All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

SoNowThen

DGG always talks about loving Bad News Bears as a kid, but I'm not sure if it has a direct stylistic influence. Maybe the whole "honest kids' movie" thing, but I haven't seen BNB, I'm just guessing.

Fletch, though... seriously funny movies.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

i will more than likely blind buy this so i hope fans of this film are right :)

soixante

There are two Michael Ritchies -- one who made broad comedies in the 80's (Fletch, Survivors, Golden Child).  Then there's the Michael Ritchie of the 70's -- two films with Redford, Downhill Racer and The Candidate, have a low-key, almost documentary like feel that is similar to George Washington.  Also, Prime Cut, which feels similar to Badlands (and even features Sissy Spacek).  Smile mixed the documentary-style realism of his early 70's stuff with the broader comedy of his more commercial films (Bad News Bears, Semi Tough).
Music is your best entertainment value.

Ernie

Quote from: soixanteThere are two Michael Ritchies -- one who made broad comedies in the 80's (Fletch, Survivors, Golden Child).  Then there's the Michael Ritchie of the 70's -- two films with Redford, Downhill Racer and The Candidate, have a low-key, almost documentary like feel that is similar to George Washington.  Also, Prime Cut, which feels similar to Badlands (and even features Sissy Spacek).  Smile mixed the documentary-style realism of his early 70's stuff with the broader comedy of his more commercial films (Bad News Bears, Semi Tough).

Exactly...I think he's really right about Michael Ritchie too. The BNB's and Smile are fucking great. Fletch is pretty damn funny too. I'm definitley interested in seeing some of those other ones...he's a great filmmaker.

soixante

Michael Ritchie's The Candidate is a great film, perhaps the best political film made other than another Redford production, All The President's Men.  If you want to know about the nuts and bolts of a U.S. Senate campaign, check out The Candidate.  Plus, The Candidate showed how TV (both news and commercials) was beginning to effect the political process, and of course it is more true now than ever before.  What's cool about The Candidate is that it doesn't hit you over the head like an Oliver Stone film, but rather presents material in a low-key, matter of fact way and lets mature adults sort out the meaning for themselves.  Which brings us to David Gordon Green -- while PTA has the 70's Scorsese-Altman-Demme thing down to a T, Green is inspired by Malick and other 70's filmmakers who made quiet, thoughtful movies (example:  Fat City by John Huston or Five Easy Pieces by Bob Rafelson).  No bombastic, John Williams symphonic scores or acton set-pieces every 10 minutes, just slow, deliberate, watchful, contemplative movies about the human experience, with things unfolding in an unstressed way.

Ernie

Quote from: soixanteMichael Ritchie's The Candidate is a great film, perhaps the best political film made other than another Redford production, All The President's Men.  If you want to know about the nuts and bolts of a U.S. Senate campaign, check out The Candidate.  Plus, The Candidate showed how TV (both news and commercials) was beginning to effect the political process, and of course it is more true now than ever before.  What's cool about The Candidate is that it doesn't hit you over the head like an Oliver Stone film, but rather presents material in a low-key, matter of fact way and lets mature adults sort out the meaning for themselves.  Which brings us to David Gordon Green -- while PTA has the 70's Scorsese-Altman-Demme thing down to a T, Green is inspired by Malick and other 70's filmmakers who made quiet, thoughtful movies (example:  Fat City by John Huston or Five Easy Pieces by Bob Rafelson).  No bombastic, John Williams symphonic scores or acton set-pieces every 10 minutes, just slow, deliberate, watchful, contemplative movies about the human experience, with things unfolding in an unstressed way.

Could you imagine how to combine an influence of PTA, DGG, Altman and Scorsese? It's impossible to do and they are probably my three main influences...what will my films be like?

ono

Quote from: ebeamanCould you imagine how to combine an influence of PTA, DGG, Altman and Scorsese? It's impossible to do and they are probably my three main influences...what will my films be like?
Simple.  Just make a film that's way too long for its own good (kidding--sort of), the characters are either lovable, hatable, or too complex to pinpoint, the colors are beautiful but washed out, the dialogue is crappy but "crappy in a good way", everyone talks over everyone else "just like in real life" and everyone either dies at the end or is in jail.  ;)

soixante

Scorsese, Altman, PTA, DGG -- these are all great influences.  The reason I love PTA and Quentin Tarantino is that they've absorbed all the best influences from the 70's, and then made potent use of them.  

When I look at Scorsese, I see some Godard, some Cassavetes, a pinch of Italian Neorealism, some Truffaut, and God knows what else.  Scorsese and PTA are both film scholars, and they have plenty of influences to inspire them (same with Paul Schrader).

Altman has made so many movies, he has been able to really experiment and do different things.  Compare the sprawling, satiric quality of Nashville with the more quiet, austere feeling of Thieves Like Us -- it's amazing the same director made both films.  Altman's films are very quiet, and slow, and require a great deal of patience to appreciate, but they are worth the effort.

