City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

Gold Trumpet

I've thought about this some more and still think the idea of City of God fallling in quality over a period of time still seems unlikely. Though the film hit me so suddenly right away doesn't mean the film doesnt have more to offer. I think just examining the editing, it has an entire world to offer. I do think there is room for something else to happen and that is another film may surpass it in my eyes over time. I was able to watch Spirited Away again just yesterday and watching it with new people who saw it on a different side then I did just made the movie only that more special. I think Spirited Away has a chance in surpassing City of God because even now, I consider it right below City of God anyways. I still have the hardest time trying to even explain spirited away to anyone. Really a remarkable movie and one of the best of all time and personal favorite for me.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: DanTMcGovernso far City of God is the best film this year and should be up for Best Picture.

The only question is... should it be eligible for the Xixax awards?

atticus jones

i would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to those of you who engage in serious, meaningful film discussion and debate...i recognize there are many distractions here and often ill tempered citizens who would try to steer threads in an unproductive, antagonistic direction...but it is you few who...i like that...you few who...that remind me of why we are all here...your insights continually enlighten me as to how i can more appreciate cinema...i am educated by you and have been introduced to a world of information that i never knew existed...the spirited, honest discussion you engage in should be an example to all of us as to how movie lovers everywhere can grow together in peace and understanding...i look forward to not only the wealth of knowledge and understanding each of you demonstrate but also to the brilliant films you may one day make...or have made...who knew...i dream of a day when we will sit together in a darkened theater and enjoy a film together...we could then go out afterwards and discuss the intricacies of the collaborative process...how effective the director was in carrying out his vision...if his vision was worth carrying out at all...the acting...too internal?...over the top?...the cinematography...who has he worked with before?...the opening weekend box office...the...the...oh the possibilities...but we must not agree on everything...even if we do...please pretend we dont...if only you would play the devils advocate...excite me with your ability to argue both sides of the issue...never revealing your true feelings...until the end...when you spring them on me in a whirlwind of passion and informative ecstasy...i love it...i am full of life and love and i owe it to you my friends...my cinema eating...film loving...movie discussing professors of the silver screen...where would i be without you to guide me and challenge me and point me to a brighter future...statues will be erected to honor your brilliance and insight...books will be written to chronicle your evolution...the simple yet profound opinions you hold...the unbridled desire to share with others...the enthusiasm for all that is film...the board is yours and we are merely standing in your way...ignore our silly games and march on to your predestined zion where you will be surrounded by brainloads of names and dates and theories and critiques and popcorn and oh what a world...i envy you...you who have studied the history of this art form...who have read enough and seen enough to formulate such wonderful views on the past present and future of film...you carry a torch of understanding...a sword of truth and a book of names...teach us...you can still reach us...when we seem far we are near...oh yes...we rely on you...for without the sharing and caring we have only hiptronic hystrionic fits for shoes and we skip to the meat treat beat without knowing what you know...feeling what you bleed and seeing what you see...the trumpet has sounded...the call to arms has been sent...no more should we entertain ourselves with delusions of confusion...tis time to book up and demonsrate our ability to regurgitate film reviews we have read...textbooks we wrote...interviews we watched and opinions we respect...our favorite filmmakers are gods...because we worship them they are gods...they are gods because we worship them...they are us and we are them...we are gods and what we speak is scripture...we are entitled to our scripture and it is blasphemy to disagree...we may disguise our contempt but secretly we know the opinions of others...especially regarding movies...dont add up...cant count...condemn us no longer holy ones...lead us to the promise land or at least back to the new wave...part the sea of mediocrity and guide your people to the local cineplex of plenty...movies from heaven to feed our souls...thank you father...thank you for providing us what we need...what this board needs...fulfilling its purpose and design...keeping it sacred and real...talking your movie speel...never detracting...always reacting...sorry for such a short note but i have trouble expressing myself when it comes to my feelings and i am entitled enough to take as much space as needed in order to feel vindicated...no...understood...thats better...you are my children...my siblings...my parents...do you like me...can i be heard...do my thoughts matter...whats the matter...oh no no...not again...please mom anything...spank me...ground me...please dont make me watch those old movies again...a childhood of abuse and neglect left a poor excuse for the rants you let loose...its all rock and roll to me...

whew
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

MacGuffin

That was straight from the heart and truthful. Thank you for sharing yourself. It is much appreciated.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

atticus jones

...think nothing of it my friend
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mei would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to those of you who engage in serious, meaningful film discussion and debate...i recognize there are many ................................

whew

shit...got my attention and respect....very well put!

