is Xixax for teenagers

Started by Pas, January 17, 2009, 08:30:47 PM

Pas

as the classic members are going away one by one, one can't help to wonder if there's an age limit to Xixax ? I came here 7 years ago if I recall correctly (I wasn't Pas back then) and I remember how I felt enlightened by the place. How it seemed larger than life, filled with the inteligentsia of the internets.

Nowadays I come here feeling an equal, just to read valuable reviews of movies that just came out. No longer do I try to prove myself like I used to. I don't know it's just strange nowadays, it feels like the place is holding to it's life.

Anyways I don't know the point of my post, my facebook and msn is under and I invite you all to add me on either place as I respect all of you. I have made real friends here (SoNowThen and P mostly) and I hope to make more (I'm thinking Stefen and shit a whole lot of you) so don't hesitate!!!

Stefen

Fo sho. I just added you to MSN.

This was my favorite message board of all time. And I've been a part of many. Lately, I think it's suffered from lack of new blood because alot of the posters who made this place have since moved on, and what's left is a small collection of oldies, while nobody new is replacing the ones that left.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

How would anyone new come across this messageboard?

I can't really remember how I found it, but I want to say via cigarettesandredvines (or whatever it was called 5 or so years ago) probably searching for PT info.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

hedwig

i don't think it's for teenagers and i don't think it's dead.

i think it's whatever WE are. it's whatever we want it to be. the board is not some separate entity with a process of growth and evolution separate from ours. it's us. we set the tone, we establish the discourse, we control the universe. we are xixax. like everyone else, i'm terribly sad that pubrick and cron and polkablues and hacksparrow are gone. but who knows? maybe they'll come back someday. in the meantime, a different, ever-changing dynamic remains, one influenced by those members' absence negatively and positively, but it's still ours and theirs and i still love it. nothing can erase the collective memory of each individual's impact on the site, for better or worse.

i don't want to speak for those who have ditched the site, but i'm sure many of us have considered doing the same. i know i have. hell, cyberspace is a confusing and strange thing the more you contemplate the way it permeates your being. the idea that i am writing these words on a computer, periodically switching between xixax and facebook -- another bizarre online visual interactive representation of my self -- and whoever clicks a button that doesn't even physically exist except on a screen is suddenly reading this transcription of my ideas-- it is fucking amazing. beautiful. almost a bit scary. sometimes i get severe techno-angst and consider removing myself entirely from cyberspace, deleting every page on every social networking site and never posting on another message board again. i get that shit a lot but it's counterbalanced by  my awareness/appreciation of the benefits of being alive in the digital era.

things move in cycles. people have been lamenting the demise of xixax since its early days when douchebags ruled the earth and then got banned. we grow and so does the board.

we've got a great thing going here, my friends. even if shit slows down for a while, we've got enough of an expansive (unsearchable?) archive of great essays, hilarious running gags, classic characters, and brilliant insights to attract the right type of crowd to influence the evolution of this great, beautiful thing we call Xixax. hallelujah.

SiliasRuby

I'm a deist but I'm going to say amen to that. There's a certain evolution to every site that populates the web. People change, get smarter, possibly get dumber, and people leave...all in time. Personally I've bee able to spread my wings and really make a decent contribution since P left, although some some would argue with that  point.

I've been watching a lot of dvds and films I haven't seen in a long time and have decided to post more reviews more often including movies I've owned for a long time that I haven't seen yet, much like Quint's resigned column at aintitcool.com, the second reason I visit that site, the first being Harry's DVD release column. But I'm getting off topic here.

The main reason why I keep coming back to this specific site is because I love the people. Awww...hey shut the fuck up. I'm also a cynical sentimentalist when it comes to believing in people, but thats neither here nor there. Believing the worst in human beings and every once in a while becoming pleasantly surprised. The people here have become a staple to this website and while its sad to see some of them go, such is life.

Hope that made sense. I'm almost sure it did.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

Most boards go through cycles, but most boards are also linked from some type of fansite, etc.

For instance, a band, will go through cycles with each album, etc.

That's why I was wondering - how does one even find this board?

It's not attached to any site or linked from anywhere else, is it?

I want to say it was linked or at least mention at the old PT fansite, but I have no idea if it is now.

Of course, I imagine some people will reemerge with the first solid news on PT's next project.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

I don't even think cigs and red vines has a link to xixax.

I don't remember how I found this place. I'm pretty sure it was from Greg Mariotti's Cigs and Coffee site. I frequented the old PTA board. I can't remember if it was part of Greg Mariotti's site, or if it was it's own entity. I never posted there. I remember, I think Film Student. Maybe GT.