Watching 70's movies today, I am struck mostly by how quiet they are.  They don't crank up the score and the sound effects, they don't jab you in the ribs with loud music cues or dumb gags, they simply allow you to experience a well-told story without a lot of needless sound and fury.  DGG seems to be returning to this aesthetic.

Sadly, the 70's films that people remember the most and that proved the most influential -- Network, Jaws, Star Wars, Halloween, etc. -- were not really the most artistic.  Network was too obvious, with its characters giving long speeches -- it was the precursor to the bombast of Oliver Stone and Spike Lee.

Ernie

I've always planned on making very different films. Like I wanna make a low budget movie with no real actors, later in my career I wanna make a huge blockbuster thriller starring Tom Cruise...then I always wanna be able to go back and make that low budget movie again. And I never wanna have a cast of ALL STARS. DGG's always talking about how brilliant and fun it is to put big name stars w/ people that have never seen a film camera before and how their really can be chemistry there and it can be really fucking fun to do. That's what I wanna do w/ just about every film I do. I'm not going to be a dick and say that I never wanna make a big film w/ explosions and stunts...I always want to be honest though and as I said, I never want to limit myself to those kind of films AND I want to always have some little no-names in my cast. I'm pretty much quoting DGG on everything I've said here. He said not to expect all of his films to be like his first two and that Drew Barrymore is going to be in one of his films and that he loves George Clooney...I think that is so cool. That is a guy who truly loves film...he loves it all, and he wants to make it all...that's so inspiring.

Anyway, you guys gotta fucking see this. It's an AWESOME albeit short article about Undertow, DGG's next film! They even have a couple screencaps of it!!! Check it out if you haven't come across it yet! It looks and sounds beautiful! Who would have thought he'd make a thriller? He wasn't kidding when he said he was always going to be branching out. Here's the link...

http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_030516ua.html

Also, check this one out to hear him talk about PDL and how badly he wants to see it AND this really weird, really cool sci-fi film idea he has in mind!!! He actually talks about all that at the end of the interview but read the whole thing anyway, it's really really cool. I guess he was planning on doing this sci-fi thing even before All the Real Girls...weird stuff. Maybe the script is already finished! It's really cool for him to talk about PTA like that...two geniuses have connected! Thank god for them, they are taking chances and saving film. Too bad he gives credit to Todd Solondz, that's the first time I've ever completely disagreed with him. Anyway, let me stop my rambling and shut up and give you the link...read this whole thing too. I hope at least some of you guys care as much about all this as I do or I'm going to look really stupid.

http://indyweek.com/durham/2001-03-21/ae3.html

children with angels

"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ernie

Fuck yes!!! Here are the AWESOME specs straight from amazon for those that care...

-commentary by director and cast
-theatrical trailer(s)
-"improv and ensemble:the evolution of a film"
-deleted scenes
-widescreen and anamorphic format

God, can you believe that? Seriously, did anybody else just have an orgasm? I guess DGG must know he has some fans out there. Thank god it has a commentary...it's a heavenly dream for me to hear Zooey Deschanel talk for 100 minutes and DGG and Paul Schneider did awesome on the GW commentary.

One thing though, what the hell does anamorphic mean? Sounds like some X-men type thing or something.

Anyway, hope this hasn't already been posted! Hope that people care, lol.

SoNowThen

Happy SoNowThen. Very very happy. Thanks for the good news, Ebs.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanOne thing though, what the hell does anamorphic mean?

Second post:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1946
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

EB, you wanna have like a million babies with DGG or what? jus kidins

yeah, I'm one of the ones who Blind Bought GW cuz of you and others and I guess I have to watch it a second time like you said. I watched about a quarter of it with a few others and they all hated it. and they're not mainstreamers in particular, they loved PDL and stuff like that, they just found it incredibly boring. I however can't say I hated it, I thought it looked great and all, but I couldn't get into the story. It felt like a long poem, which is nice, but the story element has to be there for me and I felt the coming of age part of it lacked big time. that's the most important chunk of a movie I think, and while something can LOOK beautiful, it still has to hook me and keep me interested. it took me three nights to finish GW cuz I kept falling asleep, y'know.
however, the images do inspire. I found myself outside shooting everything from the skyline, birds and overcast clouds from my rooftop to a dirty old white cat drinking sewer water.
I'll give it as a whole another whirl though. I did spend 35 bucks on it.
but don't feel bad for me cuz I will be Blind Buying ATRG as well.

tpfkabi

in the Charlie Rose interview on GW he mentions 3 movie scripts he was working on.
1. a love story = is the ATRG? (i haven't seen it)
2. a sci-fi flick
3. a western where 3 guys are trying to kill a horse
(i think that is right)

so how is ATRG compared to GW? same type of style?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.