Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

BonBon85

How long do you think it will be before every person on this board has their own thread?

MacGuffin

Do you think this new avatar makes me look fat?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

sorry to answer for GT, but I think it makes you look pretty damn cool

Gold Trumpet

SoNowThen,
You got me there. I have no idea.

poser,
the name The Gold Trumpet comes from my all time favorite book, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I would say what it meant, but that would be giving away a lot of what that book stands for. I rather people discover the book instead by reading it.

3 favorite movies.........
I always say 2001 is the best I've seen, but I'd be lying if I say I can watch it like it is easy to watch. For right now, I think it stands as 8 1/2, Grave of the Fireflies, and Singin' In the Rain. I don't know, but for some reason I have a fascination for just directing musicals if I ever became a director and all three of those films deal with the main combinations I would want, as I see it now.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

BB,
Likely will never happen, but it seems like a great introduction to get to know someone.

Mac,
mysterious.......not fat.

~rougerum

Pozer

that's cool and you got 2 of my faves, 8 1/2 and, well 2001 is in your top three as far as I'm concerned

Gold Trumpet

haha, you might as well. I wish though more people would discover Grave of the Fireflies. I say that movie all the time in hopes to get it some general respect and a desire for people to go see it. I doubt I am succeeding, but who cares.

SoNowThen

Damn GT, I was counting on you.

Thin Red Line
&
The Good Thief.

But seriously, no one should've got that. I just saw Good Thief this weekend, and just began reading The Iliad last week, so I had a little advantage. It was a question for giggles. Oh well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Oh, and 8 1/2 fucking rocks!!!!!!!!! I love it.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

BonBon85

I've noticed a lot of film buffs I know cite Singin' in the Rain as their favorite film. I think that it's interesting that it's named not only the best musical but seems to transcend the limits of the genre and is hailed as being superior to films of genres that are more traditionally celebrated (like drama). Quick - write one of your mini essays explaining why. (please)

Dirk

Quote from: BonBon85I've noticed a lot of film buffs I know cite Singin' in the Rain as their favorite film. I think that it's interesting that it's named not only the best musical but seems to transcend the limits of the genre and is hailed as being superior to films of genres that are more traditionally celebrated (like drama). Quick - write one of your mini essays explaining why. (please)

She just wants you to do her homework, don't be fooled  :wink:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

BonBon85

Quote from: DirkShe just wants you to do her homework, don't be fooled  :wink:

haha, I wish I had homework like that - GT, feel free to take my calculus exam for me!

Dirk

Quote from: BonBon85haha, I wish I had homework like that - GT, feel free to take my calculus exam for me!

I want you to give me the antiderivative of f(x)= 4x^2 - cos(x^2) + x
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

MacGuffin

Quote from: DirkI want you to give me the antiderivative of f(x)= 4x^2 - cos(x^2) + x

Please hold that question until the Ask BonBon thread is started.

GT, why is Dirk's avatar so damn hypnotic?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

SoNowThen,
Haven't seen The Good Thief, so stood no chance there. Haven't seen The Thin Red Line in a while. But like I said in the first post to this thread, my answers will be dissapointing.

BB,
It's citatation for being hailed as one of the all time great films because no film as clearly represents a genre as Singin' In the Rain does for the musical. Citizen Kane even represents a small portion to the colossal world that drama is now. Singin' In the Rain though feels like it had everything seen in musicals for the time and unlike a lot of musicals during that time, it as charming and imaginative today as ever. I think it has trasncended its genre by so clearly being the example of everything that genre can be. Still, in its outside comedy structure, it plays out like any other comedy would back then. The moments are in the executation though and the reason for this being so great is simply because most people feel that the musicals have to be represented in the pantheon of the all time great film world of sorts by some film, and this is the only reasonable choice.

~rougerum