official Fiona Apple thread

Started by neatahwanta, November 29, 2003, 05:24:09 PM

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 11, 2005, 07:57:32 PM
FIONA SET TO PLAY DATES WITH COLDPLAY IN 2006!
1/25 Seattle WA Key Arena

Hmm... in Seattle on my birthday.  A sign from God, perhaps?
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Fiona Apple bruised but ready for tour

Grammy-winning singer Fiona Apple, who went into self-imposed exile for several years from live performing, is terrified at the thought of preparing for her upcoming concert tour, and now it's less than two weeks away.

The tour to promote her 1999 critically acclaimed album, "When the Pawn ..." did not go well. She famously walked off stage at a Manhattan concert in tears after only two songs, never to return that evening. Since 2000, she has avoided the stage.

"It makes me panic inside to think that I'm not going to be able to remember my own songs and the work that it's going to take to learn them again," Apple said in an interview.

Hence her nerves at the prospect of a 13-city U.S. tour, starting on November 22 in Portland, Oregon, to promote her latest album, "Extraordinary Machine." Still, she has not spent much time rehearsing. This tour ends December 11 in New York.

"Did I once sit down at the piano in my house in the last three years and try to work on these songs before the last weekend?" she asked, laughing. "No, I put everything off until the two days before we started rehearsals!"

But after only three days of practice with her band, her jitters are subsiding as her "fingers are remembering" her old songs, such as "Shadowboxer," "Criminal" and "Never is a Promise" from her triple-platinum 1996 debut album "Tidal."

Apple, 28, who grew up in New York and lives in Venice Beach, California, has already had her fair share of drama.

She caused a stir in 1997, appearing looking anorexic and in her underwear for the video of her hit "Criminal." She spoke also openly about being raped at age 12, and she has been described in print as tortured, controversial, volatile, disturbed as well as a magnificent musician.

RALLYING FANS

The release of "Extraordinary Machine" in October comes after rumors began that her record label Sony had rejected it, prompting fans to demand its release on a Web site, www.freefiona.com.

Apple said she was the one, not Sony, who wasn't happy with the initial recordings for the album and caused years of delay, but the pressure from her fans helped Sony come to the realization that she was "a good investment."

Reviews have been positive.

"Apple ... is as musically sure-footed as she is emotionally labile," The New Yorker wrote. "'Extraordinary Machine' is the confident extension of a rich and original musical language that she has been carefully fashioning for the past decade."

While she's feeling less apprehensive about hitting the road again, she does not rule out the possibility of another on-stage "meltdown." Part of her new confidence comes from growing older and part from the realization that she doesn't need music in her life, she said.

"If anything I think I care a lot less about my career than I did years ago," Apple said. "I'm more looking at going on the road as a fun experience, I'm not depending on a great show to make me feel like a great person.

"I spent six years without this life, so I know I can go back to a life without all this crap," she added.

Apple said she doesn't even really listen to other people's music.

Though the headliner on her upcoming tour, Apple will be the opening act for chart-topping British band Coldplay for some U.S. concerts next year -- a task she said would be relatively easy for her. In the past, opening for bands including The Counting Crows and The Rolling Stones, Apple said she felt like an "uninvited guest."

"It sucks because half the people are there, and it sounds strange in the those huge places when it's only half full," she said. "It used to kind of bother me. But now when I think about it, it feels pretty easy because the pressure is off. I can go up for 45 minutes and then just forget about it."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Got my tickets for Fiona and Colplay in Detroit.

Hooray for something to look forward to!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 11, 2005, 09:22:19 PM

Grammy-winning singer Fiona Apple, who went into self-imposed exile for several years from live performing, is terrified at the thought of preparing for her upcoming concert tour, and now it's less than two weeks away.

The tour to promote her 1999 critically acclaimed album, "When the Pawn ..." did not go well. She famously walked off stage at a Manhattan concert in tears after only two songs, never to return that evening. Since 2000, she has avoided the stage.

"It makes me panic inside to think that I'm not going to be able to remember my own songs and the work that it's going to take to learn them again," Apple said in an interview.

