A Bittersweet Life

Started by pete, October 30, 2005, 03:38:17 PM

pete

korean trailer here

I saw it this week, it came out in Korea earlier this year, by the guy who did A Tale of Two Sisters.  It's about a thug who fell out of his boss's favor and suddenly everyone turned against him.  A simple enough story but it was put into this broodin, noirish, exitentialist context, kinda like Taxi Driver with much more fighting and action.  It's shot and acted really well, the movie meanders a bit during the middle, but in the end its existentialist motif with an Asian flavor comes back in again and elevates a brooding revenge filck just a tad, enough to make it moving.  Check it out if you've got money/ edonkey/ time to kill on ebay.  I highly recommend it.  Good storytelling coupled with really innovative action sequences.  Those things are getting a little rarer these days.

a review from variety.com
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Weak2ndAct

I swear I wrote something about this flick on here... oh well, can't find it.  Anyway, yeah, I blind bought this a month back, absolutely loved it.  It's the oldest story ever (guy has to watch the gangster's girl, disaster ensues), but damn, it is compelling.  So well put together.  The warehouse fight is worth the price of admission.

The Perineum Falcon

love the trailer, must get that poster
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

with pete's praise and the little i had heard about it, i decided to seek this out and i'm glad i did.  as mentioned the story is familiar but the ride is worth it.  though it is pretty different i still think fans of Oldboy or Kill Bill will want to see this.  i'd like to check out the directors previous film, A Tale Of Two Sisters now.  pete, is it worth it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.