Rate Lynch's Films

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 15, 2003, 09:50:10 PM

j_scott_stroup04

Now, bare with me, for I have not seen Lost Highway, nor have I seen Eraserhead or Dune (I hear that's not much of a loss, though)

Using the standard four star scale

Here I go:

Elephant Man- ***1/2

Blue Velvet- ****

Wild At Heart- ***1/2

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me- **1/2

Straight Story- ***

Mulholland Dr.- ****
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

ono

The ones I've seen:

Dune - 0 - So bad that I've almost wiped out the memory of ever having seen it.
Blue Velvet - *
Lost Highway - **
Mulholland Dr. - **

Let the flaming begin.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThe ones I've seen:

Dune - 0 - So bad that I've almost wiped out the memory of ever having seen it.
Blue Velvet - *
Lost Highway - **
Mulholland Dr. - **

Let the flaming begin.

And I was almost thinking your Spielberg hate was dignified.

ono

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAnd I was almost thinking your Spielberg hate was dignified.
That's probably because you agree with me a bit on that.  Seriously, though, I admire what Lynch tries to do, but he fails at it so much because he can't seem to tell a cogent, coherent story.  That's what it boils down to.  I'm all for surrealism.  A big fan, really.  But it has to serve some sort of purpose.  Mulholland Dr. is his most accomplished work, as I've said before, but it falls apart when he can't seem to reel the story in.  It simply spins out of control.

Ghostboy

Dune is actually a whole lot better than everyone thinks it is.

ono

Quote from: GhostboyDune is actually a whole lot better than everyone thinks it is.
Care to expound?  The film almost put me to sleep, and its dialogue was just bad.  But, at least the special effects were decent.  (And I can't believe I'm actually giving a film credit for its special effects.)

rustinglass

What's the problem with Dune? It's one of my favourite science fiction films.
The special effects are great, the story is great too, great characters, good acting... a very nice film. I like it more than star wars

eraserhead ***
elephant man ****
dune***
blue velvet***
wild at heart***
fwwm**1/2
lost highway***1/2
the straight story***
mulholland drive****
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI admire what Lynch tries to do, but he fails at it so much because he can't seem to tell a cogent, coherent story.

That's a contradiction.

ono

No it's not.  I admire his failed attempts.  There's nothing contradictory about that.

Pubrick

then ur admiration is worthless.
under the paving stones.

ono

Not really, because I can see the potential there for something great.  But whereas Ebert finally drooled all over Lynch's last two efforts while panning the rest of them (save Elephant Man, IIRC, and rightfully so), I believe he's not quite there yet, and should stick to painting if he's not going to commit to telling a story.  A tapestry, no matter how tightly woven, will unravel if not tied at the ends.

Pubrick

i hav no trouble understanding his stories.

and twin peaks is a masterpiece of modern television.

u should watch the straight story.
under the paving stones.

ono

I don't have any trouble understanding his stories either.  His stories are purposefully ambiguous, and I get that.  But at the same time, I'd just like to see a little more effort put into it, instead of leaving so MUCH to ambiguity, and the viewer's interpretation.

And yeah, I want to see Straight Story, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, and Wild at Heart, and all of his stuff, really.  Though Dune really left a bad taste in my mouth.  It's just a matter of finding them.

NEON MERCURY

of the ones i have seen......

(out of four)

fire walk w/ me..****
elephant man..****
dune..**1/2
wild at heart..****
mulholland drive..****
lost highway..****
blue velvet...****
the straight story......****

....have n't seen eraserhead still.(which i feel embarrased about) ...but i know it would deserve ..**** .

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI don't have any trouble understanding his stories either.  His stories are purposefully ambiguous, and I get that.  But at the same time, I'd just like to see a little more effort put into it, instead of leaving so MUCH to ambiguity, and the viewer's interpretation.
Again, that seems like a contradiction.  You say you 'get it,' then what's the problem?  Would you like it all spelled out for you in Spielberg-ian fashion :wink: ?

There's room for interpretation, sure, but I don't doubt that Lynch has solid intentions, or 'the answers.'  It's not like he makes films like Brakhage or something.  I'll take a cock-tease over a spoon-feeding any day.
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd yeah, I want to see Straight Story, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, and Wild at Heart, and all of his stuff, really.  Though Dune really left a bad taste in my mouth.  It's just a matter of finding them.
Lynch is my favorite director and I loathe Dune, but get over that.  That's one fuck-up, and he's never done anything like it since.  I barely appreciate bits of the movie, but I also am glad he did it: it's the reason Blue Velvet got made.  But that's 'crap' too, so nevermind.