ULTIMATE FILM FANATIC ON IFC BEGINNING JULY 9th 10:30pm E/P

Started by FeloniousFunk, July 03, 2004, 07:36:13 PM

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02and also the auditions to see if i made that show in some small snippet.

Not that I saw, except for a very, very, very, very quick flash when I saw your nametag. It was in a subliminal way that I caught it.
WOW. i cant believe you saw me.  i was in there for a fraction of a second when they were flipping past people, (although they did replay it several times).  and i was walking out for about 1/2 a second too, although i did see a few of the people from my show/auditions.  

also saw the second episode rerun.  again, i'm shocked at how easy the questions were.  the only one i didnt know was the Wedding Singer tagline, although if i had a minute to think about it i probably would've gotten it (since you had unlimited time to answer questions).  i'm glad the guy who won, won.  he seemed old enough to be my dad so its very conceivable he had the most knowledge.  the guy who lost both debates got very flustered very quickly and would blank on all the names.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02and also the auditions to see if i made that show in some small snippet.

Not that I saw, except for a very, very, very, very quick flash when I saw your nametag. It was in a subliminal way that I caught it.
WOW. i cant believe you saw me.  i was in there for a fraction of a second when they were flipping past people, (although they did replay it several times).  and i was walking out for about 1/2 a second too, although i did see a few of the people from my show/auditions.
Which one were you?
And, if you had made it all the way to the Obsession War, what would've been your three items?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

Quote from: ranemaka13Which one were you?  And, if you had made it all the way to the Obsession War, what would've been your three items?
the only stuff i really have are signed things.  Magnolia, Boogie signed by PT.  Rushmore signed by Jason Schwartzman, Silence of the Lambs criterion signed by Demme, Evil Dead book of the dead signed by Bruce Campbell, etc. etc. but in the spirit of diversity i also brought my movie lists i've been going through the past year or so of the movies i need to see, and an early Batman (1989) script with robin in it (!)  so i brought a handful of that stuff since i think somebody else on another show might've had a similar evil dead or rushmore item so i had to bring backups.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Bad show for the women; all eliminated in round one (who knew a cinephile had no idea Clint Eastwood was famous for Dirty Harry). Some better debates this time. And I want that Evil Dead Book of the Dead!!! That easily beats working on a Spike Lee film as a peon runner. I'm convinced that in the Obsession War, NO ONE can win two in a row.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah, once again all the questions were incredibly easy, except for 'who was spike lee's cinematographer on she's gotta have it?', which i SHOULVE known cause i just read that chapter in Spike Mike... a week ago, but couldnt remember.  the guys cinema tatoo, lee internship and scarface shirt were weak as hell.  and mac, i think you're right.  it seems like the judges were probably told to let one person win one item and the other person had to win the second one so everyone could see their third items.

MacGuffin

I agree. Buying a Criterion Hitchcock set (with films you haven't even seen) because you heard it was going OOP just so you can make some cash, is NOT collecting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah, fake JB had no good items.  i cant believe his $130 purchase was his BIG number 3.  i thought the questions were much harder on this episode and for the first time playing along there was more than 1 i didnt know.  there was actually about a handful (class, killer pimp, swords name, etc.)  i'm now also convinced that whoever loses the first debate WILL lose the 2nd debate as well.  next week is my show, which will be notable if only for a WHY KEVIN SMITH SUCKS debate in front of Jason Mewes.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02which will be notable if only for a WHY KEVIN SMITH SUCKS debate in front of Jason Mewes.
i want to compete on that episode.

make it happen time traveller!
under the paving stones.

modage

just a reminder, if anyone cares to see, ill be on tonights episode of Ultimate Film Fanatic for about 1 1/2 minutes.  so tune in to see that....

MacGuffin

HaHa. Not how I pictured him. mod-age looks like Spike Jonze.

Nice work, my friend. At least you missed on a tougher question than "Rocky & Bullwinkle."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

haha, yes my minute and a half of glory.  it was a thrill just to be on, and i'm so glad that my worst nightmare of missing the first question (or missing a question about a movie i liked) did NOT come true.  had i seen either 48 Hours or Down and Out In Beverly Hills i guess i would've gone a little farther, but i think the true fanatics made it to the final round anyways.  how did you picture me?

also, i totally forgot that we only got to see 2 of the 3 items on MY episode ! totally dispelling the rumors of the judges rigging it so we got to see them all.  (or perhaps the producers invented that rule after our episode).

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: MacGuffinAt least you missed on a tougher question than "Rocky & Bullwinkle."
That was just shameful....

I've gone memento and forgotten everyone's name on the show, so bear with me:
The debates are getting better, but the loser REALLY loses. "Yes, it sort of looked spectacular, but not really."

And that poor woman with her ticket stub... :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02how did you picture me?

Darker hair; 'bigger'. Like Brett Ratner.  :yabbse-wink:

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffinI agree. Buying a Criterion Hitchcock set (with films you haven't even seen) because you heard it was going OOP just so you can make some cash, is NOT collecting.

Quote from: modageyeah, fake JB had no good items.

Mac, I'm surprised you would believe Jason Mewes assessment of why I purchased that box set. I bought it because I didn't want to pay 200-400 bucks for high-quality Hitchcock dvds after they went OOP, not making money, saving money. If I wanted to make money, why would I have removed the plastic? The fact that I didn't see the films was supposed to hint at my obsessiveness, but it did kinda come off wrong.

Modage, I thought my Star Wars collection was pretty cool. Too bad I'm half the age of all the other contestants, so I haven't had twenty years to accumulate a bunch of blowhard signed shit. Oh yeah, I don't have much money either. The Dalorean (sp) took a while to make, so that was a good item too. The Hitchcock set, however, was pretty shitty, the producers forced me to come up with a third thing, I didn't really have anything else.

I'm surprised y'all neglected to mention my awesome debate against Bill Paxton. Modage, did I meet you while we were in LA? I don't think I did, and I haven't seen your episode yet, but I want to see it.

Oh yeah, if you need further proof that I am 'fake JB':
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.Mac, I'm surprised you would believe Jason Mewes assessment of why I purchased that box set. I bought it because I didn't want to pay 200-400 bucks for high-quality Hitchcock dvds after they went OOP, not making money, saving money. If I wanted to make money, why would I have removed the plastic?

If I remember correctly (I only saw the episode once and didn't know I would be tested on it), you said "to make a couple bucks" or something like that in your explaination. It wasn't because of Mewes's reason, you said it yourself.

Skeleton FilmWorks