The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

joeybdot

modage

i just watched the original Cape Fear tonite for the first time (i havent seen the Scorsese one in years), so i cant compare off the top of my head, but i can say that this one was quite good.  it didnt waste any time getting into it, and the last act was just brilliantly staged suspense.  robert mitchum was an excellent psychopath yet again, (although i think i still preferred Night of the Hunter), but this would make a good companion piece to that for a double feature for anyone who hasnt seen either.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

i'm trying out the 5 films in the recently released Shadows, Lies and Private Eyes FILM NOIR boxset before i decide to buy it.  but if they're all near as good as this one, thats $35 as good as spent.  tonite i watched Murder, My Sweet which was another Raymond Chandler Phillip Marlowe tale, of which I've seen a few previously.  this one was quite different from the Big Sleep which i thought was a little underwhelming with pretty static direction (of actors and look and pacing).  this one was filled with twists, great cinematography and the best dialogue.  the coen bros. kept coming to mind as they've said they have gotten inspiration from chandlers writing and it was certainly evident here.  i'd also never seen Dick Powell in anything before but he was great in the role.  this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and anyone who says they dont like old movies should watch this anyways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

working my way through the boxset, which looks like it will be a purchase soon, i watched Gun Crazy and Asphalt Jungle.  gun crazy was a pretty good bonnie and clyde like tale, although a little silly in a reefer madness sort of way where you could see them drawing a bit of a line between 'look parents!  you think your kids are just playing with bb guns innocently now, but look where that can lead!'  but, the thing that kept the movie from being just a relic was that it never turned its characters into cariactures.  they were always sympathetic and with every wrong move they made you still wanted to see them be okay.  it was a pretty skillfull manuever considering how easy it would've been to demonize the characters.   the asphalt jungle was also pretty good.  it was a heist movie that seemed to be the forerunner of the killing (also starring sterling hayden).  and although i preferred the killing, where that movie focused more on the heist, this one really focused on the characters who all had to receive their comeupence.  and the final moments were pretty darn sad.

Stefen

Modernage is spamming this thread. Is it that important to tell us EVERYTHING you watch?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

At least he's posting FILM related stuff, in my book, his point of view is always very welcome. I wish I could see as much flims as he does.

Stefen

So do I. But I have a job. j/k.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

i guess i'll make this quick since no one cares.  i finished up the film noir boxset with The Setup and Out of the Past.  The Setup was an interesting movie because where i thought it would show the fight and have the character decide whether he would take a fall or not and move onto the repercussions, the whole movie takes place during the fight practically.  a lot of the way the fight was filmed reminded me of Raging Bull, (i imagine on the commentary Scorsese probably says something to this effect.)  it was pretty good.  Out of the Past had a great setup, but just didnt quite pull together a great film.  the dialogue wasnt quite snappy enough or there wasnt quite enough emotional turmoil, but still a good try.  i was probably too harsh because i watched it last and Murder My Sweet was SO GOOD none of the other 5 could compare.  so i RECOMMEND that one strongly to everyone and will probably end up getting this boxset soon.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i guess i'll make this quick since no one cares.

I do. Know that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: a few posts above Iin my book, his (Mac' better half) point of view is always very welcome.

Bethie

I'm going to start posting what I've been watching because I watch a lot ..then you'll all want to hump my leg or something.

Before Sunrise. I see you all whoring this film so I put it on my Netflix list. (which I just signed up for a few days ago.) I fell in love with Jesse and Celine as they fell in love with eachother. Such a sense of realism.

Love in The Afternoon. I  love Billy Wilder and I just adore Audrey Hepburn. I was finally able to see this film thanks to Netflix. I couldn't find it at any of the local movie rental places. But yeah, I'd fall in love with Hepburn too.  
who likes movies anyway

matt35mm

Oh I never looked in this thread before.  I dunno why...

I've been movie-binging all summer!  Netflix with 5 movies at a time.  I've kept a list of all the movies I've been watching.  Since June 10th (it's August 9th today) I've seen 59 movies--63 if you count repeated viewings.

I've been packing them in like that because I don't get to watch movies much during the school year.  2 or 3 movies a month, maybe.  So I put everything that I wanted to watch on the list and I've been having a lot of fun!  I've even managed to have a bit of an actual life and read books and write a bit, even with all the movie-mayhem going on.

Awesome Summer so far!

cine