*buys a round of drinks*

©brad

Quote from: mei would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to those of you who engage in serious, meaningful film discussion and debate...............................................a childhood of abuse and neglect left a poor excuse for the rants you let loose...its all rock and roll to me...

whew

i think a xixax film festival/keg party would be pretty nice.

SoNowThen

Quote from: mei would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to those of you who engage in serious, meaningful film discussion and debate...i recognize there are many distractions here and often ill tempered citizens who would try to steer threads in an unproductive, antagonistic direction...but it is you few who...i like that...you few who...that remind me of why we are all here...your insights continually enlighten me as to how i can more appreciate cinema...i am educated by you and have been introduced to a world of information that i never knew existed...the spirited, honest discussion you engage in should be an example to all of us as to how movie lovers everywhere can grow together in peace and understanding...i look forward to not only the wealth of knowledge and understanding each of you demonstrate but also to the brilliant films you may one day make...or have made...who knew...i dream of a day when we will sit together in a darkened theater and enjoy a film together...we could then go out afterwards and discuss the intricacies of the collaborative process...how effective the director was in carrying out his vision...if his vision was worth carrying out at all...the acting...too internal?...over the top?...the cinematography...who has he worked with before?...the opening weekend box office...the...the...oh the possibilities...but we must not agree on everything...even if we do...please pretend we dont...if only you would play the devils advocate...excite me with your ability to argue both sides of the issue...never revealing your true feelings...until the end...when you spring them on me in a whirlwind of passion and informative ecstasy...i love it...i am full of life and love and i owe it to you my friends...my cinema eating...film loving...movie discussing professors of the silver screen...where would i be without you to guide me and challenge me and point me to a brighter future...statues will be erected to honor your brilliance and insight...books will be written to chronicle your evolution...the simple yet profound opinions you hold...the unbridled desire to share with others...the enthusiasm for all that is film...the board is yours and we are merely standing in your way...ignore our silly games and march on to your predestined zion where you will be surrounded by brainloads of names and dates and theories and critiques and popcorn and oh what a world...i envy you...you who have studied the history of this art form...who have read enough and seen enough to formulate such wonderful views on the past present and future of film...you carry a torch of understanding...a sword of truth and a book of names...teach us...you can still reach us...when we seem far we are near...oh yes...we rely on you...for without the sharing and caring we have only hiptronic hystrionic fits for shoes and we skip to the meat treat beat without knowing what you know...feeling what you bleed and seeing what you see...the trumpet has sounded...the call to arms has been sent...no more should we entertain ourselves with delusions of confusion...tis time to book up and demonsrate our ability to regurgitate film reviews we have read...textbooks we wrote...interviews we watched and opinions we respect...our favorite filmmakers are gods...because we worship them they are gods...they are gods because we worship them...they are us and we are them...we are gods and what we speak is scripture...we are entitled to our scripture and it is blasphemy to disagree...we may disguise our contempt but secretly we know the opinions of others...especially regarding movies...dont add up...cant count...condemn us no longer holy ones...lead us to the promise land or at least back to the new wave...part the sea of mediocrity and guide your people to the local cineplex of plenty...movies from heaven to feed our souls...thank you father...thank you for providing us what we need...what this board needs...fulfilling its purpose and design...keeping it sacred and real...talking your movie speel...never detracting...always reacting...sorry for such a short note but i have trouble expressing myself when it comes to my feelings and i am entitled enough to take as much space as needed in order to feel vindicated...no...understood...thats better...you are my children...my siblings...my parents...do you like me...can i be heard...do my thoughts matter...whats the matter...oh no no...not again...please mom anything...spank me...ground me...please dont make me watch those old movies again...a childhood of abuse and neglect left a poor excuse for the rants you let loose...its all rock and roll to me...

whew

I hope this isn't tongue-in-cheek, cuz that's how I feel about this board... and life with movies in general. Maybe I'm too serious, but what the hell.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

atticus jones

seriously tho...

hope is 4 letta...

word

SoNowThen

So honest excitement and enthusiasm aren't in vogue now, or what?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

atticus jones

i dont subscribe to that magazine...

tho i sumtimes look at the pictures...

Tiff

i didn't like that video. but i like listening to the song tho.
"Shut the fuck up!"

modage

if CITY OF GOD still belongs in this topic, uhh... i liked it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

atticus jones

if i believe you have contributed anything meaningful...uh...i doubt it

SoNowThen

You're kinda mean-spirited, yes?