The Evil Dead movies

Started by Banky, October 19, 2003, 08:10:57 PM

Banky

I really want to buy the trilogy but there are like 4 versions on DVD of each.  Which one of each should i buy?

MacGuffin

The top of the line, with all the extras, versions are:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

modage

true that, or the out of print version of army...

better cover.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

True, the OOP "Army" has a better cover, but the "Boomstick Ed." has all new Bruce Campbell liner notes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

ooh, sweet.  i still have to get that Evil Dead Companion you recommended.  Mac, how do you feel about the cropping on the Necronomicon Evil Dead DVD?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02Mac, how do you feel about the cropping on the Necronomicon Evil Dead DVD?

I don't mind. In the Evil Dead Companion, Raimi apparently indicated that while shot at 1.33:1, Dead was meant to be viewed matted to 1.66:1, and he personally supervised this transfer.

Anyway, I also kept this version to please the purist in me and it has the poster I've always loved:

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinI don't mind. In the Evil Dead Companion, Raimi apparently indicated that while shot at 1.33:1, Dead was meant to be viewed matted to 1.66:1, and he personally supervised this transfer.

good. i didnt know raimi had anything to do with the transfer.  i remember getting it when it came out and watching it and not really noticing anything different, assuming it WAS supposed to be matted as such.  but then i read some irrate review on amazon.com talking about it being CROPPED! and losing part of the image.  but if it was raimis intention then it doesnt bother me.

Find Your Magali

For Army of Darkness, I have the "Bootleg Edition" and never upgraded to the Boomstick. Am I missing a lot?

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek237

I have bought just about every version of every Evil Dead DVD released in the past 3 years. I sold the useless ones so now I have only the top of line editions, all 3 that MacGuffin mentioned. Book Of The Dead edition, Evil Dead II SE, and Boomstick edition.

modage

Quote from: Find Your MagaliFor Army of Darkness, I have the "Bootleg Edition" and never upgraded to the Boomstick. Am I missing a lot?

if i'm not mistaken you are missing the theatrical version with the S Mart ending, a few alternate takes, and about 15 minutes of fat trimmed out.  you should get a version that carries both theatrical and directors cut.

MacGuffin

Exclusive Evil Dead 2 News!
Anchor Bay to release new DVD edition of the horror classic.

IGN DVD recently found out that a new DVD edition of Sam Raimi's classic creepshow Evil Dead 2 is scheduled for release later this year. According to an insider at Anchor Bay, the company will offer yet another set to celebrate Raimi's hair-raising opus, and will include a glut of new features and interview previously unavailable on DVD.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Stop it already!  Release definitive 2 or 3-disc versions of each one and be done with it!

GoneSavage

At one of Bruce Campbell's readings for Chins, he was asked why they keep releasing the movies over and over again.  He replied simply "because you keep buying them."  Struth.