The Sopranos

Started by SoNowThen, November 19, 2003, 02:34:59 PM

SoNowThen

Um, just realized there was no thread dedicated to this brilliant show. Thought I'd put it in DVD Talk, 'cause that's how I watch it.

Anyway, David Chase -- great job. This is tv at its very very best. Michael Imperioli is awesome, acting and writing. Also, the Buscemi episode was a treat.

But most of all this series is just put together so well. The balance of storylines and characters and general mob stuff and humor stuff and family stuff. All top notch.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

Really, brilliant is right.  My HBO subscription is soley based on the sopranos season (and 6 feet under now)  once these start back up, so will my HBO service.  

Favorite character:

phil marlowe

sometimes when i watch sopranos, i find a part of me crying a little. it's that good to me.

Fernando

Quote from: SoNowThenUm, just realized there was no thread dedicated to this brilliant show. Thought I'd put it in DVD Talk, 'cause that's how I watch it.

Anyway, David Chase -- great job. This is tv at its very very best. Michael Imperioli is awesome, acting and writing. Also, the Buscemi episode was a treat.

But most of all this series is just put together so well. The balance of storylines and characters and general mob stuff and humor stuff and family stuff. All top notch.

What a coincidence, this morning I was looking for a Sopranos thread and only found one here that were about both The Sopranos and 6FU.

Anyway, news at HBO.com, The Sopranos season 5 will premiere Sunday, March 7th, 2004.

Earlier this year HBO started to air every single episode in chronological order, so I've been watching all of them, they are now at season four, and so far my favourite character is Ralph Cifaretto, played amazingly well by Joe Pantoliano.

Thecowgoooesmooo

Quick question, when Dr. Melfi gets attacked and rapped in the stairwell, did this happen during the 3rd season or 4th?

chris

FeloniousFunk

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooQuick question, when Dr. Melfi gets attacked and rapped in the stairwell, did this happen during the 3rd season or 4th?

chris

Third.

MacGuffin

The Sopranos Return on March 7
Source: Variety

Just as Sex and the City bids farewell February 22, the fifth season of The Sopranos will kick off March 7 with the first of 13 new episodes, says Variety.

Fans of HBO's signature drama series are certainly champing at the bit in anticipation of what happens next to the New Jersey mob family. The last original episode aired December 8, 2002.

In that episode, "Whitecaps," Edie Falco's Carmela lashed out at James Gandolfini's Tony in an expletive-filled tirade after receiving a phone call from one of Tony's mistresses and proceeded to throw her husband out of the house.

The show will also return for a 10-episode season number 6, which would begin production in early 2005. It is expected that will be the last season for The Sopranos.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

At which point I can go ahead and kill myself... unless they make Sopranos movies.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

bonanzataz

what do people think of this season? i think it's gonna be pretty good. i'm worried for adrianna. i don't know if she'll make it to the end of the season. i think buscemi will be dragged back into his life of crime or he will get killed (or both). wonder what'll happen to uncle junior after seeing the preview for next week's episode.

sopranos are back! I FEEL ALIVE AGAIN!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Thrindle

Quote from: MacGuffinIn that episode, "Whitecaps," Edie Falco's Carmela lashed out at James Gandolfini's Tony in an expletive-filled tirade after receiving a phone call from one of Tony's mistresses and proceeded to throw her husband out of the house.

That episode featured some of the best acting I've ever seen.  Not to sound all "poor me" but I watched my mom go through something similar, and I tell ya, Edie Falco nailed it.  The way she went from screaming to shaking and crying, was incredible.  I have never seen a scene that was more authentic... for a television show that is.
Classic.

Fernando

Quote from: taz.what do people think of this season? i think it's gonna be pretty good. i'm worried for adrianna. i don't know if she'll make it to the end of the season.

So far I love it, about Adrianna it's hard to guess what may come for her, she's such a good character (not that that would save her), I think she either gets killed or dissapears, although she probably doesn't have the guts to leave everything and be on her own, of course you could say she has guts because she's with the feds and all but she's doing it cause she's scared to death.

Quote from: taz.
i think buscemi will be dragged back into his life of crime or he will get killed (or both).

My thoughts exactly, you could feel from the very beginning he and Tony will have some friction, and that could make Tony pull the trigger, talking about friction, it's just a matter of time when Chris and Pauly shoot each other.

Quote from: taz.
wonder what'll happen to uncle junior after seeing the preview for next week's episode.

Will he be the next to croak?
Obviously his sickness will get worse and worse, and probably that's what will kill him.

El Duderino

thank you SoNowThen for starting a thread on this great great show...sadly the last episode of the sopranos i saw was Whitecaps. and i dont have HBO anymore because my mom thought the shows were too sexual so she cancelled our subscription. but yeah, it's a great show, i own seasons 1, 2, 3, & 4, so i have to wait for season 5 to come out on DVD. very excited about steve buscemi.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ElPandaRoyal

I'm sick of waiting for the new season around here.  :evil:
Si

Bruce Lee

what season is the episode when Tony's nephew and this other guy try and bury this russian comando guy, and get lost in the woods freezing their happy sacks off?
its by far the best one out off all that i've seen.

NEON MERCURY

...... :oops: ..........i have actaully never seen an episode.......

i'm a six feet under kind of guy.and NO!!, i'm not ghey.......... :nono: