The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

P Heat

Quote from: Pubrick on June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PM
We see PDL again in the red headed female (there'll be heaps of them here),
This has become the main reason I need to watch this.

Quote from: Pubrick on June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PMPTA is reaching FMJ levels with this one.

Full Metal Jacket right?   :saywhat: :yabbse-undecided:
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pubrick

Quote from: P Heat on June 20, 2012, 01:03:55 AM
Quote from: Pubrick on June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PM
We see PDL again in the red headed female (there'll be heaps of them here),
This has become the main reason I need to watch this.

Are you twelve years old or just trolling?

Jesus, this is why it's so hard to get any interesting movie discussion going here.

EDIT: I feel I should edit this cos maybe I'm being a bit harsh on little heat. Maybe you are in your teens and/or really lonely, horny, and not that into PTA at all.. so something stupid like a bunch of redheads is truly the main top biggest reason you are excited about seeing the latest film by the world's greatest living director. I can understand that, it's stupid, but i can understand it.

So in answer to your question, because maybe you've never discussed Kubrick online before, or even heard of the him outside of "that guy who made an awesome film with lots of tits in the 70s and a boring one with an orgy in the 90s", yes FMJ is Full Metal Jacket. Other official abbreviations you should remember are:

Eyes Wide Shut = EWS
THE SHiNiNG = the shin
Barry Lyndon = Barryndon
A Clockwork Orange = clork
2001: A space Odyssey = 2OO1 
Dr Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb = Dr Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Lolita = lols
Spartacus = who gives a shit
And the rest = the rest
under the paving stones.

modage

'The Master' Actor Barlow Jacobs Says The Film Is "Epic"
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2012/06/master-actor-barlow-jacobs-says-film-is.html

Fun Fact: This dude starred in Ghostboy's film "St. Nick."
Fun Fact #2: This dude was in two earlier films by two directors I interviewed this week for The Playlist.
Fun Fact #3: 105 days.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brando

As Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise's divorce continue there will be more stories or gossip about Scientology being the reason behind it all.  There are already stories about Katie worried about Tom sending their daughter to some Scientology camp and Katie Holmes is being followed by Scientlogist. Whether The Master is or isn't about Scientology it has already been labeled the movie about Scientology. I have feeling whatever controversy or public interest in the film when it opens is going to be amplified now and be mentioned on E! along side Tom and Katie's divorce.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

You know, I think the whole "omg it's not about Scientology" thing is overblown. I don't think PTA is going to have that attitude with the film, either. I mean really, he's basically inviting those comparisons with this movie, and he understands that. Let's not worry that the whole thing is going to be massively misinterpreted. I'm sure it will be fine.

A better mantra for us might be: "it's about more than Scientology."

The Ultimate Badass

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 02, 2012, 12:31:39 PM
A better mantra for us might be: "it's about more than Scientology."

Yeah. Mormonism!

MacGuffin

Tom Cruise, other Scientology members dislike portrayal of a cult leader in new film 'The Master'
Source: NY Daily News

Tom Cruise's fellow Scientology members would like to master "The Master."

A source familiar with Paul Thomas Anderson 's film about the founder of a Scientology-like religious movement tells us officials of the controversial church group "hit the roof" when they learned — presumably through Cruise — that the movie contains a scene which suggests the belief system was little more than a product of the leader's fertile imagination.

In May, Anderson, who is friends with Cruise and directed him in "Magnolia," the 1999 film that earned Cruise a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination — reportedly screened his film for the "Rock of Ages" star.

"The Master" is said to be loosely based on the life of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, and stars Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lancaster Dodd, the founder of a 1950s religious movement called The Cause.

Hubbard, a onetime writer of pulp and science fiction , founded the Church of Scientology in the '50s.

Both the Wrap.com and Huffington Post reported other similarities between the fictional Dodd and the late Hubbard.

According to Wrap.com, Dodd, like Hubbard, creates his cultlike movement while on a boat trip.

HuffPo also noted that both Dodd and Hubbard "had wives named Mary Sue," and said this "has caused some to wonder if the film will raise the hackles of the notoriously secretive group."

After Cruise saw "The Master," Wrap.com reported the actor "had issues" with parts of the highly anticipated movie .

According to our insider, one scene that didn't sit well with Cruise takes place on a patio where Joaquin Phoenix , who plays Freddie Sutton, a troubled drifter who becomes Dodd's right-hand disciple, watches Dodd pontificate about the religion he has created.

