Started by cine, April 03, 2003, 06:20:03 PM

cine

I'm still wondering when these DVDs will be released

Gates of Heaven
La Dolce Vita
any films of Satyajit Ray
Silent Movie
Visconti's The Leopard

those are 5 films off the top of my head that I've personally been anticipating.

Anybody know anything about these? Or any DVDs that they're wondering about?

Ernie

I wish I could help you man. I'm surprised La Dolce Vita doesn't have one yet, wow. I've never seen it but I've heard a whole fuck of a lot about how great it is for awhile now...I would have bet money it had a dvd, that sucks.

Anyway, there is really only one film off the top of my head that I really really really want in my collection that has not been released on dvd...

SHORT CUTS!

I think it's probably Altman's best...fucking awesome movie. I have no idea why it hasn't been released yet. If criterion is ever bored...if they would just slap together a 15-20 dollar 1 disc of this movie, I would be happy with it.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ebeaman69I wish I could help you man. I'm surprised La Dolce Vita doesn't have one yet, wow. I've never seen it but I've heard a whole fuck of a lot about how great it is for awhile now...I would have bet money it had a dvd, that sucks.

Anyway, there is really only one film off the top of my head that I really really really want in my collection that has not been released on dvd...

SHORT CUTS!

I think it's probably Altman's best...fucking awesome movie. I have no idea why it hasn't been released yet. If criterion is ever bored...if they would just slap together a 15-20 dollar 1 disc of this movie, I would be happy with it.

Nice Edit  8)

Does Criterion still have the rights though?

bonanzataz

if they did they would've released it by now. but I have the laserdisc! HAHAHA!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

I've been waiting for Satyajit Ray's films to be on DVD since I got my DVD player.  The Apu Trilogy is out in the UK (Region 2) with some extras and Chess Players (Shatranj Ke Khiladi) is coming up.  The Music Room (Jalsaghar) is out in France, with a VHS quality transfer.  I might get one of those cheap Apex region-free players that can do PAL->NTSC conversion just for the Apu Trilogy.

Apu Trilogy Screenshots

I'm also waiting for Short Cuts, as well as the Robert Wise version of The Haunting.

Ravi

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ernie

Quote from: redlumhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3318815129&category=381

Short Cuts on laserdisc for £2, too bad I dont have a player.

Even if I did, I wouldn't get it. It's gotta get a dvd sooner or later...it was a big hit back in 93, wasn't it? Almost as big as the Player?

Where the hell is The Kid Stays In The Picture also, I forgot about that one...is it ever going to get a freaking dvd? It's way overdue.

I want God Is Great, I'm Not too. It's a so-so movie but Audrey Tautou is...

SoNowThen

I Vitelloni
Pickpocket
Diary of a Country Priest
Hardcore
New York, New York
After Hours
Blow Up
L'eclisse
Red Desert (was released, now o.o.p.)

and of course Short Cuts, but it's been said...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenI Vitelloni
Pickpocket
Diary of a Country Priest
Hardcore
New York, New York
After Hours
Blow Up
L'eclisse
Red Desert (was released, now o.o.p.)

and of course Short Cuts, but it's been said...

Oh yeah, forgot about After Hours. I've never seen it but I've always planned to as soon as it gets a dvd.

Raikus

After Hours has been sitting on my Netflix "DVD's waiting for release" list for a year and a half now. I fear its release will never come.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

Criterion may or may not have the rights to La Dolce Vita. All that was officially reported before was that they were in discussion with Artisan to release the film through dvd. Many people believe though that a La Dolce Vita release is still imminent at any time now.

SoNowThen, it has been reported By Criterion that a L'Eclisse may get released sometime in the future. Diary of a Country Priest, actually should come out any time. They released another Besson film this year, but when talking about which Besson to release first, Diary of a Country Priest and the one already released were talked about as being the first to be released by them on the director. They may be putting off that release though for a little bit before announcing it. But I know it is in the works and should be coming soon. I Vitelloni also seems like distinct possibility as Criterion, but no word on it or others.

~rougerum

Stringstroker

I know this isn't very artsy of me, but I am looking for the PCU DVD.  That movie rocks!
"This is funny.  This is nice."
-Barry Egan

bonanzataz

Mac's av reminded me. Is Ed Wood coming out with a DVD soon?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazMac's av reminded me. Is Ed Wood coming out with a DVD soon?

It was supposed to, but... From the Digital Bits:

We're hearing from a number of good sources who tell us that Buena Vista's recently announced Ed Wood DVD caught the notice of none other than the film's director, Tim Burton. The good news is that Burton's decided that he would like to add more content to what was already announced. The bad news is that, because of this, the disc will probably be delayed until early 2003 [looking more like late 2003]. But let's focus on that good news, shall we? Now maybe Ed Wood's gonna be the kind of disc it should have been in the first place! We're willing to be it will be worth the wait.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks