Friends (spoilers page 2 onwards, probably)

Started by Banky, May 06, 2004, 06:59:17 PM

modage

Quote from: OnomatopitaThat's New York for you.
i just wanted to say that this is possibly the LEAST convincing new york setting, maybe EVER.

i watched friends for a season or two in the middle right before rachel and ross got together and stopped watching when they broke up cause it pissed me off.  i watched a handful of episodes randomly since then, including the last one, and came to the conclusion that really its probably a good sitcom.  but thats not saying much, because on the whole sitcoms are pretty terrible.  its not a groundbreaking sitcom, its just a consistently pretty good one.  (but thats not saying much.)

Quote from: RaviI didn't like that they gave Rachel a baby, because that isn't a particularly interesting way to inject emotion into a show these days.  In the past two years or so I didn't care if I missed an episode.
yeah!  this is what i wanted to ask about.  where the fuck was rachel and ross's baby during that finale?!?!  like, didnt she remember to pack it when she was going to move to paris?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

A World Apart

Rachel said, i think, at some point in time during the last 15 minutes of the show, that emma was flying with her mother over to paris. They even made a joke about how it'd be "poor Rachel's mom having to deal with emma" then rachel said "my mom ranting about the Atkins diet the whole time..poor emma"  It was something like that.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

matt35mm

Quote from: ranemaka13I think the last line is what made it for me.

What was the last line?  My recorded tape cut out just before that.

Sleuth

Quote from: matt35mm

"IT WAS ALL A DREAM"
I like to hug dogs

cine

"That's what friends are for!"

Sleuth

But seriously, one of them said

"WE TRULY ARE THE BEST OF F'R'I'E'N'D'S" and then that song came on
I like to hug dogs

The Perineum Falcon

I thought it was Chandler asking where they were going to get coffee....

Not really earth shattering, but I thought it was a nice line.  :yabbse-undecided:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ravi

Bee Eff Eff, biatch!

One of them says, "Let's go get some coffee" and Chandler says, "Where?"

cine

Quote from: RaviOne of them says, "Let's go get some coffee" and Chandler says, "Where?"
I turned on the show a minute before that. There was an overrun, which is why I actually caught the show to begin with!  :)

Banky

i really like how this show survived the whole reality kick and was still consistanly popular

El Duderino

they made fun of Ross and Rachel's last scene on SNL, except it was Dubya and Rumsfeld. it was great
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ravi

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0510041friends1.html

A Failing Grade For "Friends"

Sitcom was trashed in confidential 1994 NBC research report

MAY 12--Though "Friends" would prove to be a lucrative ratings powerhouse, the sitcom's pilot received a failing grade and was described as "not very entertaining, clever, or original," according to an internal NBC research report obtained by The Smoking Gun. Months before the program's debut, "Friends" was shown to test audiences that were "not very favorable" to the show or its six main characters, according to the May 1994 report (a copy of which you'll find below). In fact, the pilot performance was graded "weak" and scored a paltry 41 out of 100. By comparison, "ER" scored a 91, though "Seinfeld" famously also earned a "weak" rating. While Courteney Cox's Monica fared best with test audience members, her appeal was "well below desirable levels for a lead." The characters portrayed by Lisa Kudrow and Matthew Perry had "marginal appeal," and "Rachel, Ross, and Joey scored even lower." A particularly stinging rebuke was delivered by adults 35 and over, who felt "this group did not really care about each other the way real friends would. They found the characters smug, superficial, and self-absorbed." TSG couldn't stand the show, so the brutal research analysis sounded pretty accurate to us--both then and now. However, considering the show's spectacular success during its 10-year run, the NBC report is merely an odd footnote to the "Friends" success story. (4 pages)

MacGuffin

Schwimmer prepares to 'Run'

David Schwimmer is moving from "Friends" to the director's chair.

The actor is set to helm the indie feature "Run, Fat Boy, Run" for Gold Circle Films. Penned by actor-scribe Michael Ian Black, the project centers on a charming but oblivious overweight guy who leaves his fiancee on their wedding day only to discover years later that he really loves her. To win her back, he must finish the New York marathon while making her realize that her new handsome, wealthy fiance is the wrong guy for her.

Beech Films' Alexa Fogel and Joseph Infantolino will produce along with Gold Circle topper Paul Brooks. The filmmakers are currently on the search for the lead actor with production planned to start in the spring in New York City.

"I've been waiting for the right feature comedy to direct and am so happy to have found 'Run, Fat Boy, Run,' " Schwimmer said. "Michael's script was simply too funny and smart to put down."

It's not the first foray into directing for Schwimmer. He helmed 10 episodes of "Friends" and is in line to direct multiple episodes of its spinoff, "Joey," starring Matt LeBlanc. He also is executive producing and directing the pilot "Nearly Nirvana" for NBC.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

'Comeback' show for Friends star.

Friends actress Lisa Kudrow is to play the lead role in a new series about a one-time sitcom star, according to the Hollywood reporter.
Thirteen episodes of Comeback have been commissioned by cable channel HBO, home of hits such as Sex And The City.

Kudrow, who played Phoebe in Friends, co-wrote the pilot episode and will also act as executive producer.

HBO has been looking for its next big comedy hit since Sex And The City drew to a close in the US in February.

Comeback is the first 30-minute comedy series that the channel has picked up since the Sex And The City drew to the end of its six-year-run.

Friends ended its 10-year run on the NBC network in May, and attentions have turned to which projects its six individual stars would pursue.

Quotenew series about a one-time sitcom star

Am I the only one who thinks they stole this idea from Larry David?

grand theft sparrow

Let's hope that "Seinfeld curse" rubbed off.