City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

Pubrick

not to mention their mass child slaughters, and illegal drug trafficking.
under the paving stones.

cine

don't forget the genocide.

SoNowThen

Ah, so funny. As I got up this morning, I thought to myself "oh man, it's like, two weeks until I finally get City Of God".

Guess not.

:cry:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: themodernage02
Buena Vista have kindly got in touch with us regarding a delay for the region one release of City of God which stars the likes of Jefechander Suplino, Alice Braga and Emerson Gomes. The film was originally scheduled for a release on the 17th February, although it has now been put back until the 8th June this year. Presumably this has something to do with the recent Oscar nominations. The retail price will remain at $29.99.

Psssh.  At least mine was funny.

pete

Quote from: Cinephiledon't forget the genocide.

don't forget to kill P's joke.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

Well this was released in DVD in Latin America and Europe long time ago... I dont understand why the hell are they delaying this so much... I would think that the Oscar's is a good momentum for them to sell a lot of DVDs here...

Ravi

Quote from: andykWell this was released in DVD in Latin America and Europe long time ago... I dont understand why the hell are they delaying this so much... I would think that the Oscar's is a good momentum for them to sell a lot of DVDs here...

They haven't even bothered to release Hero at all in North America.  I don't know why.  Maybe they're trying to get the English dubbing just right  :roll:

pete

let's not forget Shaolin Soccer or the fact that cinema paradisio had an hour of it cut.
- Buster Keaton

The Big Lebowski

I bought Hero on DVD in Boston this past summer.  All you have to do is special order the DVD from some video store.  I am going to do that with City of God.  Now that I have to wait until June to buy the darn movie.  Hero is a little over rated but a good film (a rip off of Rashomon).

Jeremy Blackman

Not to despair, Disney has been served swift revenge!

:yabbse-grin:

pete

Quote from: The Big LebowskiI bought Hero on DVD in Boston this past summer.  All you have to do is special order the DVD from some video store.  I am going to do that with City of God.  Now that I have to wait until June to buy the darn movie.  Hero is a little over rated but a good film (a rip off of Rashomon).

no way hero's a ripoff of rashomon; its multiple-story structure is pretty different from rashomon's.  rashomon was an argument against absolute truth, that there's no one truth, while part of Hero was about seeking that truth beneath passion, loyalty...etc.  It's not to say that I liked Hero that much...its script is incredibly weak, especially all of the director's attempt to "intellectualize" martial arts (through weak chess, music, and calligraphy metaphors) because he knows very little about.  There's a lot of posturing going on, and oftentimes substitutes graduer with melodrama, but the fight scenes and art direction did a great deal of damage control.
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

I really wanna see Hero. Is it out on R1 dvd yet?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenI really wanna see Hero. Is it out on R1 dvd yet?

No. It gets a (limited) theatrical release April 16th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

a bunch of my friends got the DVDs on hkflix.com, I gots mine in chinatown, but just last december miramax sent a notice to all them online shops, about how it's a violation of the US law to sell Hero.
- Buster Keaton

modage

Fernando Meirelles didn't expect this. In fact, he thought so little of his Oscar chances that he made other plans for the day of this year's announcements. It was a lunch date with espionage writer John le Carré, whose novel ''The Constant Gardener'' is the basis for Meirelles' next film. But when the 48-year-old director of ''City of God'' found out that his name would be immortalized in Oscar's Class of 2003, Meirelles and his lunch companion cracked open a couple of beers to celebrate. ''I didn't think this was the kind of film the Academy Awards would go for,'' says the Brazilian director, just back from lunch and still quite shocked. ''A film in Portuguese, nominated in four categories -- it's really unusual.''

True. But then again, almost everything about ''City of God'' feels unusual: its slow-building, word-of-mouth success; the unrelenting assault of its documentary-style depiction of the violent slums of Rio de Janeiro; and, most of all, its seemingly out-of-nowhere creator -- the TV and commercials director who more than a few critics have compared to the Martin Scorsese of ''Mean Streets.''

Named after one of Rio's bleakest and most notorious housing projects, ''City of God'' is about the other Brazil -- the squalid shantytowns populated by dead-end kids who run drugs and wave guns before they've hit puberty. Even more unsettling is the fact that many of these kids are nonprofessional performers who aren't really acting. ''All those boys we worked with, they all came from slums,'' says Meirelles, crediting the efforts of ''codirector'' Katia Lund in training the young cast. ''Some of them worked for drug dealers. They knew much more than me about the film I was doing.'' Armed with only his camera, Meirelles is less the director of ''City of God'' than the film's Virgil, leading us all through hell.

-------------------------------------------
"We made a concious decision to keep this movie in theatres for 54 weeks," says Miramax chairman Harvey Weinstein, who rereleased City of God 3 times based in part on word-of-mouth in Hollywood.  Russell Crowe, Matt Damon, and Quentin Tarantino, he says, all told him: "I love this movie."
Quote from: Pyeah.. wasn't this film co-directed by a chick, Katia Lund? what is going on here, is she invisible?
Quote from: SoNowThenOn a current bootleg box going around in this indie rental place, she's the only one listed as director...the mystery continues

One last bit of Oscar intrigue hangs over City of God.  Though nominated as sole director, Meirelles collaborated with documentary filmmaker Katia Lund, who is credited on the movie as codirector.  Meirelles unabashedly praises Lund's "important" contributions but adds that her role was limited to working with the cast of amateur actors.  Asked why Lund wasn't nominated, Weinstein says, "That's a good question.  Fernando and Katia have to determine that amongst themselves.  We'll certainly go to the Academy and ask them to make a ruling."  For Meirelles, the ruling will be irrelevent because he's convinced he won't win the damn thing anyway.  "I really think Peter Jackson will win.  He deserves to."  he says, "But you bet I'll be there!"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.