How did "Magnolia" not get a Best Picture nod

Started by kassius, January 10, 2004, 03:36:10 PM

Gamblour.

Quote from: ewardkeep three kings but get rid of fight club

I raise you a dollar.
WWPTAD?

Alethia

Quote from: Phow bout we get the fuck over lists.

fair enough.

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhorenI raise you a dollar.

:wink:

soixante

Someone misquoted me earlier.  My top 5 for 1999 is:

Go
Magnolia
Fight Club
American Beauty
Being John Malkovich

My best actress is Nicole Kidman in Eyes Wide Shut and my best actor is Brad Pitt in Fight Club, neither of whom was nominated.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, Topsy Turvy, Eyes Wide Shut, Election and Boys Don't Cry round out my top 10.  I enjoyed The Limey and The Matrix quite a bit, but they just missed the cut.

I think it's useful to make lists -- it forces you to think, it helps sort out a chaotic universe.  It is useful to the honing of one's aesthetic perceptions to figure out why Fight Club is better than American Beauty, and why American Beauty is better than Being John Malkovich, etc.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Comte de Saint Germain

Quote from: soixanteI think it's useful to make lists -- it forces you to think, it helps sort out a chaotic universe. It is useful to the honing of one's aesthetic perceptions to figure out why Fight Club is better than American Beauty, and why American Beauty is better than Being John Malkovich, etc.

I'm not seeing list making translate into any real discussions, though. The usual is a thread will be made and everyone will make lists and if any arguments sip through the cracks, it goes to a maximum of 3 sentences of explanation at best for someone posting. Most people make lists here, but also understand its detriment to starting actual discussion.
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

Pubrick

Quote from: soixanteI think it's useful to make lists -- it forces you to think, it helps sort out a chaotic universe.  It is useful to the honing of one's aesthetic perceptions to figure out why Fight Club is better than American Beauty, and why American Beauty is better than Being John Malkovich, etc.
actually no, it whittles everything down to an insignificant number. i'm talking about when ppl list title after title, with no further explanation or attempt at insightful analysis.

there is no way to tell why sumone chose one film over another, i might choose Bring It On over Almost Famous because i think kirsten dunst is really hot. it's meaningless and perpetuates lack of insight. it implies it is enuff to merely rank a film, or to assign a value to it, to qualify as an acceptable form of review. it isn't acceptable, at best it is a curious novelty that reveals more about someones obssessive compulsions, and at worst it is completely, utterly, sickeningly irrelevant.
under the paving stones.

pete

lists, no matter how well-written and crafted (or poorly), are still just rental suggestions.  so obviously they're insignificant numbers.  all discussions here on this site pertaining to movies are just that--rental/ theater recommendations.   so stop being angry over lists.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

Quote from: Phow bout we get the fuck over lists.

:cry:

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pthere is no way to tell why sumone chose one film over another, i might choose Bring It On over Almost Famous because i think kirsten dunst is really hot. it's meaningless and perpetuates lack of insight.

Actually, I don't think that's all that bad. When Godard was a critic, he used to rank movies based on how good the lead actress looked. For a young man, that might be the most honest and sensible way of approaching these things...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: peteso stop being angry over lists.
i can be angry over whatever the fuck i want, like ur obnoxious signature banner.

Quote from: SoNowThenActually, I don't think that's all that bad. When Godard was a critic, he used to rank movies based on how good the lead actress looked. For a young man, that might be the most honest and sensible way of approaching these things...
yeah but u wouldn't know that just form looking at my list would u. i think i made a clear argument, if u make lists don't assume ur doing anything that is even slightly relevant EVEN AS A RENTAL LIST. they don't really mean anything to anyone but urself. and anyone who is still into them after 6 months on the interweb, is seriously lacking in mental development.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

right right
I just wanted to use this obscure piece of knowledge I had to make a cute remark...

I'm a list fan, but only to a point. What I like about lists is looking at somebody else's and going "love that one too, and that one, and that one, and... hmmm, never heard of that one", and you check it out because of the good company it keeps. Y'know what I mean?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm a list fan, but only to a point. What I like about lists is looking at somebody else's and going "love that one too, and that one, and that one, and... hmmm, never heard of that one", and you check it out because of the good company it keeps. Y'know what I mean?
sure i can agree with that. especially top ten lists of the year. those are fine,. but don't u think it's ridiculous when ppl start making lists in every thread just cos they hav no real insight to offer other than.. hmm, LIST!

i just wish ppl would get over that. it's chronically overused here.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

I agree. Even I've been guilty of this in the past (and present). They're tempting little sluts, those lists...

pete

hahahaha.

Quote from: P
i can be angry over whatever the fuck i want, like ur obnoxious signature banner.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

Quote from: petehahahaha.

Quote from: P

"Maybe you've thought about calling before. You can help a child for only 26 cents a day. Think of the difference you could make! You know what I think it is? You just forgot the number. So, here it is again."