Good Festivals???

Started by SoNowThen, February 24, 2004, 02:01:46 PM

SoNowThen

So I'll just throw this out there. I'm finishing up my new short (26 minutes, mini dv), and we're trying to put together a plan for festivals.

From what I understand, if you wanna play at a big deal one like Venice, it has to be a world premier. But I dunno about the politics and selection process of a biggie like that (and to be honest with you, I don't think the short's all that great). So maybe I should just try and hit up a ton of the smaller festivals. Of course, with the $30+ entry fee for them all, I wanna only pay for legit ones, and also ones that I may have a chance getting in (it's a little Twilight Zone-y type story, so it doesn't exactly fit with the world peace or diversity themes of a lot of the smaller festivals).

So does anybody have any festival experience, or specific places to recommend? I'd really like to try for Telluride, Toronto, and a few European places, since I may be living in Britain by the end of summer...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

bumparoo

anybody?
at all?

*cartoon crickets*
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

This isn't a festival, but the New Filmmakers program is pretty cool, and can net you screenings in NY and LA (and it's free). www.newfilmmakers.com

My hometown has the Dallas Video Festival (which also plays movies shot on film), which is pretty small but pretty reknowned, and they're accepting now for this year's festival. Not free, but they pay you a percentage of the festival profits, so it kinda evens out. www.dallasvideo.org/

Raikus

www.filmmakers.com has a bunch of festivals listed.

All legit.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

Quote from: GhostboyThis isn't a festival, but the New Filmmakers program is pretty cool, and can net you screenings in NY and LA (and it's free). www.newfilmmakers.com

My hometown has the Dallas Video Festival (which also plays movies shot on film), which is pretty small but pretty reknowned, and they're accepting now for this year's festival. Not free, but they pay you a percentage of the festival profits, so it kinda evens out. www.dallasvideo.org/

If I get into this festival, can I expect an invite for a drink at casa Ghostboy?   :)

Thanks for the links guys.
Any that you've played at that you had good experiences in?

Ghostboy

Anyone dedicated enough to fly all the way to Texas for a short deserves some free imbibement.

Link

Holy cow, the deadline is in 17 days, and I wanna enter one of my flicks.  But the only good one (has done well before in the festival area) has a copyrighted song that can't be taken out (recorded ON location by mistake) (yes, I've submitted it before with the song, but I dont' feel good doing that).  Plus, I'm leaving for Spring Break.  So, I get back the 14th, and I'll have 5/6 days to shoot, edit, and mail a short.  I wanna do it.  It'll prep me for the 24 hour festival later on.  I think I'm excited!