24 hour party people

Started by Jack Sparrow, August 10, 2003, 10:13:50 AM

Jack Sparrow

anyone seen it? the story is about a tony wilson who formed the factory records. he signed bands like a certain ratio and happy mondays. it's really funny movie, typical british humor. budgie? redlum? beady? seen it? there's a lot of good music in it, and it tells the story of joy division and more. a must for music fans.

Cecil

i saw it, thought it was good.

Ghostboy

I loved this movie, but I wish they had spent more time with Joy Division (one of my favorite bands) and less with the Happy Mondays (did anyone ever really like them?).  Steve Coogan made a wonderful Tony Wilson. Michael Winterbottom is a really underrated director.

modage

i hated hated hated this movie. it was one of the worst things i've rented all year.  i didnt like the look. i didnt like the actors (or the characters), and i didnt like the way the story was told at all.  like a dv snotty version of saved by the bell, but about the manchester scene. it just seemed like human traffic or any of those cute uk post-trainspotting movies about witty brits and their friends. the story would have been interesting as a documentary with some video footage and stills or something, but as a movie it didnt work.  i think people who enjoy this have to be really into/interested in the music scene, because if you're not, you'll wind totally bored.

i hated wonderland too, so i guess i dont like michael winterbottom.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

penfold0101

I really wanted to see this and never got round to it.
Modernage after your wonderful comments i think i'll go rent it!!
everything i've read about it says i'll like it. i'll keep an eye out.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Pwaybloe

I really liked this one, too.  

Ha ha, does anyone else remember the argument about the overpriced, oversized table in the studio office?  Funny stuff.

jokerspath

Holy shit Pawbloe, what's the av?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Mesh

Quote from: GhostboyI loved this movie, but I wish they had spent more time with Joy Division (one of my favorite bands) and less with the Happy Mondays (did anyone ever really like them?).  Steve Coogan made a wonderful Tony Wilson.

Agree and agree.  The Happy Mondays are far more important than they are listenable or interesting, if you're asking me.  Joy Division were the real artists of the early Factory scene, the ones who mattered most and continue to matter to this day.  Haunting performance by the guy who was Ian Curtis.  And, yes, Coogan played a well-written character beautifully:  I love all that stuff spoken aside with a wink-wink to the audience.  Tony was the insider of all insiders for 10+ years; when he speaks right to you, he makes you feel like an insider, too.  As though seeing members of Joy Division and the Buzzcocks and Martin Hannett prancing around at The Sex Pistols first Manchester show makes you some sort of cultural mover....

Good film.  I bought a copy of the DVD screener at a garage sale for $1, oddly enough.  The counter on the top right corner is a pain, but, for a buck?  I'll take it.

BTW, Ghostboy: this thread and the one you posted about Cannibal Holocaust have secured you a rock-solid spot in the Mesh's Xixax All-Star Line-up, alongside godardian, RegularKarate, and cecil b.  Congrats.  You made it!

MacGuffin

Just watched this. Great film. God, it brought back so many memories, and taught me a lot of the behind the scenes stories about the music I grew up listening to. You could see Steve Coogian's relish in playing the character/person of Tony Wilson. Amazing performance. Perfect balance of slyness and humor that made you want to spend even more time with the guy even afterwards. I loved him breaking down the fourth wall with the audience and being our personal tour guide through this era. Winterbottom's direction was spot on too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

I caught this on Sundance Friday night. Loved Loved Loved it.

I need to see if I can order the soundtrack. I'd echo Ghostboy's thoughts from a few months back. Winterbottom is underrated. I'm adding this to my Christmas Want List now!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Alethia

coming from netflix on tuesday, fuckin excited as hell now

mogwai

CURTIS FILM MOVES CLOSER

A film based on JOY DIVISION's IAN CURTIS is in the works.

According to US reports, the film will see lifelong fan Moby involved in the project, which will document the life of the Macclesfield-born singer, who committed suicide in 1980.

The other members of the band, who went on to form New Order, are thought to have given their blessing to the project.

Mesh

Quote from: mogwaiCURTIS FILM MOVES CLOSER

A film based on JOY DIVISION's IAN CURTIS is in the works.

According to US reports, the film will see lifelong fan Moby involved in the project, which will document the life of the Macclesfield-born singer, who committed suicide in 1980.

The other members of the band, who went on to form New Order, are thought to have given their blessing to the project.

If Moby's involved in it, fine.  If Moby stars in it, as anyone, not so fine.

SoNowThen

I like the Happy Mondays  :(
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThenI like the Happy Mondays  :(
and black grape was groundbreaking. :wink: