Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Vicko99

Quote from: jviness02 on October 23, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.
Tell us something more!!!!

polkablues

If I was shown that trailer absent any foreknowledge or context, I would never guess it was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, and that fact excites me more than I can describe. The greatest filmmaker in the world is doing something he hasn't done before. Regardless of anyone's personal impressions of the trailer itself, if that doesn't give you a tingle, you should give up on movies altogether.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on October 23, 2017, 05:32:51 PM
If I was shown that trailer absent any foreknowledge or context, I would never guess it was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, and that fact excites me more than I can describe. The greatest filmmaker in the world is doing something he hasn't done before. Regardless of anyone's personal impressions of the trailer itself, if that doesn't give you a tingle, you should give up on movies altogether.

Agreed. I'm kinda bummed about the lack of enthusiasm so far. Come on Xixax, do you know how rare a moment it is when a PTA trailer drops? It's almost as exciting as watching the film itself. We should be turned up to 11 right now. This was me when I first saw the trailer in my Facebook feed before immediately clicking over here.

It's amazing how with every first viewing of a PTA trailer - this one included - you NEVER know what to expect. Most of your predictions are usually proven wrong (in a good way). I don't know how the man does it.

jenkins

i really don't think there's much dispute toward Scorsese being the greatest living filmmaker. it's just kind of funny to say anyone else.

Yes

Quote from: jviness02 on October 23, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.

Spill more details please  :shock: Do you have any word on the runtime of the film  :ponder:

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on October 23, 2017, 06:22:20 PM
i really don't think there's much dispute toward Scorsese being the greatest living filmmaker. it's just kind of funny to say anyone else.

I think Scorsese's films are very often brilliant (Goodfellas can still melt my brain whenever I watch it), so I'll avoid the term "best" and say that PTA is my favorite living filmmaker.  My heart isn't broken if Marty makes a 'dud';  I'm still disappointed in Inherent Vice.

wilberfan

I've been scanning a lot of the online press about the trailer today.  It's interesting (and logical) that for the most part the headlines are about "Daniel Day-Lewis' Last Role!"--whereas my headline would be "Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Feature!"

BB

Quote from: ©brad on October 23, 2017, 05:45:25 PM
I'm kinda bummed about the lack of enthusiasm so far. Come on Xixax, do you know how rare a moment it is when a PTA trailer drops? It's almost as exciting as watching the film itself. We should be turned up to 11 right now.

This is what I was getting at in the Blade Runner thread:

Quote from: BB on October 10, 2017, 01:24:36 AM
I feel like this movie raises an interesting question about the extent to which context matters when it comes to the quality of a film. To me, it's a MIRACLE given the modern studio system (if this does well and the general public demonstrates a taste for it, some real interesting films could get made), but agree that it's not perfect. Most movies of this scale don't even seem to try to try for perfect. And you never know what might have been studio mandated. The runtime almost definitely given that most people won't leave the house for anything less than two hours.

The same thing seems to be happening with The Florida Project, with people online getting pretty nit-picky. These are good films! Real deal adventurous, interesting films!

Have this persistent feeling that people -- even movie people -- are a little down on movies lately. PT looks exciting! Homie's name is Woodcock! Merchant-Ivory movies are great!

Sleepless

I had to give this some time to breathe in my brain. Wow. Looks amazing. Don't get the criticisms at all, unless it's simply not what people expected. I can understand that. But this isn't any M&I stuff - it's not even Terence Davies does M&I. It's PTA, period. The crescendoing music cut bluntly with the clip of the scissors on fabric, the rat-a-tat dialogue at the trailers end. Shivers! What about this looks like a happy, romantic love story? My take is that it's about the pursuit of perfection, something that is never attainable. A doomed desire for control. And, of course, much more, that we simply can't know from a brief trailer. Is Woodcock homosexual? Possibly. But I'm betting there's something more interesting than that here. After all, you can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat. There's the promise of plenty of surprises. It gets better every time I watch it. Cannot fucking wait.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Scrooby

"After all, you can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat."

Nice line: and it brings us to what may be a meaning of the title. "Phantom Threads" are the secrets regarding the artist encoded in the artist's work. (Whether intentionally integrated, or unconsciously done, is irrelevant.)

Secrets that may be eventually revealed, or that may never come to light.

Yes

The FYC Ad is up:

DDL is Leading, Krieps is Leading; Manville is Supporting

PTA is not listed for Cinematography

https://focusfeaturesguilds2017.com/categories/phantom-thread/

csage97

Quote from: Sleepless on October 23, 2017, 07:41:44 PM
I had to give this some time to breathe in my brain. Wow. Looks amazing. Don't get the criticisms at all, unless it's simply not what people expected. I can understand that. But this isn't any M&I stuff - it's not even Terence Davies does M&I. It's PTA, period. The crescendoing music cut bluntly with the clip of the scissors on fabric, the rat-a-tat dialogue at the trailers end. Shivers! What about this looks like a happy, romantic love story? My take is that it's about the pursuit of perfection, something that is never attainable. A doomed desire for control. And, of course, much more, that we simply can't know from a brief trailer. Is Woodcock homosexual? Possibly. But I'm betting there's something more interesting than that here. After all, you can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat. There's the promise of plenty of surprises. It gets better every time I watch it. Cannot fucking wait.

I'm with you on this one. I was skeptical after the plot synopsis a couple days ago, but after seeing the trailer, it seems that there's tons of mystery and something strange woven into the story, just as the title and the music suggests. I was worried it would just be a stately basic love story, but I'm thinking and hoping there's going to be something more odd going on.

This frame is unmistakably PTA, by the way.

jenkins

Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
Quote from: BigSock on October 23, 2017, 07:51:24 PM
The FYC Ad is up:

DDL is Leading, Krieps is Leading; Manville is Supporting

PTA is not listed for Cinematography

https://focusfeaturesguilds2017.com/categories/phantom-thread/

Dammit.

according to its imdb page, which was nodoubt inputted by the production company, PTA isn't credited as being the cinematographer. i'd go ahead and guess that means a nomination isn't possible.

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins on October 23, 2017, 08:01:38 PM
according to its imdb page, which was nodoubt inputted by the production company, PTA isn't credited as being the cinematographer. i'd go ahead and guess that means a nomination isn't possible.

Most likely the result of Guild-related complexities concerning who can be credited how. If he chose to be credited as a pseudonym, like Soderbergh does for his cinematography, or the Coens for their editing, he could still be nominated (technically the pseudonym would get the nomination). I have no idea how nominations might work if there literally is no cinematographer credit on the film, or even if the ASC would allow it to be uncredited in that way.
My house, my rules, my coffee

martinthewarrior

Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 06:27:32 PM
Quote from: jenkins on October 23, 2017, 06:22:20 PM

I think Scorsese's films are very often brilliant (Goodfellas can still melt my brain whenever I watch it), so I'll avoid the term "best" and say that PTA is my favorite living filmmaker.  My heart isn't broken if Marty makes a 'dud';  I'm still butthurt over Inherent Vice.

Except Inherent Vice is a masterpiece, so there's that.