What Makes a Good Script

Started by Big Owl, February 25, 2004, 03:08:37 PM

Big Owl

Im a brand new member here . I live in ireland and I dont know a lot of aspiring film makers because im 16 and still in school . Im glad i've finally found some people that share my ambitions and opinions.

There are so many  scripts posted  here and a lot of intelligant  responses to them . Thought it would be an interseting topic to start off with because there are so many differant types of script - styles . But which jump off the page most
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

metroshane

As much as we sometimes hate to admit it...the modern standard of storytelling was really established by Shakespeare and the like.  Whether it be a novel, play, or script...it's really just a rehashing of that same format.  So what I'm saying is you could do a lot worse than to brush up on your Shakespeare and study the themes, plot movement, and character developent.  And don't forget motivation.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ordet

Depends on what you're looking for.

Which are you're favorite movies?

Try and get a hold of the scripts and see how they translated to the screen.

The ones that come to mind right now are.

Network – Paddy Chayefsky.
Persona, Cries and Whispers - Ingmar Bergman
Glengarry Glen Ross- David Mamet
Manhattan, Annie Hall-Woody Allen
Casablanca- Epstein's and Howard Koch
Adaptation – Charlie Kaufman
Blood Simple- The Coen's
Magnolia- P.T. Anderson
The Barbarian Invasions- Denys Arcand
Y tu mama tambien- The Cuarons
Breaking The Waves- Lars Von Trier
Mystic River- Brian Helgeland.

There are many more I'll post some more when they come to mind.

Remember that there have been great flicks where the script is not as important. Those are always hard to sell.
And having a good script always helps a lot.

cheers mate. :infinity:  :arrow:
were spinning

Ordet

Quote from: metroshaneAs much as we sometimes hate to admit it...the modern standard of storytelling was really established by Shakespeare and the like.  Whether it be a novel, play, or script...it's really just a rehashing of that same format.  So what I'm saying is you could do a lot worse than to brush up on your Shakespeare and study the themes, plot movement, and character developent.  And don't forget motivation.

Great Point.
were spinning

Big Owl

I'll try that
But what i've always wondered is if script supervisors are more inclined to choose or pay attention to scripts with intrequette dialogue (kaufman , tarantino)over simple dialogue with brilliant visual discriptions (kubrick)that he/she might not understand.
do scripts that rely more on visuals get noticed or appreciated
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

metroshane

You mean script readers...not  supervisors.

...and if you look at the history of hollywood, there is not explaining why some films get made and some don't.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Reinhold

Quote from: metroshaneAs much as we sometimes hate to admit it...the modern standard of storytelling was really established by Shakespeare and the like.  Whether it be a novel, play, or script...it's really just a rehashing of that same format.  So what I'm saying is you could do a lot worse than to brush up on your Shakespeare and study the themes, plot movement, and character developent.  And don't forget motivation.

amen.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.