Just got back from Fiona's first show of her tour.

Fucking amazing. Easily one of the best shows I have seen in a very long time. She actually started to cry right after her 4th song because the crowd was pouring out so much affection. Fiona worked her way through all of the expected tracks from "Tidal" and "When the Pawn.." with such passion it gave me goosebumps. Once she warmed up to a large crowd again, she was absolutely terrific. I can't wait to see her with Coldplay.

..she waves goodbye to everyone at the end of her show and walks back on stage about 15 seconds later.

"I don't even know why I left. I mean, you knew I was coming back. I need to come up with something different because.. I don't know.." She smiles and the audience has a good laugh.

Closes with "Parting Gift".

GO SEE HER IF YOU CAN. You won't regret it.

ono

Gotta setlist, plzkthx?  What was the fourth song that made her cry?

Ghostboy

So I finally have a chance to see her, but it's at a huge Hockey stadium and I have to pay to see Coldplay too? Man...

Myxo

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 23, 2005, 02:25:09 AM
Gotta setlist, plzkthx?  What was the fourth song that made her cry?
I honestly can't remember. It was a really quiet and beautiful track though. Pretty sure it was from "When the Pawn"..

Limp maybe?

Some guy in the crowd yelled "HI!" and Fiona is about to start her song and she says to him, "Did you just say hi?" and starts cracking up.

ono

Probably not Limp -- that one's hardly quiet.  Probably Love Ridden or The Way Things Are.  No setlist?

Anyway, how were the songs from her new album, heard live?  Did they match up to the tone taken on the album, mostly, or was there a mix of the touches from the leaked version?

Myxo

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 23, 2005, 07:32:18 AM
Probably not Limp -- that one's hardly quiet.  Probably Love Ridden or The Way Things Are.  No setlist?

Anyway, how were the songs from her new album, heard live?  Did they match up to the tone taken on the album, mostly, or was there a mix of the touches from the leaked version?

Setlist for Portland, Oregon 11/22/2005

Get Him Back (Fiona at piano)
Better Version of Me (piano)
Shadowboxer (piano)
To Your Love (piano) - she said this song was very close to her...she likes to be alone "I spend way too much time by myself"
I Know (standing at microphone)
Sleep to Dream (standing)
Limp (standing)
Paper Bag (standing)
Tymps (standing) - "I wrote this song because I needed something good to come of a relationship that I stayed in WAY too long"
Oh Well (piano)
On The Bound (piano)
Red, Red, Red (standing)
Not About Love (piano)
O'Sailor (piano)
Get Gone (piano)
Fast As You Can (standing)
Encores:
Extraordinary Machine (with only Mr. Garza or whoever on guitar and the upright bass)
Criminal (standing)
Parting Gift (at piano, alone on stage)

Pubrick

so the one that made her cry was the 5th song.

anyway, good list, despite the occasional "wtf is tymps".
under the paving stones.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

Quote from: pete on November 24, 2005, 01:56:58 PM
how was David Garza?
Not my cup of tea. It annoyed the hell out of me that every time he'd finish a phrase, it would have a few seconds of vibrato. Not a slow pleasant vibrato either. It sounded like he was yodeling. I really like his voice and he's an amazing guitarist, but I couldn't get past that. His lyrics are good though.

tpfkabi

so what is the setup for this coldplay/fa tour?
are they coheadlining?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on November 27, 2005, 12:39:52 AM
so what is the setup for this coldplay/fa tour?
are they coheadlining?

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 11, 2005, 09:22:19 PMThough the headliner on her upcoming tour, Apple will be the opening act for chart-topping British band Coldplay for some U.S. concerts next year -- a task she said would be relatively easy for her. In the past, opening for bands including The Counting Crows and The Rolling Stones, Apple said she felt like an "uninvited guest."

"It sucks because half the people are there, and it sounds strange in the those huge places when it's only half full," she said. "It used to kind of bother me. But now when I think about it, it feels pretty easy because the pressure is off. I can go up for 45 minutes and then just forget about it."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks