Stuff Magazine Interview

Started by MacGuffin, December 22, 2003, 06:12:49 PM

modage

Quote from: David LynchI love and hate Philadelphia. I had a great, great, great, great time there experiencing the sickness and the corruption and the filth and the fear and the insanity of Philadelphia. So it was very good to me, but I was very glad to leave that place.
hey!  somebody knows what i'm talking about.  :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weird. Oh

Hey Modern What's wrong with Philly? I love this city so much! Some of the people are complete morons but that's not exclusive to Philly. Idiots are everywhere! Philadelphia is a great city with a lot of history and culture in it. I can't believe you would hate on Philly so much  :(
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Chest Rockwell

Philadelphia is the fattest city in the US.

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellPhiladelphia is the fattest city in the US.
oh YEAH it is.  its sick.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaThat's the thing about Lynch's work, though.  There's not a sincere bone in its body.  It's too steeped in irony
Irony? You dare simplify Lynch to irony?

I think he's more sincere than most people think... and I think that far too often, when people sense that some one is getting at something they don't quite understand, they say that it must be irony. That's the problem with postmodernism... it's made people numb to indefinite meaning.

Also, it just dawned on me... why do people think experimental films are pretentious? The establishment is pretentious, the formula is pretentious, the pretense that everything strange must be ironic is pretentious!

gasp

Pubrick

agree ^^^

but i hav a theory that ppl are scared of meaning altogether. anything that proposes an idea foreign or novel to them, and is not fed to them so that they don't hav to THINK about the idea, merely passively react to it, is automatically pretentious/bad. it is pretentious to give the audience any credit, basically.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

^^^^^^ i also agree with both of you guys.....

OnO...why ??? say those things ...????

why....????.. films would suck.....if it wasn't for people like lynch..doing his .."ironic-pretentious un-sincere" films.......the multiplexes would be filled w/ garbage like...............this:

SiliasRuby

Quote from: NEON MERCURY^^^^^^ i also agree with both of you guys.....

OnO...why ??? say those things ...????

why....????.. films would suck.....if it wasn't for people like lynch..doing his .."ironic-pretentious un-sincere" films.......the multiplexes would be filled w/ garbage like...............this:

I agree with all three of you, especially you Neon...Gosh it is sad that there are people probably out there who watch charlie's angel's continuely...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

molly

Quote from: Pubrickagree ^^^

but i hav a theory that ppl are scared of meaning altogether. anything that proposes an idea foreign or novel to them, and is not fed to them so that they don't hav to THINK about the idea, merely passively react to it, is automatically pretentious/bad. it is pretentious to give the audience any credit, basically.

i think people are scared of the moments in films that require of people to empathise with characters on the screen - silent moments when the viewer is actually some kind of participant in the movie because the message isn't recieved without his/her collaboration. If you ask me, art has been interactive since the beggining. If it's not interactive, it's not art, maybe. I don't mean interactive in computer technology way.

rustinglass

Quote from: SiliasRuby
I agree with all three of you, especially you Neon...Gosh it is sad that there are people probably out there who watch charlie's angel's continuely...

all my cousins furiously shouted at me when I changed the channel while charlie's angels was on tv last christmas.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Just Withnail

Did you shout back? Hit them with the remote perhaps?