This Is Why Uma Thurman Is Angry (About Tarantino & Weinstein)

Started by Mogambo, February 03, 2018, 11:05:39 AM

ElPandaRoyal

Yeah. Tarantino does not look good in this car crash story at all.

One thing that makes me mad, though: why the fuck would she attend an engagement party for a man she's mad at, hosted by a man she fucking hates? That's my main issue with all this Weinstein situation. A lot of people went through shit with that animal, and nobody said anything, and they even went to his parties? It's just sad that this is the way they seem to think show business needs to be.
Si

Drenk

We suppose they have some power but a career can just...ends...because dudes like Weinstein have the real power. And it's easy to try to be "moderate" one when you're abused.
Ascension.

Robyn

QuoteThurman says that in "Kill Bill," Tarantino had done the honors with some of the sadistic flourishes himself, spitting in her face in the scene where Michael Madsen is seen on screen doing it and choking her with a chain in the scene where a teenager named Gogo is on screen doing it

It doesn't look great, when you add this to the fact that he insisted on strangle Diane Kruger himself in Inglourious Basterds. He said he wanted to do it himself in case anything went wrong, but yeah..

Drenk

Quote from: KJ on February 03, 2018, 01:42:17 PM
QuoteThurman says that in "Kill Bill," Tarantino had done the honors with some of the sadistic flourishes himself, spitting in her face in the scene where Michael Madsen is seen on screen doing it and choking her with a chain in the scene where a teenager named Gogo is on screen doing it

It doesn't look great, when you add this to the fact that he insisted on strangle Diane Kruger himself in Inglourious Basterds. He said he wanted to do it himself in case anything went wrong, but yeah..

About that, I wish we had more context. It's mostly actors who spit in each other faces and all (Day-Lewis bruised Dano) and it does seems weird that a director would do that, but I don't remember Kruger caring about that...

Risking the life of your actress against her consent is absolutely dumb and awful.
Ascension.

Robyn

Quote from: Drenk on February 03, 2018, 01:47:22 PM
Quote from: KJ on February 03, 2018, 01:42:17 PM

About that, I wish we had more context. It's mostly actors who spit in each other faces and all (Day-Lewis bruised Dano) and it does seems weird that a director would do that, but I don't remember Kruger caring about that...

Risking the life of your actress against her consent is absolutely dumb and awful.

No, she didn't care about that as far as I know, but if you get a kick out of doing this as a director I don't think you should be doing it. When you hear about these stories and look at pictures as this, it does seem like he's often abusing his power as a director to explore he's own fetishes and fantasies. You can do that to some degree I think, but it kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Or am I oversensitive now?

jenkins

as far i can tell, QT in fact makes effort against denying culpability. i don't see evidence of him trying to distance himself from choices he's made.

QuoteQuentin and I had an enormous fight, and I accused him of trying to kill me. And he was very angry at that, I guess understandably, because he didn't feel he had tried to kill me."

Thurman is aware of his sense of guilt. i don't believe that he's fully confronted his guilt and i don't believe that it's wrong for Thurman to ask him to. he won't come out for the better, clearly, but i don't anticipate hearing excuses. i anticipate QT accepting the responsibilities of blame.

i believe there's a difference between a person making a mistake and a person being a bad person. i don't see evidence that he's a bad person, i see evidence that his personal perspective is capable of limiting his vision of himself and others, which is a normal human quality, not exclusive to him. it was an error in judgment with serious consequences. it's ugly, overall my heart goes to Thurman.

this is a quote from Call Me by Your Name: Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot. and what does the weakest spot of QT reveal about him, compared to what does the weakest spot of Weinstein reveal about him? i believe there's an enormous difference.

©brad

Quote from: jenkins on February 03, 2018, 02:59:07 PMi anticipate QT accepting the responsibilities of blame.

Don't hold your breath. He, like every other powerful guy in Hollywood, turned a blind eye to Weinstein for decades, only offering a mea culpa after the scandal broke and the egg on his face was impossible to overlook. Fuck him.

axxonn

It's a little weird that his next film was Death Proof...

Gold Trumpet

Quentin pulled a major shit move on Uma Thurman during making of Kill Bill. Showed little interest in her safety.

She was permanently injured in the process.

He argued with her because he didn't think he was in the wrong.

It took 15 years for her to get the footage she requested when she was interested in pursuing a lawsuit. It makes sense Tarantino had some hand in that (whether ignoring helping her or being a reason she didn't get it)

This definitely downgrades his overall reputation for me and goes beyond someone making a mistake.

polkablues

100% agree. Willfully and needlessly endangering cast or crew is a red line. "Getting the shot" should always be a secondary consideration to the safety of the people you're responsible for.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 05, 2018, 12:02:11 AM
This definitely downgrades his overall reputation for me and goes beyond someone making a mistake.

Rhetoric: language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.

it's nbd. i don't care that you talked that way and i have emotional responses all the time. the fire of internet rhetoric is real.

Gold Trumpet

Jenkins, I barely read your prior post and really wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the article. I'm also responding to some Tarantino fans maybe trying to rationalize this bullshit. I know many and luckily so far, they are all slamming him big time for it.

jenkins

i was only spotting the rhetoric. slam away my friends, it's your right.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: axxonn on February 04, 2018, 01:06:14 PM
It's a little weird that his next film was Death Proof...

Yeah, and it's pretty similar to LVT making Dogville right after Dancer to grapple with the Bjork stuff.