The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

Ravi

Those Australian ratings logos are fugly.

Pubrick

there's nothing to like about them. they're huge and they ruin covers. they should be rallied up with the awkward C and executed.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Network
Bagdad Cafe
Metropolitan

squints

flagpole seems a bit lonely in this thread.
here's the last four flicks I rented and marathoned.

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

inside man on fire

fire was stupid but i was happy to find out they got rid of a denzel/radha sex subplot, i would've hated her. inside was better cos of clive who is becoming my new man crush and cos they stuck it to the man. fire had surprisingly good perf by marc anthony, lots of funny things to say about the movie overall, a great movie to yell things at.

hey it's a rental review, u get what you pay for.
under the paving stones.

gob

Quote from: flagpolespecial on November 25, 2006, 04:51:56 AM

Z Channel - A Magnificent Obsession (doco) (REGION 4)

I really love this, found I've been able to watch it quite a lot in the relatively short time I've owned it. I think it's partly to do with the fact that it's just cool seeing film peeps I like geeking out over movies.

Ravi

Fernando

Of all these I liked The Shield, MV and GNaGL. The code was really boring and domino was ok.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

OrHowILearnedTo

Pubrick

and from the herzog doco box set:
disc 2 for the first film, and last week i got disc 6 also for the first film (they were all good):

here's a nice pic from Land of Silence and Darkness

and the rest..

and that's how you rent movies.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

bonanzataz

i've been paying all this money for netflix, a service i used to use like crazy when it first came out, and i've had the same three movies for months now. i finally got around to watching this:

what a beautiful movie. i'm amazed by how much i enjoyed it considering the last time i sat and watched a movie was starship troopers, like, over a month ago. nothing blows up in this one.

in related news, i saw leelee sobieski dancing on a stripper pole the weekend before and thought of good ole joan burning on the stake. nice to know leelee's still alive at least.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

over the next week.

probly in that order.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

from the past week:

little miss cutey patootey is in this but not in the way you might think when you read the synopsis - dude's daughter was abducted, a year later his life is still pretty much shattered. so i thought maybe she was gonna be in flashbacks but that's not the case at all. damian lewis of new/cancelled tv show Life OWNS this movie in which, sorta like ellie parker, he plays a different kind of NUTCASE in every scene. it's not meant to be funny though and he'll have you alternately hating his character, being bored by him and ultimately hoping against hope that he'll make it through without destroying himself. lodge kerrigan of Clean Shaven/criterion fame did this, and he restrains the showiness of the title role by maintaining an atmosphere of indifference which really pays off.

similar to The Woodsman in terms of a man fighting against himself in order to live with himself. his mental torment is depicted such that it grips you in key moments, especially if you're the kind of person who likes to yell shit at the screen like me. personal redemption remains my all time favourite theme, so take that into account along with my recommendation.

this was kinda boring wasn't it? not worth finding the actual thread. the best part was the crazy shit towards the end when we see the origin of the "contract", dude swallows a star! that's really awesome. also a big fan of endless tears. otherwise nothing to recommend unless you're already a fan. no wonder wallace and gromit beat it, and that was pretty forgettable too.

i wanna jump on the joe wright horse drawn carriage. my best friend's gf LOVES the BBC version and will die by colin firth's side. i hav no attachment to the book or previous incarnations of the story, so this pretty much rules as far as i'm concerned. HOWEVER -- on the dvd extras i watched an "alternate US ending" -- did you freaks see a different version? our cut ends with *spoiler* the scene where donald sutherland has given his consent and then summons darcy and giggles to himself -- cut to credits *spoiler* whereas the alternate US ending adds a further unnecessary scene. but i guess if you didn't love it by that point, a redundant final scene wouldn't make a difference. my only real complaint is i don't like keira knightley's lower jaw, her chin protrudes and her teeth are giving themselves constant curbies.

classic rental. i kept hearing about how this was unjustly ignored by the world. and it is. after his WTF "performance" in Scott Beowulf 3D, i didn't think it would be so soon until malkovich was redeemed. this is just a bizarre movie that benefits greatly from his aloof persona. tom ripley isn't a pretty boy anymore, and all that remains of his homsexuality (bi?) are malkovich's gentle voice and predilection for anal intercourse. ! no kidding. writing capsule reviews is fun.
under the paving stones.