyone that lives here frequents both constantly. this movie very accurately simulated the feeling of the kind of nights and days you spend in these places. it really becomes a dream after a while, so the cinematography was perfect. when you fall asleep after one of these kinds of parties, you have dreams that look like this movie. you're moving like underwater past seven different kinds of activity in a building that has more people in it than usual. things that are usually respected in a kind of passive way such as furniture and random possessions are treated with complete disregard, people are breaking their own shit and no one cares because everything is so happy. the whole time im thinking that korine just made the movie to be able to be around all that shit and capture it in a beautiful way.

the attempt to have a storyline was pointless because the movie did not need it for its purposes.

so in short:
the movie is beautiful but not necessarily good. franco is awesome and having way too much fun.

Mel

Funny little film. I enjoyed it much more than expected. I understand why it got so many bad reviews:
- Plot is thin, almost non-existing (could be annoying on second viewing - no?).
- No character development (they go to the party, they party, then go back - no real transformation).
- No dialogue: they speak, but they don't communicate. Words are used as commentary.
- It is mostly audio-visual experience with heavy reputation and vulgar juxtaposition.

For me it is ultimate pop music video. It does what studios would like to serve to teenage audience, but what they cannot. It is both satire and celebration of current western culture (parts of it). Funny little film, worth seeing for cinematography alone.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...