New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

modage

Quote from: mogwai on October 20, 2007, 02:54:35 AM
eyes wide shut i have to admit, ews in widescreen looks so much better than the matted 4:3 format.
YES.  i love that it brings you uncomfortably closer to the action.

Quote from: picolas on October 20, 2007, 03:04:01 AM
i'm torn..
amazon has the set for $55.  5 films PLUS the doc for 11 bucks a piece?  definitely worth a double triple quadruple dip.  it IS kubrick.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

as long as the top of people's heads are not being cut off.

i was interested in the new editions of Disney classics Robin Hood and Jungle Book, but then i've read that they've made them widescreen and at times the characters will be cut out of the top of the frame.

that 4:3 of Danny riding through the halls - just like with Elephant with it's obvious Kubrick influence - there's something about a hallway that is more symetrical with 4:3 - hallways being square.

i say this having not seen it in widescreen.

here's what someone wrote on Amazon:

The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut were 1:85 aspect ratio when released theatrically. That is, the top and bottom of the square Academy frame was masked off in projection. For home video, Kubrick disliked black bars at the top and bottom of the image (letterboxing that would conform the TV aspect ratio to the theatrical aspect ratio) so he insisted that they be released Academy (square) ratio. This decision was made by him in the early '90s before DVDs and 16x9 HD TVs, so Kubrick was thinking about VHS and laserdiscs. The masters for the first Kubrick box set were masters created for laserdisc and VHS, not DVD. Now, with 16x9 TVs more common, 16x9 enhanced DVDs in the original theatrical aspect rato make sense. In other words, the pictures were COMPOSED for widescreen for the theatrical release. The square Academy frame is the anomaly. The movies were NEVER released theatrically with a square frame. (I've read that Kubrick somehow composed for both aspect ratios when he shot the movies.)

here's a little cheaper than Amazon:

$53.95 (after the 10% taken once put you put it in your cart)

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/browsesearchtitles.jsp?offerOID=30559&S=KUBIMDB&functionmode=6
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on October 21, 2007, 12:54:44 AM
as long as the top of people's heads are not being cut off.

listen. if you look at the dvdbeaver pics of EWS you will see that there is a slight cropping on the top of some ppl's heads. but you know what? that's actually how you frame someone in close up when you have a wide frame. it's NORMAL for bits of ppl's heads to be cropped slightly, what's happening on the very top of someone's head is NOT generally important, unless its milich discussing his baldness or the FMJ helmets. if you read what you quoted you will see this dude really knows what he's talking about. this bit in particular is very easy to follow and repeats exactly what i've already said in this very same page:

Quote from: bigideas on October 21, 2007, 12:54:44 AM
In other words, the pictures were COMPOSED for widescreen for the theatrical release. The square Academy frame is the anomaly. The movies were NEVER released theatrically with a square frame. (I've read that Kubrick somehow composed for both aspect ratios when he shot the movies.)

NOTHING in that amazon quote was new information. can you honestly tell me that when you look at full metal jacket you can't see the HUGE headroom in all the shots? and not just in the headroom, you'll get bits taken from the bottom as well in some shots. that's because the balance of an image is not the same in full screen as it is in wide. maybe you always leave a hundred metres of headroom when you take ppl's pictures. but that's actually an UGLY compromise that kubrick did cos he didn't forsee the widespread availability of widescreen.

judging from this ongoing aspect ratio discussion, the widespread availability has led to neverending widespread confusion. it's a damn shame, cos ppl don't seem to realise Kubrick made it work BOTH WAYS. there is nothing wrong with the widescreen frame. he made it easier for ppl to actually not think at all about the aspect ratio and yet it's still impossible to put to rest. i think partly because in every other case of a full/wide transfer there is an obvious loser side that is all but unwatchable. that isn't the case here.

this isn't something ppl are making up like R Lee Ermey talking shit about EWS, this is a technically sound observation to say that the films work both in full screen and in wide. that was the genius of kubrick. there is not one shot i've seen that doesn't look better wide.
under the paving stones.

edison

tpfkabi

i'm really just trying to talk myself into buying it.........and i think i shall.

10 discs of Kubrick at $5 and change or less or less a piece is a good bargain.

Ravi

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ravi on October 22, 2007, 11:15:46 AM
Quote from: edison on October 21, 2007, 07:35:06 AM
Family Video has it for $45.97.

Use coupon code NEWMEM5F for $5 off.

very good!
any idea if this is a preorder discount only - meaning the price goes up tomorrow?
they've also got Barry and Lolita for 12.55 a piece.

Pozer

i just ordered it.  comes out to 41 bucks in the end with coupon code.  do it.

Ravi

Are Barry Lyndon and Lolita even remastered?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

ah, you guys are aware you're buying a clockwork orange twice right? 

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 22, 2007, 12:47:43 PM
Where were you yesterday with this?

:brickwall:

I was at home, having ordered the set without knowledge of the code.  I found the code this morning.

edison

Quote from: JG on October 22, 2007, 01:18:21 PM

what do you mean?

JG

Quote from: edison on October 22, 2007, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: JG on October 22, 2007, 01:18:21 PM

what do you mean?

Quote from: familyvideoFive feature films from master director Stanley Kubrick feature on this collection. The titles included are 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, EYES WIDE SHUT, FULL METAL JACKET, and A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Please see individual titles for synopsis details. Also included is a documentary on Kubrick titled STANLEY KUBRICK: A LIFE IN PICTURES.