David Gordon Green

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2003, 10:50:11 AM

MacGuffin

David Gordon Green To Direct College Football Project 'Score' Written By & Starring Don Johnson
Source: Playlist

While David Gordon Green has a plethora of Lost, Unmade & Abandoned Projects, that's only because the filmmaker tends to have a handful of irons in the fire at any one time, hoping one will spark into his next project. He's certainly not one willing to sit idle for too long. With "Joe" dropping in theaters this spring, the director has already lined up the Steven Soderbergh-produced comedy series "Red Oaks" over at Amazon Studios. And it seems the streaming world holds another opportunity for Green, who apparently has another gig in the works.

Speaking with Grantland, Don Johnson reveals he's written something that he'll star in, with Green behind the camera. "I've actually written something that David Gordon Green is attached to direct. I'm gonna do it for streaming," Johnson said. "It's called 'Score' and it's set in the '80s, and it's about the rise of big-time college football. I play this outrageous fucking coach who breaks all the rules and recruits basically criminals and everybody else and shoots the finger [extends middle finger in my direction] to the NCAA."

It's not clear if it's a series or movie, but either way, there are still a few steps to clear before this is a reality. "I wrote it in October and I wanna get it financed completely so I can go to the marketplace without layers and layers of executives and bureaucrats. In my mind if you're not bringing something to the dance, but you're taking a big chunk of the cash, I got no room for you," Johnson added.

So we'll see how this pans out, and we're certainly curious to know more. Either way, it looks like Green and Johnson hit it off on the set of "Eastbound & Down"—maybe "Score" will be to Don Johnson what "Joe" was to Nicolas Cage? A highlight reel for the kind of range they don't always get to show off? We shall see.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Red Oaks is now playing on Amazon

jenkins

I don't know if there'll come a day in the future when DGG again makes a film that everyone loves. I like how he works in danger zones now. I think his movies feel like people, so I like them.

Manglehorn currently has a 46% on Rotten Tomatoes. I like how it's below fifty. That's living dangerously. I think its poster is also important, and a link to a clip from Playlist where Al punches Harmony.

http://www.indiewire.com/embed/player.jsp?videoId=0000014e-020f-d66d-a77f-d30f317a0000&width=480

Gold Trumpet

I don't like DGG hasn't had a film since George Washington that has been as thought out and nuanced. All of films seem to ride on singular focuses, whether it's a drama noted for simple realism and one elemental character focus or a comedy trenched in absurd dynamics and also laced with a little minimal realism. I think he makes too many films too often. Joe was just a year ago when i wish he would try to flesh out his projects a little more.

jenkins

It's inappropriate to use conjunctions when talking about singular focuses. Think about it.

Gold Trumpet

I understand but for a full film, it's still relatively singular and simplistic. DGG could be doing a lot more. If we're complimenting him on continually getting low ratings and doing what the fuck he wants, we're going to start complimenting Johnny Depp for making throwaway comedies in the idea he also doesn't give a fuck anymore. Joe was alright but still, too much talent to be settling all the time for middle of the road films.

jenkins

Neither Joe nor Prince Avalanche are favorite movies of mine, while perhaps George Washington could be a favorite movie of mine (it's not, but it could be), but from Joe I admire the textures of southern personality that were exhibited, the masculine traits exhibited in Joe impressed me far more than Eastbound & Down, which btw is I show that gave me the addiction hunger that tv can, and Emile Hirsch in Prince Avalanche gives like the best storytelling monologue in a long time, I'm pretty sure, I know he knocks his story out of the park. People things, that's what I like, and I think DGG continues to investigate them in different forms. DGG's said before he became disillusioned with time/benefit after working on Snow Angels for so long and his efforts not mattering to the world. I don't at all think DGG's making throwaway comedies now, I didn't even know Johnny Depp is a director, and no matter what perspective you choose I just don't think it'd be right to say that DGG has ever stopped caring about people and how he portrays them.

BB

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 17, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
...I didn't even know Johnny Depp is a director...

Are you telling me you've never seen/heard of The Brave? Seems like it'd be poised on the outskirts of your wheelhouse. You could really like it (you won't, but you could).

jenkins

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 17, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
Neither Joe nor Prince Avalanche our favorite movies of mine, while perhaps George Washington could be a favorite movie of mine (it's not, but it could be), but from Joe I admire the textures of southern personality that were exhibited, the masculine traits exhibited in Joe impressed me far more than Eastbound & Down, which btw is I show that gave me the addiction hunger that tv can, and Emile Hirsch in Prince Avalanche gives like the best storytelling monologue in a long time, I'm pretty sure, I know he knocks his story out of the park. People things, that's what I like, and I think DGG continues to investigate them in different forms. DGG's said before he became disillusioned with time/benefit after working on Snow Angels for so long and his efforts not mattering to the world. I don't at all think DGG's making throwaway comedies now, I didn't even know Johnny Depp is a director, and no matter what perspective you choose I just don't think it'd be right to say that DGG has ever stopped caring about people and how he portrays them.

1.) No, wasn't saying Depp as director. But he's star of comedies and they are tooled to fit personalities he wants to play. Like a producer tooling a film to their ideals or a star tooling a movie to fit his personality (i.e. Tom Cruise), it's not always the director who is the major guiding force.

2.) Don't think DGG doesn't care - just think what he's doing isn't very good. I'm interested to see Mangelhorn, but more for Al Pacino's performance. It reminds me of People I Know and being more of a performance memorable film than anything else.

jenkins

I simply don't think that, without DGG, Pacino's performance would be tooled in Mangelhorn as it will be, and I mean that from a multi-faceted perspective.

jenkins

Jeremy Blackman

Sorry, I don't see the resemblance.

just wanted to mention that I've recently been smoking pineapple express which I didn't know was an actual strain until now

cronopio 2

No one will call this a perfect movie and perhaps it is Minor Lazy over Humanly Imperfect sometimes, but I liked it because mystery, and/Orr sometimes there's cinematic poetry of course.