Truffaut

Started by Victor, March 30, 2003, 07:53:58 PM

tpfkabi

that still isn't from Contempt.....that must be a much younger Bardot........i just got Criterion Contempt a couple weeks ago
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

Truffaut is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.  I have the Antoine Doinel collection and I love 400 Blows, Love at 20, Stolen Kisses & Bed and Board.  It's a shame that Love on the Run isn't very good.  I've seen Jules et Jim and Shoot the Piano PLayer and I liked both, but not as much as the Antoine Doinel films.  Last night I watched Day for Night and loved it.  I don't think a movie has ever made me want to make a film more than that one did.  By the end of the film I was sad that Truffaut only lived to 50 or so.

PS:  Where can I buy Day for Night.  Is it out of print?  I've only found copies on Amazon for $40+.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTRTruffaut is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.  I have the Antoine Doinel collection and I love 400 Blows, Love at 20, Stolen Kisses & Bed and Board.  It's a shame that Love on the Run isn't very good.

What did you like about Stolen Kisses? I bought the Antoine Doinel box set myself and really liked 400 Blows but after seeing Stolen Kisses was really turned off in watching the rest. The character Antoine Doinel seems completely different in Stolen Kisses and the film feels based off a genre story instead of a character first. It felt like Truffaut tagged the character "Antoine Doinel" just for the sake of it. It never was the contuining of one person's biography, but a pretty mundane genre film.

tpfkabi

i'm pretty sure i saw Day for Night on DVD at Best Buy sometime last year.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: bigideasi'm pretty sure i saw Day for Night on DVD at Best Buy sometime last year.

I saw it once, didn't have the money for it, forgot to get it later, and now BOOM, I don't see it there anymore.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

unless Best Buy gets rid of stock that doesn't sell after a certain period, i imagine it would still be at this store.

Gold Trumpet

Day for Night DVD is at Barnes and Noble in Green Bay, WI. Shaftr may be able even pick it up there.

Stefen

I got Day For Night really cheap about two years ago. Used bin bargain.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

i haven't had a chance to watch the Criterion Jules et Jim yet.
Fahrenheit 451 is starting just now on TCM.

Thebirdinsectman

Hey, "small change" is prolly my favorite Truffaut film. "Bed and Board" runs a close second to that...Julie Delpy's apartment in "Before Sunset" might be shot in the same place as "Bed and Board", too... wondering if anyone else thought so...

Anyways...I really love "Small Change" and would probably reccomend it to anyone. really great movie and it's really cheap on DVD from MGM, even though the disc is basically bare.
whip it good.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ThebirdinsectmanJulie Delpy's apartment in "Before Sunset" might be shot in the same place as "Bed and Board", too... wondering if anyone else thought so...

Actually I did.  I'm convinced at this point that it's just that it's just Paris but it seems like that would be the sort of thing Linklater would do.

Brazoliange

The 400 Blows is showing at the Dundee theatre in Omaha this Saturday/Sunday at noon for 6$
Long live the New Flesh

SoNowThen

Right now, I'm thinking the most underrated Truffaut movie is Mississippi Mermaid. For all who haven't, you need to go see it...

Any opinions on The Green Room or Two English Girls?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw the Green Room a while ago, and I really liked it, but I'd have to see it again to cite specific things about it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Garam

I've seen 400 Blows, Jules et Jim and Les Mistons.

400 Blows was my favourite. I gotta get round to seeing the rest of his Antoine Doinel films now.