There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

theyarelegion

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 13, 2007, 10:38:10 AM
Quote from: Omero on November 13, 2007, 05:30:50 AMFuck. I'm depressd. Pissed. Rang to RSVP when I got the number first and the voicemail inbox was full. Called back again and was told by a recorded message that it's booked out but all people that RSVP'd can be guaranteed a seat. Fuck! Anyone who RSVP'd for them and a guest and got nobody to bring, please PM me! :yabbse-grin: I'll buy you dinner, hah. Seriously.  :yabbse-smiley:

Today's your lucky day. You've just become my date. I added a guest just in case a reason like this came up. You're taking me to Spago's.

THANK YOU! So much. You're a hero. Spago's it is! Check you PM. ;)

idk

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 13, 2007, 05:37:35 PM
"We'll also be the only theater in the country featuring a new 35mm trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Unlike the other trailer, this one was cut by the director himself and is only available at Alamo Drafthouse at the Ritz. "

Old Men with a little taste of blood... I will be there

I guessing the "other trailer" they are referring to is the one that was shown before "3:10 to Yuma" and "Brave One", should we really believe that pta didn't create that one? I mean is it normal for people other than the director to make the trailers?

Pubrick

Quote from: idk on November 13, 2007, 07:31:02 PM
I mean is it normal for people other than the director to make the trailers?

i would say so. it's the job of the marketing department. that's why all indie films look the same, and why all movies are misrepresented in their trailer. it's a rare exception that a director would cut their own promo. i havn't done an in-depth study, but i would imagine the difference is similar to that between a teaser and a full length trailer. one gives you a sense of what the movie is about, and the other tells you everything that happens.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pubrick on November 13, 2007, 07:54:29 PM
Quote from: idk on November 13, 2007, 07:31:02 PM
I mean is it normal for people other than the director to make the trailers?

i would say so. it's the job of the marketing department. that's why all indie films look the same, and why all movies are misrepresented in their trailer. it's a rare exception that a director would cut their own promo. i havn't done an in-depth study, but i would imagine the difference is similar to that between a teaser and a full length trailer. one gives you a sense of what the movie is about, and the other tells you everything that happens.

i was having a discussion about this - once i see a joke in a trailer i can never laugh at it within the actual movie.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Source: Jeffery Wells; Hollywood-Elsewhere

**SPOILER ALERT**

Here are three Daniel Day Lewis clips from last night's WGA discussion following a screening of There Will Be Blood. Newsweek's David Ansen moderated; costar Paul Dano and director-writer Paul Thomas Anderson also participated.

I love the gentle British inflections in Lewis's natural speaking voice. When was the last time he used them in a film? Not recently. And not The Age of Innocence, not The Crucible, not In The Name of the Father. Was it A Room With a View? The Boxer?

I was struck by how tall and gangly Lewis is when he first walked into the WGA theatre lobby while the film was still running. I've never sensed his being this Abraham Lincoln-ish -- rain-thin and about 6' 3" -- from his appearances on film. There's also the matter of his big head. Almost all big stars have them. I thought of this as Lewis sat next to Ansen during the q & a. Lewis's face is a good 35% to 40% larger than Ansen's, and that's a conservative estimate.

In clip #1, Lewis explains the attitude of his Blood character, Daniel Plainview, toward Paul Dano's Eli, an evangelical huckster, to a woman in the audience.

In clip #2, he's explaining to another female questioner how Plainview comes to suspect that Kevin J. O'Connor's Henry character may not be his actual brother, as has been claimed. It's not a very smart question, but Lewis has fun with her and shows good humor. (At one point he says, "I'm so confused!") As I said to Ansen later, sometimes the dumber questions get the better answers.

And in clip #3 -- the best -- Lewis responds to one of the question that young actors refuse to stop asking in situations like this, which is "what advice would you have for an actor just starting out today?" And yet Lewis's response, which doesn't offer advice, is quite good. Gets a round of applause.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Source: Jeffery Wells; Hollywood-Elsewhere

**SPOILER ALERT**

I sat down earlier this evening with There Will be Blood costar Paul Dano. We know the same people and have talked at a couple of parties, but this was the first interview. Dano plays a dual role -- twins, actually -- in There Will Be Blood. "Paul" is a bright, mature, realistic fellow; "Eli" is an opportunistic evangelical creep. Dano delivers on the intensity and then some. He and Daniel Day Lewis have a helluva final scene together.

Here are two mp3 files of our talk. The first is longer than the second.

For my money Dano had a slyer, deeper, more interesting thing going on in Little Miss Sunshine than did his Oscar-winning costar Alan Arkin. Dano and Steve Carell obviously share the film's richest and most intimate scene.

Our common denominator is having both lived in Wilton, Connecticut, for a few years. Dano, 23, graduated from Wilton High School in '02. He's currently living in Manhattan's East Village and starring onstage in Jonathan Marc Sherman's Things We Want, directed by Ethan Hawke and costarring Peter Dinklage, Josh Hamilton and Zoe Kazan.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i'm pretty sure by swiping a bit of that white i just read the biggest spoiler of all time.  why did i do that?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on November 14, 2007, 11:59:26 AM
i'm pretty sure by swiping a bit of that white i just read the biggest spoiler of all time.  why did i do that?

How do you think I felt when I read it without knowing? I didn't even have the option to swipe or not.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 14, 2007, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: modage on November 14, 2007, 11:59:26 AM

How do you think I felt when I read it without knowing? I didn't even have the option to swipe or not.

Oh man, why do both of you keep reading this things? Specially you Mac, you're one day away from seeing it, nobody will think less of you if you don't post articles for a couple of days, besides, P reads everything and keeps taking one for the team.

hedwig

Quote from: Fernando on November 14, 2007, 02:20:22 PM
Specially you Mac, you're one day away from seeing it, nobody will think less of you if you don't post articles for a couple of days

speak for yourself. :elitist:

pete

that was a big spoiler for The Prestige, but for this film, it doesn't really matter.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

yesterday i saw (or thought i saw) that sal posted a review in this thread. soi read it, only to realize that i was in the wrong thread.  i don't know if what i read is a total spoiler or not, but its definitely not something i had been reading in these spoiler-ful articles.  anybody who has already seen it wanna help me out? 

Pozer