During the scene, the source says, another character close to the founder turns to Phoenix and says of Dodd, "You know he's making it up as he goes along."

Referring to the actual Church of Scientology, our source says, "Tom Cruise's people are grumbling about this line — amongst others — but Anderson is not taking it out."

Cruise's spokeswoman declined to comment on this story. Scientology spokeswoman Karin Pouw responded: "No one in the church has seen the film, and we have no comment. "

Although the Weinstein Co. will not release "The Master" until Oct. 12, Anderson's movie has become a hot topic since Katie Holmes filed for divorce from Cruise on June 29.

The Weinstein Company declined to comment and Anderson did not respond by deadline.

The "Dawson's Creek" actress is seeking sole custody of their daughter, Suri Cruise , amid rumors that Holmes feared the influence Scientology was having on the 6-year-old girl.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Harvey Weinstein was on this week's podcast of The Treatment with Elvis Mitchell and he talks a bit about PTA. I'm too lazy to transcribe it but he basically says he's been wanting to work with Paul for a while and this movie was a perfect marriage. He spoke of protests being inevitable and the film needing a strong studio not afraid of controversy and willing to go to bat for it, which is of course Weinstein's M.O.

He was surprisingly funny and somewhat of a film historian which surprised me.

modage

"You know, I've always wanted to work with Paul Thomas Anderson but I don't think there's any accident why we got together on this. You know, Megan Ellison is a brilliant producer but I think the themes of this movie and the subject matter, you need somebody who is going to step in front of this and be fearless about it. "

More.

Thanks for the headsup!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

from cigs&redvines

'The Master' Is Finished; Has Been Rated R

Probably fairly obvious to anyone who has seen Paul's previous films but "The Master" has also been rated R. The naughty bits are for "sexual content, graphic nudity and language" according to Box Office Mojo (via @angel_glands). This also means that the film has been completed and is (in theory) ready to be screened...

RegularKarate

I have an inside source that told me that a couple weeks ago Paul was in Austin testing the sound for the Master in a theater at the Alamo Drafthouse. He had some guys with a soundboard set up testing levels etc...

A) I'm kicking myself for finding out too late to stalk him and force him into handshakes and pictures.
B) This particular location is where Fantastic Fest happens in September. There's a good chance this gets shown there.
C) So pissed that I don't have VIP badge for Fantastic Fest this year.

matt35mm

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

:crazyeyes:

Do you think there's a possibility that there will be some sort of secret or surprise screening of this before Fantastic Fest? That's still a little ways away. This is very exciting news, though.

Robyn

'The Master' Poster: Paul Thomas Anderson's Newest Movie Gets First Look (EXCLUSIVE)
The Huffington Post

"The Master" poster is here, and it's a glass-half-full affair. Paul Thomas Anderson's newest film -- and his first since the Best Picture-nominated "There Will Be Blood" in 2007 -- arrives in theaters in October, but it's already shrouded in secrecy and controversy.

What you may already know: Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Lancaster Dodd, a man who forms his own religious movement during the 1950s. Amy Adams plays Dodd's wife, while Joaquin Phoenix stars as his young-but-troubled protege. If that bare bones description sounds familiar, it's because "The Master" is rumored to be a thinly veiled look at the life of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard (for instance, both Hubbard and the fictional Dodd were married to women named Mary Sue). However, even that connection is up for debate.

"I don't know what you've heard and what script you've read," Philip Seymour Hoffman told Hollywood Elsewhere blogger Jeffrey Wells last year, "[but] trust me, it's not about Scientology."

A feature in the New York Times back in April furthered the connection, however, and there were reports that Anderson wanted to screen the film for Tom Cruise, Scientology's highest profile member. (The two worked together on "Magnolia," which earned Cruise a well-deserved Oscar nomination.)

So far, little has been seen of "The Master" beyond two fascinating teaser trailers -- one which focused on Phoenix's Navy veteran and the other on Hoffman's Dodd. The newest poster, which HuffPost Entertainment is happy to debut in conjunction with Moviefone, offers little more, beyond the striking image of a glass (or bottle) half full.

Check the poster out below. "The Master," which has to rank as one of the most highly anticipated films of the year for most cinephiles, is out in theaters on Oct. 12.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/the-master-poster-paul-thomas-anderson_n_1684776.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Champion Souza

Pozer

.......ℒℴѵℯ............ℒℴѵℯ
...ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ....ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ
ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ
.ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ
..ℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯ
......ℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯ
........ℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯ
............ℒℴѵℯℒℴѵℯ
...............ℒℴѵℯ