Inexpensive Dolly Ideas

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 15, 2003, 04:25:51 PM

SoNowThen

I love that ad. It's everything wonderful about Hollywood. "Here's a camera you young movie geeks would like. Here's an expensive but almost within your reach piece of equipment to support that camera. Oh, and here's a super hot babe obvious model who would never ever fucking ever be using this camera or rig, but damn man she looks good and we know you're lonely and horny".

Yes, yes, and yes. God bless you Glidecam.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

knightly

I'm going to be guying a US$60 Garden cart from a farm supply store.  Big pneumatic tires that I can slightly deflate.  I was looking at all the big toys and ttried to find a cheaper analog for them.  This seems to fit the bill.  Just add a barstool strapped to it, and you can plant a camera operator on it too.

bigperm

Made this over the past weekend, I have another set of 8' track, working out the kinks, will be put to the test in April/May. So far, working fine.  So, just under 16' of track all together.

All in all, spent roughly $100, all parts from Home Depot.

*Note, in the CU of the track, one piece of wood missing, we had taken it off to cut the length down.

So far, testing baby powder to help the glide, sanding wood, greasing casters, and the grooves on the wood, with weight on the dolly, I'd say it's a success, also going to add an adjustable seat soon.
Safe As Milk

Pwaybloe

I like the design.  

I was thinking of a similar idea using drawer rollers, but extended lengths were hard to find in a hardware store.  And, obviously, more expensive than your idea.  Withstanding weight would also be a factor.

I know you said you've tested the glide with different styles of lubricants, but does the surface of the wheels when it rolls lead to a shake noticeable in the camera?  Even on a clean surface?

bigperm

Camera test is pending, I'll report back as soon as I get it done.
Safe As Milk

thadius sterling

http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/

I shelled out the 30 bucks for this and it is VERY VERY helpful, it has alot of inexpensive variations and specific tools to make with easy to find materials. I reccomend it if you are in need of dolly or steady cam or crane, etc, in the future

thadius sterling

also infact if you know specifically what you want I could just scan the instructions and share (it's not stealing if you need it =P)

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

i had an idea to use a bicycle, could be more for steady cam, but i think one could incorporate a dolly just as well...The idea is in the works(a couple years running), but pretty much, I'm having a buddy who is mechanic weld me some shit, and help with all the metal issues and pieces...

Gut out a mountain bike - remove the chain, cranks, pedals, and both sprockets etc.(may have to get an additional front tire, to throw on the back)

remove the seat, and what i initially did was made it to where the top of the seat post is the attachment for the tripod was...very quiet, very smooth cam movements, and sets you up for a track sort of as well

also, first i made an awesome crane, and i think if you substitute a crane instead of a regular straight bar, possibilities open

I'm sure this isn't an original idea, has anyone else heard of something similar, or possibly made one?

my 2 cents
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.