The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

bonanzataz

ok, so, another quick decision must be made. Blue, The Sweet Hereafter, It's All About Love, or That Obscure Object of Desire?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ono

Quote from: bonanzatazok, so, another quick decision must be made. Blue, The Sweet Hereafter, It's All About Love, or That Obscure Object of Desire?
Which Blue?  There's two.  TOOoD is good.  Blue is good, too.  Don't know about the other two, but TSH is supposed to be good, too.  I'd only see Kieslowski's Blue if I had White and Red to immediately follow.  They're better as a collection.  Knowing you and your love of Lynch, I'd say see TOOoD.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

Dude, you should totally watch Goonies

modage

in my search for 'diamonds in the rough' i watched this tonite hoping for a gem.  i had heard good things about it, (ebert gave it 3 stars) and thought it was worth a shot. it was okay.  part 1984, part matrix, part total recall, etc. but not as good as any. some interesting ideas here (mostly because they originate from elsewhere) and it seems like they did a good job making it on a small budget, but its not something i would recommend.  and if i hadnt said it enough before, christian bale has weird lips.  that is all.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

as much as I like Christian Bale as American Psycho and I'm looking forward to see him as Bruce Wayne... I saw this movie and was dissapointed... It could have been done excellently but I just didnt find it so interesting after a while...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02
in my search for 'diamonds in the rough' i watched this tonite hoping for a gem.  i had heard good things about it, (ebert gave it 3 stars) and thought it was worth a shot. it was okay.  part 1984, part matrix, part total recall, etc. but not as good as any. some interesting ideas here (mostly because they originate from elsewhere) and it seems like they did a good job making it on a small budget, but its not something i would recommend.  and if i hadnt said it enough before, christian bale has weird lips.  that is all.
A friend made me see that. Putting aside the fact that it's a complete 1984 rip off, some of the most amazing action scenes ever. Definitely rivals the best Matrix fights. Even though they used the cheesy "shoot the fight scenes slow and speed them up" technique.

bonanzataz

so i watched sweet hereafter (duderino spoke first, after all). that was pretty heavy viewing, though, i must admit, after hearing everybody talk about it i thought it would be a lot heavier. i thought they would play up on that "town with no children" issue, but it really stayed pretty central to ian holm's character. if anybody hasn't seen it and likes introspective character studies (as i do), rent this one. i wouldn't watch it again though, i don't think. though i'm sure i could get more out of it with a repeat viewing. hmmm... maybe i'll hang onto it and watch with commentary. does anybody know if the commentary is any good?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazdoes anybody know if the commentary is any good?

That's one of my favorite commentary tracks, but that's also because I'm an Egoyan fan. It's a good track with him and Russell Banks discussing the adaptation and the characters.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02christian bale has weird lips.

hahahahahaha.........

joeybdot

Every Thursday I got to a local movie rental store which is one of the biggest in the United States, they currently have 40,000 movies in stock and counting. Each Thursday they have rent 2 get one free, So each week i get 3 movies... So heres last Weeks-

meatball

picolas

bonanzataz