Now, there is no way for anyone to find this place. It's almost like it doesn't exist. I don't think it has open registration either.

We should all bring some friends over. Liven this place up.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

I think I found this site doing a search on google : ''strategies to steal dvds''  :shock:

there was an actual thread about it too

Gamblour.

Where else am I going to talk about movies? This place challenges me to actually think a little bit after I see a film (see the Revolutionary Road thread. I loved that movie, and I felt challenged to defend it, which you rarely get to do, especially if people you know haven't seen it).

I'm glad there's no drama on here. If we're in some sort of existential crisis, I agree that it's reflecting whatever growth we're experiencing as people and film-goers. This place is kind of like an old car, or some other bullshit analogy. There's a quality here you can't find elsewhere, and it's getting rarer and rarer (and harder to find, apparently). There's a quality of conversation here that I have obviously enjoyed enough to stick around for a really long time, since I began college. Now I'm out, have been working for almost two years, married. There's a fucking hell out of a lot of growth going on, whether I realize it or understand it. I just haven't grown out of cursing a lot.

This place is just fine. It's a post-TWBB year. I've come and gone at times, but I keep coming back.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

Xixax rules. Everyone's opinion is valuable. I think we're all over the scared to post our opinions phase. If we like something but someone else hates it, so what? We've been posting here for so long that that's bound to happen.

I'm pretty sure everyone here respects eachother's opinions regardless of how often it differs from your own.

I wish P would come back. Someone needs to coax him out of semi-retirement.

w/o horse

I found Xixax because it had a link to the original Bottle Rocket, and this was pre-YouTube, or at least pre-meusingYouTube.

Since I started using the Internet I've posted on boards pertaining to what my interests were.  First it was a videogame website, then a music website, and now only Xixax.  And so when I think about leaving Xixax, which like Hedwig says I have and he has and others surely have, I think about dropping off of Internet communities entirely (I don't even have a MySpace of Facebook, etc), because this is my only link.

But then, for example, how would I have purchased the Twin Peaks shoes today?  Or know the new M. Ward had leaked?  Not to mention the rare times I actually get to talk about movies here.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages right now.  It's probably pretty arbitrary that this is the place I go, but this is the place I go.

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Jefferson

Quote from: w/o horse on January 20, 2009, 04:02:04 PM

Or know the new M. Ward had leaked?

of course it does the first week i don't look for it. good to know though, thanks.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I came looking for PDL DVD release dates.

I stayed because at the time I didn't know any movie elitists in person, so I learnt about foreign films here.  Now I know a lot of movie buffs and have lost a lot of passion for discussing theory.  I still love movies. Plus, now I can keep it at a reasonable distance and make sure it's diluted with unrelated Idle Chatter. 

I love this place.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

OrHowILearnedTo

As a teenager, and as a member who doesn't post frequently perhaps i can shed some insight.

Yes I believe Xixax is for everybody, but there is a level of maturity required (of which i dont think ive quite attained) to be a regular insightful poster. That's probably due to the average age of the usual xixaxers, and as the board grows older, that level of maturity or whatever, will change. Im sure when most of you started posting people weren't the same as they are know (obviously), but because xixax is such an intimate board you've all gotten to know each other well and haven't realized this change in maturity/attitude. I guess what im trying to say is back during the board's early days it was really easy to make a thread called "does anyone think fight club is a little pretentious?" But this is why xixax is such a special place. It has a certain quality that no other message board that ive ever visited has. The sense of humour, the tastes on movies/music/tv, everybody here jives really well here. This is probably why there's not alot of new posters, people just dont get the xixax dynamic. They get intimidated and leave. Or they start posting, get ripped by you guys, get pissed off and leave. Remember posters like Maya Kash? that shit might fly on imdb but not here. That right there is a reason why i dont post as often as i like to. I've been visiting this site everyday (well, pretty much) for the past two years. I feel as though i know alot of you, and you guys know nothing about me and it would be weird if i just started posting here, making jokes, referencing other posters and shit, and you guys would be like "who the fuck is this guy?" But then again i guess its equally weird (or more so) that ive been creeping here for two years (so i guess i better start posting here more often eh?). But enough about my psychological bullshit...

Xixax is great. This is where i get my information on pretty much everything. I've discovered movies, music, awesome cell phone smashing stories. Xixax has been so influential in developing my tastes, the way i think, everything. I owe you guys so much. I should really start giving back. I'll try.

In conclusion,

Quote from: Walrus on January 21, 2009, 01:53:31 AM
I love this place.

SiliasRuby

its always been for everyone but if you can balance your immaturity with your maturity when it comes to writing about film people will respect you more around here.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection