The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

ShanghaiOrange

Last two movies I rented:

8 1/2:  :)  8)  8)  8) :)   :!:  :(
The Spanish Prisoner: Nice little Mamet caper film. Some of the clues got a little heavyhanded near the end though ("You got your fingerprints all over your new book.") A bunch of plot holes too, but fun nonetheless. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ravi

Quote from: cecil b. dementedwith bicycle thief, i think he was reffering to this:

Quote from: PawbloeUsing nonprofessional actors and dubbing will get you nowhere fast.

not the director

Yes, that is correct.

I rented "Blue" last week.  Excellent.

Duck Sauce

I watched Philadelphia today. Entertaining.

EL__SCORCHO

I'm renting episodes of "The Decalogue", really good shit.

Gold Trumpet

I finally rented Rules of Attraction. Didn't like it, but liked it more than I thought I would. Handling of the movie is well done, but sympathy or care where it is asked to be put in place in mostly non existent. Shannyn Sossamon, of however you spell her name, is really hot. I could watch a movie alone for her being in it. Also, the sequence that shows Victor's European trip is amazing, and alone could hold up as a very good short film of sorts. I honestly never had seen a sequence like that before in any movie and this was even more rewarding. It's sad though, because there was talent in the filmmaking, but a need to rely on things that are not really important nor interesting.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

8 Women - Enjoyable for most of the time, with its delicate 1950s style comedy that keeps on bringing up cute revelations and good chemistry between the actresses but the revelations end up getting too tiresome and get overtly too dramatic at the end that makes the film numbing and hard to finish.

The Crime of Padre Amaro - Very good film that starts out in a small way and seems to have low expectations but keeps on adding new skins and I got thoroughly involved and by the end of it, very moved.

Rabbit-Proof Fence - Great movie that does what The Quiet American couldn't and that is bring us under the skin of a world, to have direction completely confident in tackling the subject matter. A great experience.

I have rented and watched other movies since last posting here, but only could remember these.

~rougerum

Keener

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI always wondered why no one ever began a thread that dealt with what people rented and what they thought of them since a lot of the movies watched is from video rentals.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/zombie84/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=230
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Sal

Today was the first time I actually went to a rental house in almost a year.  My policy is, catch it at theatres and/or buy it on DVD.  But today I read some things on Lars Von Triar that interested me so I made a stop to BB and rented Dancer In The Dark, which I have yet to watch.  Also rented Waiting for Guffman, which I hadn't seen and was somewhat underwhelmed with.  The performances were fantastic, but I thought Best In Show was much better.  I even liked A Mighty Wind more.

modage

misc. responses...

uhh, i like shannon sossamon as well.  but not the movie "secretary".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

last things i rented last time i went, which was......saturday (?).......i rented spinal tap, no cure for cancer (love denis leary), jackass (hehe im ashamed to say i liked it alot), and crimes and misdemeanors....it was a fun night.

bonanzataz

Rebecca Miller's movie "Angela" which I had never heard of until recently. It was good, check it out. I also have Touch of Evil and Funny Games here which I haven't watched yet, but I'll watch one or the other tonight.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

RegularKarate

Quote from: bonanzatazRebecca Miller's movie "Angela" which I had never heard of until recently. It was good, check it out. I also have Touch of Evil and Funny Games here which I haven't watched yet, but I'll watch one or the other tonight.

Fuck... Funny Games.. that's flick's good fun... I enjoyed it quite a bit... If your copy has the trailer, don't watch it before you see the movie though.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: bonanzatazRebecca Miller's movie "Angela" which I had never heard of until recently. It was good, check it out. I also have Touch of Evil and Funny Games here which I haven't watched yet, but I'll watch one or the other tonight.

Fuck... Funny Games.. that's flick's good fun... I enjoyed it quite a bit... If your copy has the trailer, don't watch it before you see the movie though.

Isn't Funny Games the same director as The Piano Teacher? Now, I loved Piano Teacher, but I'm afraid to watch Funny Games for the same reason I keep meaning to re-watch Reservoir Dogs but can't quite bring myself to: I have an aversion to really graphic and/or prolonged torture scenes in films. Don't get me wrong: I loved Dogs (years ago when I saw it), The Marathon Man, etc, but... torture scenes make me squeamish, and I feel I need to be forewarned about this Funny Games before I dive in. Doesn't someone break into a family 's home and then basically physically torture them? Am I mistaken on this? And if so, how disturbing is it, on a Reservoir Dogs scale, with, say, Salo being a 10, Dogs being a 7, and Clockwork Orange or Dressed to Kill being a 3 (the more stylized it is, the less disturbing I find it)?

I do plan to see Irreversible, too. I'm not a wimp, but some things are just harder for me to watch than others, and one-on-one cruelty involving physical violence/rape/mutilation tops my list.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

yes... same director... he also did a piece on the lumiere and company film...

It's pretty brutal from what I remember... in a kind of unforgiving way too.  It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I'd give it a hmmm... an 8?  Maybe... how much does the emotional torture bothers you?  Because that's a big factor.