What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetnice propaganda

where did you cut and paste that one from?

~rougerum

Back of the laserdisc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Teen Wolf

I see what you mean, Golden Trumpet, about the validity of comparing Straw Dogs to Double Indemnity. (I was stretching on that one.) Sounds like you know your shit.

... and Macguffin: I have that same laserdisc.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Teen Wolf... and Macguffin: I have that same laserdisc.

My copy will soon be upgraded to:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

b/a

IN particular order:

1. Lost Highway
2. Come and See
3. Psycho
4. El Topo
5. Weekend
-------------------------------
6. The Trial (Orson Welles)
7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8. Wavelength
9. Dog Star Man
10. Carnival of Souls
"Film is truth 24 times a second"-JLG

Cecil

favorite top 5
1. clockwork orange
2. crash
3. lost highway
4. vivre sa vie (my life to live)
5. eraserhead

b/a

Quote from: cecil b. demented

3. lost highway

Nice!

Cecil

Quote from: b/a
5. Weekend

you have no idea how bad i want to see that film.

b/a

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: b/a
5. Weekend

you have no idea how bad i want to see that film.

Yeah, it's amazing. Godard's best in my opinion...and it has some pretty tough competition.

SubstanceD

AHHHHH.

In no Particular order and guarenteed to change over time:

1: Dawn Of The Dead

2: Red

3. Taxi Driver

4: Leon (Only the Directors Cut. I love the Professional so much, but when I first saw this version it was unbelievable how much better it was. My favortie scenes out of the movie are only on this version it's the bomb.)

5:Chungking Express

It's hard though huh to pick only five of them and what does that really mean to have to pick 5? Tastes are bound to change boyeeeee. Boo YA.
I'm outta here.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

ReelHotGames

5) Reservior Dogs
4) North by Northwest
3) Rear Window
2) House of Games
1) Magnolia

Five ain't enough :twisted:
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteIn no Particular order and guarenteed to change over time:

1: Dawn Of The Dead

2: Red

3. Taxi Driver

Hey I was just curious, why is Dawn of the Dead one of your top 5? I thought it was amusing and pretty funny n terms of how cheap it was.. But no way ever could it be in my top 5....!

But just wondering why its 1 of your top 5..

chris

Cecil

dawn of the dead is a masterpiece. thats probably why.

Rudie Obias

10.  THREE KINGS
*The visual style is so fresh and clean but at the same time it's gritty.  David O. Russell is a good up-and-coming director to lookout for.*

09.  JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS
*From the writers/directors Harry Elfont and Deborah Kaplan that brought you CAN'T HARDLY WAIT.  The production design alone is worth the view.  It is very good and it's very clever for a teen movie.  Not too many people would agree with me about how great this movie I but my taste are my own.*

08.  NORTH BY NORTHWEST
*My favorite Alfred Hitchcock film.  It has the best action sequence in film history.  The last big production film from Hitchcock.

07.  BEFORE SUNRISE
*The cutest romantic comedy/drama out there from writer/director Richard Linklater.  It's so smart and cool!*

06.  CHUNGKING EXPRESS
*This film tuned me on to foreign art films.  Director Wong Kar-Wai is brilliant, it's very fresh and stylish, simply cool.  It's put out by Quentin Tarantino's rolling thunder pictures.*

05.  ZERO EFFECT
*The most unappreciated movie of the 90s!  It's one of the best mystery/crime films to come out of Hollywood.  Director Jake Kasdan also directed ORANGE COUNTY and TVs UNDECLARED.  If you liked the USUAL SUSPECTS (which is the most overrated movie of the 90s) then you should check this one out. *

04.  JACKIE BROWN
*This is my favorite film from Quentin Tarantino.  It has the sharpest dialogue and the most focused style out of his films.  It has the one thing Jean-Luc Godard said about making a good film, "all you need to make a good film is a girl and a gun".  The soundtrack kicks fuckin' ass with "Across 110th Street".*

03.  MAGNOLIA
*WOW!  Such a smart and well written film.  From the one and only Paul Thomas Anderson.  Genius!  This is an example of how film is definitely art.  It is a classic.*

02.  RUSHMORE
*An enjoyable film with one of the best written characters in films.  In my opinion, the best character in film, Max Fischer played by Jason Schwartzman.  Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson are very clever writers and Wes Anderson is a great American director.*

01.  CITIZEN KANE
*I know, but it's sorta cop-out.  It is the best film ever made and I really can't put anything at #1 because I know CITIZEN KANE is good.  Orson Wells was a revolutionary writer/director.*

honorable mention:

ADRENALINE DRIVE by Shinobu Yaguchi
THE VIRGIN SUICIDES by Sofia Coppola
BAND OF OUTSIDERS by Jean-Luc Godard
DONNIE DARKO by Richard Kelly
GHOST WORLD by Terry Zwigoff
FALLEN ANGELS by Wong Kar-Wai
WAKING LIFE by Richard Linklater
PERFECT BLUE by Satoshi Kon
THE 400 BLOWS by Francois Truffaut
BUFFALO 66 by Vincent Gallo
CHASING AMY by Kevin Smith
BATTLE ROYALE by Kinji Fukasaku
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks