reprise

Started by ©brad, June 01, 2008, 08:08:15 PM

©brad

oh my godddddddddddddd i want to kiss Joachim Trier and everyone who was in/responsible for this beautiful Norwegian film right on the mouth. this is what cinema is for in my book. it's funny and sad and inspiring and just lovely, with an amelie-like playfulness and city of god-aesthetic (without the sweat). anyone who's ever written or created something, fuck, everyone who comes to this board should go see this.

trailer here.

cinemanarchist

Saw this tonight and it put me in such a wonderful and creative mood. I love movies that tackle youth and creative energy with such gusto. I had such a stupid grin most of the time even though the film was far from upbeat most of the time.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

pete

I saw it on its way out.  it's one of the best edited movies I've seen.  there's something about characters that name drop or reference their favorite bands in films that always bothered me, and some of my nitpicks with this film just has to do with how "cool" the characters are, but the film making is pretty much spot-on most of the time.  I also could have done without a few narration sequences, too, but it has a heart and the friendship it celebrates is wonderful.
that being said.
let me say this again.
to all you ig'nt motherfuckers.

if you wanna watch another great film about friendship, its purity, and tension between two boys crafting their art.
WATCH PING PONG.

seriously.
but reprise is real good too.  the sound design is also very deft.  everything is so light but you know it's painstakingly crafted. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

I thought it was pretty good, too.  The references and "coolness" of the characters didn't bother me at all, as I know people like this and the film totally nails that culture which is tied so absolutely to these people.  It is simply tied to their lives.  But normally, I share your peeve about that sort of thing.

Perhaps my only minor gripe is that I felt like I spent the last twenty minutes of the movie just waiting for it to end.  I don't even know if that's a gripe, because it's kind of interesting now that I think about it.  It could've ended at any number of given points, but in a strange way that seems a bit true to life, I guess.

I thought the air quotes were fucking hilarious.  No one else in my theater laughed at that.

Reinhold

Quote from: matt35mm on June 20, 2008, 07:56:31 AM
I thought the air quotes were fucking hilarious.  No one else in my theater laughed at that.

agreed.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

pete

I've been out all day 'cause it's been so hot outside, but it made me feel pretty cool to see some discussion under this thread.  I was getting all bummed out yesterday when I thought people were only talking about superhero movies now.  thanks for proving that wrong.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton