The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Rented Incident at Loch Ness and Downfall on Saturday... didn't have time to watch Downfall.  I have to return it in an hour..

Currently from Netflix: Au Hasard Balthazar, Breaking the Waves, To Live and Die in L.A.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Pubrick

The Singing Detective - the original bbc series
The Leopard - the australian copy of the criterion disc
The Eye - cos polkablues raved about it so much
Pickpocket - and
L'Argent - cos i'm crazy like dat.
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Quote from: GingerCurrently from Netflix: Au Hasard Balthazar

i do too

as well as mystery train and videodrome

barry lyndon is on it's way

Brazoliange

Audition (Uncut version)
Oldboy
Spider (Cronenberg)
Long live the New Flesh

Pubrick

the battle of algiers
manufacturing consent
northfork
sholay

at least one great review will hav to come of this.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

1..the short films of david lynch
2..eraserhead

Pwaybloe

Herrr...

1) Samurai Spy
2) Last Days
3) Kill!

hedwig

Ravi

squints

how was stray dog? i almost picked it up to buy
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

Squints, I watched Stray Dog today.  Very good film.  On the surface its a thriller but its also an examination of post-war Japan.  I don't think you'd be disappointed if you bought it.

Redlum

Terrible cover. Great film.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pubrick

gonna watch them in that order.
under the paving stones.

squints

i just realized that i haven't rented a movie in over two years. Probably because if i ever have the money to pay off the late fees, i'd just rather spend it on a criterion.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Quote from: squints on April 01, 2006, 04:06:10 PM
i just realized that i haven't rented a movie in over two years. Probably because if i ever have the money to pay off the late fees, i'd just rather spend it on a criterion.
this is normally where i would tell you to get Netflix but since they refused to send me Capote all week, yeah.  fuck em.  just blind buy your criterions...  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.