Lending out DVD nightmare stories

Started by B.C. Long, December 24, 2007, 12:06:33 AM

B.C. Long

So I lend my Mom the Days of Heaven Criterion Collection because she read the back and saw that Richard Gere was in it and wanted to see it. No big deal, right? So a week later I get back the DVD and there's permanent marker on the outside of the cover in big black letters "LONG" my family surname. My first reaction is "WHAT THE FUCK?" I open up the DVD case and on the fucking DVD in BIG BLACK LETTERS is "LONG". I calmly pick up the phone and dial my Mom's number. She picks up and I ask her why she desecrated by DVD with a sharpie. She tells me she let someone else borrow it and wanted to make sure she would get it back and at this point I could tell her how she ruined the value of the DVD or aesthetically is just looks fucking tacky. But I decided not to because she wouldn't really have a concept of what I'm talking about and plus she did it innocently. Maybe I'm just incredibly particular about my DVDs, but I can't stand shit like this. I want to rebuy the damn thing now.

Anyone else have experiences of lending out your DVDs to friends and them giving it back all messed up or never giving it back at all?

Gold Trumpet

Years ago, I lent a kid my Persona DVD. Two weeks later he said his mom had lost it. I figured no big deal and asked him for $20 but he said he couldn't give me the money because he had to give all the money he made back to his family because they were depending on his income. This coming from a kid who was working at a fucking video store. We were good friends but not great friends so I drifted away from him. Bugging him for months straight got me nowhere. I learned later he was a regular at bars, poker tournaments and other shit so I found out he was lying. Its just that I found this out two years too late and since I already bought Persona again, I didn't care to give him shit.

Now I don't give any DVDs away by my favorite directors unless I absolutely trust the person. Since most people are more interested in my copy of the Crow, it's not a big deal. But I'll find the occasional foreign fan who considers himself an Akira Kurosawa fan but only knows him from Seven Samurai and Yojimbo and they salivate over my description of his other films but I have to decline them borrowing rights on those titles.

picolas

i lent my memento limited edition to someone and they threw away the sticky note. they thought it had nothing to do with the dvd.

i loved that note..

Bethie

I let a good friend at work borrow Kicking and Screaming. I thought it was okay because previously I've loaned him Criterion Slacker. He was on vacation for a week from work and I told him I don't mind that he still had it, I would prefer he had it than it be sitting at work. Well when he came in to get his check during the week, he brought my dvd back. I wasn't there. I get to work and I see my dvd sitting on the bar... I pick it up, it's dripping. I was furious. The entire back was wet, I went to remove the insert, to set it out to dry, and it ripped. I left a nasty note for my friend, how criterions are the best you can get and now basically my copy is worthless. He felt so awful (which was the notes intent) and offered to buy me a new copy. I said no. So to this day the back of my copy of Kicking and Screaming is all crinkly.
who likes movies anyway

cine

you can just say you were kicking and screaming, its ok..

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Stefen

I don't let anybody borrow shit. Nothing ever, ever, ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

I lent someone my SE of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and he lost it.  He gave me three DVDs in return, but its not quite the same.  Another friend lost my copy of Hard Eight.

squints

wasn't there already a thread about this somewhere?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

last days of gerry the elephant

Ok, I finally decided to vent here because this is the fourth time I let someone borrow Before Sunrise and they manage to loose it. It doesn't just stop there, Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia, True Romance (special edition), and Happiness to name a few... I had to rebuy within this year alone (2008) because people are jerks. What is it about these people and loosing shit? Maybe it's just a bad circle of friends I've got... assholes.

New rule, I'm simply not lending out anything anymore. Wait a minute, wasn't there a thread about this sort of thing before? I should have looked for it. Please tell me more of you share the same feeling here.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks