76th Annual Academy Awards News!!

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 25, 2003, 08:26:34 AM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: matt35mmOh right.  I should have been clearer.  It won 11, which is the most awards ever won by one movie, tied with Titanic and Ben Hur, but unlike those movies, this was the only one to win in every category in which it was nominated.  (I took that from Variety)

Sorry.  I hate nitpicking like that.  I haven't had my coffee yet.  

But it's great to see it clean house like that.  However, other than seeing PJ win best director (I was torn between him and Fernando Mireilles... either one winning would have been great to see), my favorite Oscar moment wasn't even during the ceremony.  It was right before it when Keisha Castle-Hughes was introduced to Johnny Depp, whom she told EVERYBODY on the press line she wanted to meet.  You could see the starstruckness (is that a word?) in her eyes and that he was seemingly honored to meet her.  He is an actor, yeah, but it looked like he was really pleased to meet her.  You can't beat that for Oscar magic.

ProgWRX

Why does Sophia keep ignoring Scarlett on the speeches and whatnot? Was there differences between the two during filming? Is there a story on this i don tknow about? She was also absent during most of the Golden Globe thank you's  and is almost completely absent on the DVD featurettes...

:?:
-Carlos

SoNowThen

Maybe Sophia figured out that Scarlett was a hot blonde girl, and seeing how Sophia hates hot blonde girls...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatball

Quote from: ProgWRXWhy does Sophia keep ignoring Scarlett on the speeches and whatnot? Was there differences between the two during filming? Is there a story on this i don tknow about? She was also absent during most of the Golden Globe thank you's  and is almost completely absent on the DVD featurettes...

What did she do that's worth thanking? Scarlett should be thanking Sofia.

cine

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: ProgWRXWhy does Sophia keep ignoring Scarlett on the speeches and whatnot? Was there differences between the two during filming? Is there a story on this i don tknow about? She was also absent during most of the Golden Globe thank you's  and is almost completely absent on the DVD featurettes...

What did she do that's worth thanking? Scarlett should be thanking Sofia.
Yeah, remember folks: BILL MURRAY was Coppola's muse. Not her.

ProgWRX

She was still great in the movie, wasnt she? Considering the movie only has 2 main characters, it sticks out like a sore thumb when she thanks only one of them throughout all the press stuff. If it was a movie like LOTR with a lot of important players, it would be easier to understand.
-Carlos

matt35mm

Quote from: hacksparrow...my favorite Oscar moment wasn't even during the ceremony.  It was right before it when Keisha Castle-Hughes was introduced to Johnny Depp, whom she told EVERYBODY on the press line she wanted to meet.  You could see the starstruckness (is that a word?) in her eyes and that he was seemingly honored to meet her.  He is an actor, yeah, but it looked like he was really pleased to meet her.  You can't beat that for Oscar magic.
Yeah that was nice, it's nice to see that sorta thing... she was like a princess or something at a ball.  Just there having fun, soaking all that in, it's great.

That moment was pretty neat, but that Billy whatshisface is a dorkass.  You can tell that EVERYONE hates him.  He stands too close to people when he interviews them, and in some cases (like with Alec Baldwin) he leans over them.  And then he forced that one guy out of his seat so that he could sit between Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger... yeah... what a dorkass.

Slick Shoes

I saw the first half, then realized I had to get to Target before they closed in order to pick up a new tool box.

cine

Quote from: matt35mmThat moment was pretty neat, but that Billy whatshisface is a dorkass.  You can tell that EVERYONE hates him.  He stands too close to people when he interviews them, and in some cases (like with Alec Baldwin) he leans over them.
It got to the point where Baldwin actually told him to go away. "ABC - Always Be..... ?" "Get outta here" If I was Alec Baldwin and he was asking me those stupid questions, I would've done the same thing. However, additionally, if I was Alec Baldwin, I wouldn't have done The Cat in the Hat.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: CinephileHowever, additionally, if I was Alec Baldwin, I wouldn't have done The Cat in the Hat.

I wouldn't have done the Cat in the Hat either.  He's much too hairy.   :wink:

Stefen

Oh man, is it wrong that I think Fran Walsh is kind of cute?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: StefenOh man, is it wrong that I think Fran Walsh is kind of cute?

I don't think so.  Geek chicks are hot.  I find myself strangely attracted to Philippa Boyens.

You're the first person I've admitted this to. :oops:

Stefen

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: StefenOh man, is it wrong that I think Fran Walsh is kind of cute?

I don't think so.  Geek chicks are hot.  I find myself strangely attracted to Philippa Boyens.

You're the first person I've admitted this to. :oops:

I feel very honored, and a little uncomfortable. Good deal.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

artfag