INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Cloudy

On Cigs Twitter they said IV will be in the 2014 Oscars race. Is that actually possible? Are they going to do a quick edit?

punchdrunkboogie

Misunderstanding. Interpreted 2014 oscar race as end of next year, not this year.
Boom. Bang. Larrabee. 91 Hunjee. Hi there. Bye there.

C&RV

Lottery

Wrapping up already. Crazy.

If it's roughly 2 hours, it should be satisfying. But even then, a fair chunk of the story would be missing (or rushed).

Cloudy

Does anyone else have the weirdest feeling knowing a PTA film wrapped? It's just such an odd concept. That sort of finitude for a PTA film doesn't feel right.

*I haven't gotten to listening to Joanna Newsom's stuff until that IV tidbit, and I'm completely blown away. This one's been on constant replay in the past couple of weeks of my life. Her music is so alien and unique and full of every mood, especially this song.

Rooty Poots

Totally off topic, but my best friend did a cover of Joanna Newsom's "Sprout and the Bean" in my house several years ago:

Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Cloudy

Definitely the most informed article on Pynchon's history I've found.

http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/08/thomas-pynchon-bleeding-edge.html

jenkins

lit chat:

informed as any other article. that's the known info

been in bookstore discussions and around people who treat the topic with seriousness to know there isn't a rule about how to say his last name, which begins the article, but it's true that what's offered will impress your group of reading friends or idk. barthelme is the same way. in movie land it's like kieslowski or haneke -- knowing how to say those names will impress people i guess, but if the person cares most about how you say it, drop the conversation anyway

the tragic death of fariña is a story you'll always hear

a dfw quote, of course. famous quote, 'cause dfw said it

puns, yes. pynchon is well-known for his puns. so well-known you gotta mention them again and again, and get ready for your closing paragraph

movie chat:

best part for understanding inherent vice

QuoteThe poet Bill Pearlman, who knew him in those days, once wrote that he "got the impression Pynchon wanted no part of the middle-class adult world"—that he "got more pleasure and information from the young, and was in some ways childlike himself." There grew around Pynchon, by the beach, something that looks from the distance of years like a cult—a cult of privacy, at least, which paradoxically helped cement the legend of Tom the Recluse. "He was surrounded by a group of people that protected him fiercely," says Jim Hall, a peripheral member, "and you either were accepted on some level or you were not."

the way the article tells movie news, and the way that surprises you, compares the lit/movie info

QuoteInherent Vice, for instance, starring a perma-stoned "gum-sandal" detective, owed a lot to the characters Pynchon knew in Manhattan Beach. Maybe it speaks to his special fondness for the book—or just the bucket-list dreams of a movie-mad author—that it's soon to become his first novel adapted for the screen. It's currently being directed in L.A. by the "imperial" auteur Paul Thomas Anderson, with Joaquin Phoenix in the lead.

Cloudy

Josh Brolin DP/30, Cigs Post
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2013/09/josh-brolin-talks-inherent-vice-calls.html?m=1

Has anyone realized by now how PTA has this "method" approach to directing? If you listen to actors/crew speak about his sets, for each film I hear a completely different vibe (making constant left-turns obviously helps too). It's honestly brilliant. And completely necessary. What Josh Brolin just described is the feeling of reading a Pynchon novel.

Lottery

Yeah, does anyone know what he's had going on for his last few films. I've seen bits and pieces of his method and all the behind the scenes stuff is beautiful. I just wish I kid spend a few weeks on a shoot with him. Just spying on him. Just to see how he gets 'it' and gets it on the screen.

jenkins

Quote from: Cloudy on September 16, 2013, 11:40:27 PM
Josh Brolin DP/30, Cigs Post
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2013/09/josh-brolin-talks-inherent-vice-calls.html?m=1

Has anyone realized by now how PTA has this "method" approach to directing? If you listen to actors/crew speak about his sets, for each film I hear a completely different vibe (making constant left-turns obviously helps too). It's honestly brilliant. And completely necessary. What Josh Brolin just described is the feeling of reading a Pynchon novel.

enjoy your pynchon wave. i think ending your post that way shows a perception of the pynchon process and accentuates a shared pta and pynhcon commitment to characters creating their narrative's waves. pynchon uses writing rhythms to mirror the pop of his characters, and i don't think anyone in the room would disagree that pta uses cinematic rhythms to pop his characters

thing i cherish about cinema is you get the writing with the cinema,

so another reason i enjoy your pynchon wave is there's more literary excitement to this conversation, than there was when the conversation was about upton sinclair. this time, like i've said, pta is using the pta of literature

if you know pta better, it's like this: oil is by sinclair, who wrote enduring social and political realism that's so stonecold classic pta chopped into the book, but here the difference is pynchon morphed the possibilities of literature as an art form

my guess is pta fans will be happy to know the very reasons iv didn't upon-release magnetize the literature crowd are related to pta's attractive qualities. qualities that seem too mellow as a literary execution are capable of being perfectly understood and portrayed by pta. i agree with cloudy the linked discussion highlights shared traits between the two

i went through an la reading phase and landed on iv when i wasn't sure i wanted to land on iv. i have frustrations from adaptations. translating literature to cinema -- tough. pynchon into cinema -- touuugh. so tough you'd love to see it. as an artist, pta is being tough. having read iv, i know pta knows what's necessary. this is where pta can pull off pynchon. i'm excited to see how he pulls this off,

as a movie person i'm excited to see how pta uses cinema to do this

Punch

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Frederico Fellini

WHAAAAAAAT!   Does that mean that PTA finally watched the wire?
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Kellen

Cloudy

Josh Brolin & Mark Protosevich Talk Their Vision Of 'Oldboy', Steven Spielberg's Version & 'Inherent Vice'
On IV:
"My dad said recently, and I really appreciated it, 'There's a lot of directors out there but there's very few storytellers.' And working with these extreme geeks like myself who are very much these film fanatics is so nice. You're in this kind of iconic awe, and then you get to the set and you go, 'Okay, I actually have to work, we actually want to make this as good as I can be.' Like with Paul: he was taking stuff out of 'Inherent Vice', whittling away at what was in the book, and I was saying wouldn't it be great if we could bring some of what was in the book back," Brolin said. "Who the fuck am I to say that, you know what I mean?"

He added, "But then we start collaborating and putting stuff in there, and realizing, 'Okay...let's take it out, let's colorize it even more with something else, and then how are we going do this on set?' You realize all the work you've done around a table was meaningless, but it fed something. You don't know what it was, but you're always looking for that elusive thing."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/josh-brolin-mark-protosevich-talk-their-vision-of-oldboy-steven-spielbergs-version-inherent-vice-20131112?page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

jenkins

Quote from: Cloudy on November 12, 2013, 10:55:43 PM
Like with Paul: he was taking stuff out of 'Inherent Vice', whittling away at what was in the book

:yabbse-thumbup: