Arrested Development

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 24, 2004, 12:25:59 AM

modage

those last 4 episodes were really good.  and the last episode was an especially nice bookend to the first.  god i hope thats not the end.  i'm terribly depressed now.  and it WAS a better show than curb.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I'm almost okay with the idea that this was the end.  Look at the original Office: 12 episodes plus the finale, and that was it.  But it added up to a body of work that was perfect.  AD got 53 episodes, and managed to end it on four of the most sublimely brilliant half-hours they've ever produced.  Maybe that's enough.

Then again, I want it back.  And I want it now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

SOME SPOILERS

Those were some very strong episodes.  I loved how they brought Anyang in the last episode.  Brilliant.

I'm depressed too, but the intro said "season finale" so there's a glimmer of hope that Showtime will pick it up.  I'm not going to expect it, though. 

Polka, I thought that they had done as much as they could have with The Office, but AD has such a frenetic style with so many characters and settings popping in and out that it could go on for a few more seasons.  What a pity that they only had a 13 episode third season.

It is revealed that Anne is 18.  Did she get held back a few times?  George Michael is only 15.

I Love a Magician

I haven't been able to catch much of season three (one episode discounting tonight's), but these fur episodes tonight were about as perfect as they could've been.

modage

george michael is driving on his own now so he's got to be atleast 16.  maybe 17 by now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

nice avatar, mod.  i haven't watched the four episodes yet, i taped em though.  looking forward to it. 

72teeth

and i can't believe they even got to throw in a blue velvet reference!!!

spoil of a great line-----> Why are there puppets like, Frank!?

:bravo:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

pete

I dunno, that still felt like a season finale as opposed to a grand finale.  maybe a christmas special?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modage on February 10, 2006, 09:12:32 PM
and it WAS a better show than curb.

You know, I didn't believe it until I watched seasons 1 and 2 over one weekend.  But it's true. 

Gamblour.

The last four were awesome, damn funny lines, like: SPOILERS

"Who ever said vegetables were good for your heart?"
WWPTAD?

JG

Quote from: pete on February 11, 2006, 12:38:53 PM
I dunno, that still felt like a season finale

i don't man, it felt like the perfect way to cap everything off.  the way the first episode parallels the last.  especially with the recycling of the line, "actually i was gonna say breakfast..." 

the first 2 if 4 were really good but the last two were amazing.  maybe the best episodes.  especially cause the stakes were so high.  was it me or did the prosecution guy have some of the funniest lines?  "Now you can imagine the surprise if this was on right when i turned on the television!"  priceless.  i can't think of others right now but there were plenty.  i loved the moment when tobias (i think) said something about how hollywood pays such close attention to detail, right when george michael opens up the completely emtpy cabinets.  man, what a perfect to tie everything together. 

MacGuffin

"Arrested" Can't Get Arrested

If that was indeed Arrested Development's swan song last week, then audiences paid the comedy their typical amount of respect: Not much.

Loved by critics, hailed by Emmy voters, but ignored by all but its cult of fans, the series mustered just 3.3 million viewers for what was billed as its two-hour season finale, but might well have been its series finale.

Fox is not expected to renew Arrested Development for a fourth season. Series creator Mitchell Hurwitz is weighing offers from ABC and Showtime, but is "hesitant" about continuing the show, E! Online TV columnist Kristin Veitch reported.

On one hand, Fox didn't do the Bluths any favors by sending off their series with four back-to-back episodes on a Friday--against the Winter Olympics opening ceremony on NBC. On the other hand, the Bluths haven't done well by Fox no matter where the network's aired the dysfunctional clan.

In its first season, Arrested Development averaged 6.2 million viewers--and it was all downhill from there, even as the accolades, including a 2004 Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, piled up.

"It was a great run, and it's great that the network didn't cancel us outright," star Jason Bateman told Veitch last November, when Fox ordered Arrested to wrap its third-season developments earlier than planned.

Friday's season-closer featured Bateman's real-life sister Justine Bateman as his character's presumed long-lost sister. The crowd didn't quite go wild. The "most watched" half-hour was at 9 p.m. It registered 3.5 million viewers and placed 105th for the TV week ended Sunday, per Nielsen Media Research. Even an episode of Malcolm in the Middle (101st place, 3.9 million), which Fox has already canceled, fared better.

Ratings or no, at least the Bluths will always have each other. Of course, maybe that's not such a good thing, either.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

fuck people.  man, everytime i click on this thread for mac's news i almost have a heart attack because one of these times its going to be confirmation of my worst fears.  i have a feeling mitch isnt going to bother with keeping it going but i really really hope i'm wrong.

Weird. Oh

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 14, 2006, 08:59:59 PM
"Arrested" Can't Get Arrested

If that was indeed Arrested Development's swan song last week, then audiences paid the comedy their typical amount of respect: Not much.

Loved by critics, hailed by Emmy voters, but ignored by all but its cult of fans, the series mustered just 3.3 million viewers for what was billed as its two-hour season finale, but might well have been its series finale.

Fox is not expected to renew Arrested Development for a fourth season. Series creator Mitchell Hurwitz is weighing offers from ABC and Showtime, but is "hesitant" about continuing the show, E! Online TV columnist Kristin Veitch reported.

On one hand, Fox didn't do the Bluths any favors by sending off their series with four back-to-back episodes on a Friday--against the Winter Olympics opening ceremony on NBC. On the other hand, the Bluths haven't done well by Fox no matter where the network's aired the dysfunctional clan.

In its first season, Arrested Development averaged 6.2 million viewers--and it was all downhill from there, even as the accolades, including a 2004 Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, piled up.

"It was a great run, and it's great that the network didn't cancel us outright," star Jason Bateman told Veitch last November, when Fox ordered Arrested to wrap its third-season developments earlier than planned.

Friday's season-closer featured Bateman's real-life sister Justine Bateman as his character's presumed long-lost sister. The crowd didn't quite go wild. The "most watched" half-hour was at 9 p.m. It registered 3.5 million viewers and placed 105th for the TV week ended Sunday, per Nielsen Media Research. Even an episode of Malcolm in the Middle (101st place, 3.9 million), which Fox has already canceled, fared better.

Ratings or no, at least the Bluths will always have each other. Of course, maybe that's not such a good thing, either.

this is total bullshit. I didn't even know it was on tv on friday, I had to download the episodes. FOX didn't bother advertising and moved the show to yet another night but expects people to watch? Fox has had some hits in the past but look what they've done with clearly beloved shows. a prime example would be Family Guy which they canceled but due to popularity on DVD brought back. I personally hate the show but it's popular as hell. When Arrested Development was first aired they definitely ran ads for it. I remember distinctly the ad where George is in prison talking to michael and he says "hit me one t-bone" or something like that. And that was the ad. But nothing since. I know that all my friends I've let borrow the dvd love them. They just weren't intrigued enough by the ads to watch the show but are hooked now. Fuck FOX.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Refined Sweet Crude  Weirdo on February 14, 2006, 10:02:40 PM
FOX didn't bother advertising and moved the show to yet another night but expects people to watch?

That's just it.  They DIDN'T expect people to watch.  I guess that was payback for putting David Cross' rant against Fox on the season 2 DVD.  But that article MacGuffin posted was bullshit because they fail to mention that A) NO ONE has watched Fox on a Friday night since X-Files (what the hell is even on there these days?), and B) the AD finale was on against the opening ceremonies for the Olympics!  And yet the vast majority of the fanbase still watched it.  But there were no ads for it.  In fact, if I didn't see that my DVR was set to record it, I might have forgotten the article that I read about it almost A MONTH AGO!!!

Quote from: Refined Sweet Crude  Weirdo on February 14, 2006, 10:02:40 PMFox has had some hits in the past but look what they've done with clearly beloved shows. a prime example would be Family Guy which they canceled but due to popularity on DVD brought back. I personally hate the show but it's popular as hell.

If AD was animated, it might stand a chance.

Quote from: Refined Sweet Crude  Weirdo on February 14, 2006, 10:02:40 PMFuck FOX.

FOX - Producing (and Cancelling) More Niche TV Than The Other Networks Combined