A Tortellini Story - journey into food

Started by kotte, January 23, 2004, 06:58:51 PM

kotte

I´ve been thinking about something and I'm not sure what to do first.

Online editing
or
Final sound mix?

Some stills for your pleasure...

mutinyco

Do your sound mix first. It'll take longer. Consider your online edit the final step -- that is assuming you're finishing on video. If you had edited the old traditional way on a flatbed, what you'd have done is make a slop print from your work print -- a crappy reversal B&W print. You'd use that to do your sound mix to, while your negatives and work print went to the negative cutter.

Pics look nice. A bit squeezed though.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

kotte

Quote from: mutinycoDo your sound mix first. It'll take longer. Consider your online edit the final step -- that is assuming you're finishing on video. If you had edited the old traditional way on a flatbed, what you'd have done is make a slop print from your work print -- a crappy reversal B&W print. You'd use that to do your sound mix to, while your negatives and work print went to the negative cutter.

Get it. Thanks!

Quote from: mutinycoPics look nice. A bit squeezed though.

Paint's not a great... :(

mutinyco

Question about the squeezed looking pics. Is that a result of making the pics? They look 640-480 -- so is that what you digitized at, or were you at a DV ratio of 720-480?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

kotte

Ratio of 720 x 576.

To be frank...I'm not really in the know when it comes to stuff like that.

mutinyco

Quote from: kotteTo be frank...I'm not really in the know when it comes to stuff like that.

Well, here's the place to begin. The more you know about the craft, the better you'll be. You can more precisely communicate to people what you want -- and they won't be able to get things by you that you don't want. Your crew and collaborators will also respect you more, because you'll seem like you have more experience. As well, by knowing their language it'll display a sense of interest in what they're doing, and people love to feel appreciated. It's all a learning process. A bit of advice...

-St. Joe

kotte

Quote from: mutinyco
Quote from: kotteTo be frank...I'm not really in the know when it comes to stuff like that.

Well, here's the place to begin. The more you know about the craft, the better you'll be. You can more precisely communicate to people what you want -- and they won't be able to get things by you that you don't want. Your crew and collaborators will also respect you more, because you'll seem like you have more experience. As well, by knowing their language it'll display a sense of interest in what they're doing, and people love to feel appreciated. It's all a learning process. A bit of advice...

Oh yes, thanks...I was talking about compressing images.

The online edit/sound mix thing was because I've heard different things from different people.

mutinyco

Cool. One tip I find when making stills from the editing viewer is that I never save it as a jpeg. A weird compression occurs. I usually do a pict, then transfer it to jpeg in Photoshop.

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Just to follow up on the pic compression thing...when I export stills, they're horizontally squished, and I think it has something to do with how the 720x480 aspect ratio for video is based on non-square pixels. I think 720x540 is the correct adjustment, but I'll have to check up on that.

Kotte, I saw that teaser you briefly posted online the other day, and the photography was gorgeous. Kudos again on that.

mutinyco

Of course, the logical solution is just to resize it in Photoshop...

-St. Joe

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyKotte, I saw that teaser you briefly posted online the other day, and the photography was gorgeous. Kudos again on that.

Thank you, appreciate that,

kotte

People can still find the teaser ...

mogwai

looks great, kotte. despite the low budget, how many takes did you do for the dolly in? saw the behind the scenes vid as well, you're still taller than me! :evil: good luck kotte! don't forget about me. :-D

mutinyco

Having trouble viewing the teaser. Keeps stopping midway. BTW, it's a dolly not a zoom.

-St. Joe

rustinglass

Quote from: mutinycoBTW, it's a dolly not a zoom.

insert own3d picture
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica