Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: ebeamanIt's probably true, he may very well be the best ever.

Yep, like the credit says, Godard=Cinema.

Masculine is a fairly easy rent around here, but I'm waiting 'til it comes out on dvd. I saw the vhs tape a few and a half ago, my first Godard movie really, and couldn't make it through half an hour. Oh how times have changed!!

As to Welles, I doubt the CC is gonna be The Trial, but it would be my preferred one, as it's my fav of his. bigideas, I heard the current dvd is brutal. Confirm?

Oh, and fuck Ambersons, I wanna see a full version of his movies, which means that getting the other two mentioned would be much happier.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Masculin/Feminin is one of Godard's best and would make a great Criterion release... I have the VHS, and I think it belongs to New Yorker films... which I don't think has collaborated with Criterion at all thus far.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

tpfkabi

i got it in a bargin bin for 6 bucks or so.
it say, "digitally mastered from the best available sources for the highest quality possible." it's a LaserLight DVD. i guess what sets Criterion apart is that they actually restore things, or purchase rights to films that have been.
i think The Trial was made on a very low budget. none of the voices are synched because it was all dont post i believe. i think Welles even had to do some of the other people's voices because of cash. i haven't watched it in a really long time, i just remember thinking the transfer was crappy......but who knows, they might not have had much to go from.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: godardianMasculin/Feminin is one of Godard's best and would make a great Criterion release... I have the VHS, and I think it belongs to New Yorker films... which I don't think has collaborated with Criterion at all thus far.

OK...I'll prove that wrong: Tokyo Story was a New Yorker.

Gold Trumpet

Potential CC covers for the much rumored title, The Tin Drum? Criterion do sometimes get artists to do cover designs who are profiled enough to have their own websites and sometimes are generous enough to put up many versions of the final CC cover. This was the case before with Naked Lunch and all the covers available to see of it. But, for The Tin Drum, we are getting it before the release:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcriterioncollectionforumfrm2.showMessage?topicID=649.topic

godardian

Tin Drum is an excellent film and one of many CC titles I submitted as requests well before they were released. It couldn't have been just me... could it? Not on this film, but I also nagged them about Bresson before.

You know, when I think about it GT, New Yorker also released lots of Fassbinder on VHS. So, I was completely wrong.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: godardianTin Drum is an excellent film and one of many CC titles I submitted as requests well before they were released. It couldn't have been just me... could it? Not on this film, but I also nagged them about Bresson before.

I think The Tin Drum is pretty popular. I mean, I can rent it at my video store! (I'll be watching it shortly). I only bug Criterion about How I Won the War and if that ever gets released, I'll likely claim a personal victory as well.

MacGuffin

For those interested:

A chat on the technical aspects of The Criterion Company

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ronsreviews/announce.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Part of me would really like to get on there.

The other part of me wants to avoid the geek parade of ultra-esoteric queries about the actual manufacturing of discs, etc.

Is anyone else gonna do this chat?

Ravi

Quote from: godardian
The other part of me wants to avoid the geek parade of ultra-esoteric queries about the actual manufacturing of discs, etc.

That's the best part!

You Never Got Me Down Ray

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: godardian

That's the best part!

Yeah, you wouldn't want to abandon THIS geek parade, would ya?
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

Gold Trumpet

News is coming around that Werner Herzog may be potentially entering the collection. This is news for a making of Fitzcarraldo film, titled "Burden of Dreams", entering the collection, but there is the fact that Anchor Bay will be losing the rights to the Werner Herzog films they released in their box set so Criterion may be doubling up on Fitzcarraldo and a making of documentary.

Here's the official story: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346646

"For me, the finest flick shown at the festival by far was Les Blank's BURDEN OF DREAMS, a 1982 documentary shot in Brazil and Peru about the making of Werner Herzog's FITZCARRALDO. It's one of the three best making-of-a-movie docs ever made, along with George Hickenlooper and Fax Bahr's HEARTS OF DARKNESS (about the tortured filming of APOCALYPSE NOW) and Keith Fulton and Luis Pepe's LOST IN LA MANCHA. Blank said a Criterion-produced DVD of this film will be in stores come November or December"

SoNowThen

I thought Coppola's wife did Hearts Of Darkness...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

Quote from: SoNowThenI thought Coppola's wife did Hearts Of Darkness...

she directed it with George Hickenlooper and Fax Bahr. Hickenlooper and Bahr also share writing credits

pete

yeah but fitzcarraldo took herzog three entire years, yet burden of dream was only there for five weeks.  in the dvd commentary commentary for fitzcarraldo herzog talked about so much drama that befell the production--all the times kinski threw his tantrum, the indians who wanted to kill kinski, the lumberjack who sawed his own foot off because he was bitten by a snake, the grip who became paralyzed...etc. etc.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton