Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Reel

Quote from: tpfkabi on October 28, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
You got the guy from Twin Peaks in full leather running around shooting the walls while a guy Roach is running around like crazy in between the walls. Hilarious. I don't see how anyone could even come up with a story like that.

Yeah, the redheaded bitch with the eyepatch is in it, too. Wes Craven must've picked up on their chemistry in the show and liked it. I used to really get a kick out of that movie because it was funny and scary. I'm probably way too familiar with the plot to enjoy it as much now, but I remember it making great use of the suspense. Definitely pick it up if you can, there's a lot of good blue language in it. Though I'm sure AMC showed most of the violence, did they show the guy eating the guy? That was gross.

ghostboy, I recently watched Poltergeist 1 & 2. 1 is of course a classic, but I liked 2 a lot more than I expected. It was a little weak in plot, but oh well. I remember 3 being really cheesy but kinda scary, I'll watch it on your recommendation. Excorcist 2 is widely known as a shitty movie, but it has an

Ghostboy

Quote from: Reelist on October 29, 2011, 08:32:25 AM
Excorcist 2 is widely known as a shitty movie, but it has an

Whoa, you ain't kidding.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Ghostboy on October 29, 2011, 03:59:20 PM
Excorcist 2 is widely known as a shitty movie, but it has an

Whoa, you ain't kidding.

TA TA TA. TA TA TA TA.

tpfkabi

You got the guy from Twin Peaks in full leather running around shooting the walls while a guy Roach is running around like crazy in between the walls. Hilarious. I don't see how anyone could even come up with a story like that.

Yeah, the redheaded bitch with the eyepatch is in it, too. Wes Craven must've picked up on their chemistry in the show and liked it. I used to really get a kick out of that movie because it was funny and scary. I'm probably way too familiar with the plot to enjoy it as much now, but I remember it making great use of the suspense. Definitely pick it up if you can, there's a lot of good blue language in it. Though I'm sure AMC showed most of the violence, did they show the guy eating the guy? That was gross.

ghostboy, I recently watched Poltergeist 1 & 2. 1 is of course a classic, but I liked 2 a lot more than I expected. It was a little weak in plot, but oh well. I remember 3 being really cheesy but kinda scary, I'll watch it on your recommendation. Excorcist 2 is widely known as a shitty movie, but it has an
I didn't even think about her being his wife in Twin Peaks, too. ha.
I don't remember the guy eating a guy. I would have to see it again.
Poltergeist seems to be one of the most played cable movies of all time. I have seen that so many times. Every time I see the moving trailer I think of PDL. The kiss with the bright lights in the closet seems like PTA, but I guess it was really done in The Terminal, too.

Been a long time since I saw 2 or 3 on TV. The first time I saw Night of the Hunter I thought of the preacher from 2. I kinda remember 3 being in an apartment building with a lot of mirrors and smoke.

The 2 I'm kinda wanting to see again is Halloween 2. For some reason AMC is playing just about every Halloween except this one. At least you still got Jamie Lee in that one. I wish they would do a special DVD release for 2, as I've always wanted to see it unedited.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

Quote from: tpfkabi on October 29, 2011, 09:22:17 PM
The 2 I'm kinda wanting to see again is Halloween 2. For some reason AMC is playing just about every Halloween except this one. At least you still got Jamie Lee in that one. I wish they would do a special DVD release for 2, as I've always wanted to see it unedited.

They love playing that 3,4, and 5, don't they? Probably the worst installments in the franchise. 2 is a good horror sequel because it picks up right where they left off and you don't have to get used to a dumb new main character. If I'm not mistaken I think there's like a director's cut with all sorts of extra shit in it, too. I used to like 2 better than 1 but that was because I was like 12 and it was a lot gorier. I'm really looking forward to watching the only good Halloween though, Halloween.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on October 30, 2011, 02:02:24 PM
Quote from: tpfkabi on October 29, 2011, 09:22:17 PM

They love playing that 3,4, and 5, don't they? Probably the worst installments in the franchise. 2 is a good horror sequel because it picks up right where they left off and you don't have to get used to a dumb new main character. If I'm not mistaken I think there's like a director's cut with all sorts of extra shit in it, too. I used to like 2 better than 1 but that was because I was like 12 and it was a lot gorier. I'm really looking forward to watching the only good Halloween though, Halloween.

Biography showed a Making of Halloween today, so I was reading up on the original and 2. I don't  understand why they don't put out a SE with the theatrical and TV cuts. From what I understand, Carpenter filmed more scenes during the time of 2 to add to the TV version of Halloween. He also was brought in to shoot scenes for 2 because the studio was unhappy with the other director's version, so I guess that 2 might have 3 unique versions. The 2 DVD has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen. I also saw that 2 got a Blu-Ray release recently that upset fans because they took the original producer's name off.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Reelist on October 30, 2011, 02:02:24 PM
They love playing that 3,4, and 5, don't they? Probably the worst installments in the franchise

No way.
The third Halloween is the best of the sequels.  People ignore it because there's no Michael Meyers, but it's so great.  Way better than the repetitive part 2.

And while 4 is not very good, it's still got the classic Halloween feel that's missing from shit like H20 and Resurrection (which try to "freshen up" the series).  It's ridiculously fun.

5 is shit, but not as bad as 6.

socketlevel

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 27, 2011, 02:11:17 PM

The Burning
Tony Maylam 1981

This is a really fun, classic slasher.  A Nightmare on Elm Street borrowed from this movie.  An implied pedophile is tricked by some kids and he freaks out and catches himself on fire only to come back years later to get revenge on all of them.
Lots of bad dialog, teen sex, and people getting murdered.  Clean, stupid fun.

That movie looks kinda interesting.

AMC Fear Fest showed The People Under the Stairs. I had never heard of this movie. It was so bizarre and funny at times. I think I will pick up the DVD if I see it. You got the guy from Twin Peaks in full leather running around shooting the walls while a guy Roach is running around like crazy in between the walls. Hilarious. I don't see how anyone could even come up with a story like that.

the best part is his partner played his wife on twin peaks as well. People under the stairs was a go to awesome 80s horror movie from my childhood.
the one last hit that spent you...

tpfkabi

Quote from: walrus, the on August 29, 2011, 11:31:10 PM
Last year, in honor of Halloween, I embarked on watching 31 Horror Films.  The theme was horror films that had been remade, but the list was comprised of the originals.  For the most part, they're better.  Though in the case of The Fly or The Thing, both are great in their own ways.  I can post the list I watched if anyone is interested.  I mostly used my own DVD's staggered with Netflix releases and Watch Instantly material.

This October, my plan is to do the sequel to the marathon.  I'm going to watch 31 Number Two's (yes, I recognize the inherent poop joke.)  I realize it's only going to be September soon, but I need some help putting a list together from anyone who can help either add to my list or recommend I avoid any or make sure not to miss. 

So far, I have two rules:

#1: No direct to DVD sequels, I want to see movies that were intended for the mass public to go to a theater and potentially be wowed by (exception to this rule: Cabin Fever 2.  I loved House of the Devil and haven't seen this, and I've been hearing it's great. I don't think it had a theatrical release.  If you can justify any direct to DVD sequels to me, they will be considered)
#2: It has to end in #2.  The gimmick of this whole ordeal is that striking sound of 2, the implication of continuation from the first, not like a new story as in Return of, Revenge of, or something like I STILL Know What You Did Last Summer)

Sequel Pool
(your help in culling this list is much appreciated)

Hills Have Eyes 2
Evil Dead 2
Troll 2
Friday the 13th 2
Halloween 2
Psycho 2
Exorcist 2
Poltergeist 2
Leprechaun 2
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Sleepaway Camp 2
Nightmare On Elm Street 2
Paranormal Activity 2
Pumpkinhead 2
Ghoulies 2
Critters 2
Puppet Master 2
Hellraiser 2
Species 2
The Fly 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Candyman 2
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2
Relic 2
Mimic 2
Scream 2
Omen 2
House 2
It's Alive 2
Hatchet 2
Hostel 2
Saw 2
Child's Play 2
Children of the Corn 2
REC 2
Howling 2
Basket Case 2
Cabin Fever 2
Jaws 2
C.H.U.D. 2
Ring 2
Grudge 2
Blair Witch Project 2
Final Destination 2

(some of these may be direct to DVD sequels that have been recommended but I'm otherwise iffy on and need help deciding and/or I'm not sure if they were direct to DVD or not)

Suggestions are welcome, then by the end of September, I'll arrange it into the top 31 and will prepare for the ride of my life.  I encourage all who have the constitutional fortitude to join me.

So...do you go through with it?

squints

I'm kind of sick of zombies, like everyone else, but i thought this little thing that this guy over at reddit threw together (Showing the Zombie Apocalypse through social media and the web) was pretty entertaining.
Start on Day 1, 2012 and go up.

http://www.reddit.com/user/Vidzilla/submitted/
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

children with angels

Quote from: squints on January 15, 2012, 04:59:21 PM
I'm kind of sick of zombies, like everyone else, but i thought this little thing that this guy over at reddit threw together (Showing the Zombie Apocalypse through social media and the web) was pretty entertaining.
Start on Day 1, 2012 and go up.

http://www.reddit.com/user/Vidzilla/submitted/

Nice stuff. Not seen anything in quite that style before - good, net-specific-artform shit.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

polkablues

Looking over my Netflix Instant viewing history, I watched a crapload of horror movies over the last couple months.

Red State
I respect Kevin Smith's new-found ability to move the camera, and I like how the movie constantly undercuts our expectations, but when you put Kevin Smith dialogue into a more realistic story-world, it really drives home how mannered and awkward it actually is.  
C

2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams
Just awful. No redeeming value whatsoever, unless you count the guy who played Jar-Jar Binks continuing his lifelong quest to bring back the minstrel show.  
F

The Shrine
A nice entry in the sub-genre of the "Eastern Europe is scary" horror film. Well-shot, some good twists and turns, but not particularly memorable overall.  
B-

Insidious
A bunch of very effective moments that don't add up to an effective movie. The stuff that works works REALLY well, though.  
C+

Donkey Punch
Pleasantly surprised. Believable characters who always acted consistently with how they were portrayed. I love horror movies that derive from normal people making bad decisions that compound until they turn into monsters.  
A-

The Ward
John Carpenter ticks all the boxes, but continues to leave me unimpressed. Amber Heard has an intensity that makes her perfect for these sort of roles, though.  
B

Midnight Movie
CHUD had been giving this flick blowjobs for so long, I was expecting something great. It was not great. It was actually about as rote and forgettable as you can get.  
D

Hatchet
Another movie that was a victim of its own hype. Solid, but nothing special. And no matter how hard Adam Green tries to convince me that Victor Crowley is the next great iconic slasher, he's just not.  
C+

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
A fun movie. Worth seeing, but doesn't quite live up to the potential of its premise. Taylor Labine and Alan Tudyk were casting coups; they do everything they can to elevate the material.  
B

Creep
Franka Potente trapped in the London Underground overnight with a seemingly supernatural killer. Well-made, and Potente's great in it, but it suffers from a bad case of Omnipotent Killer Syndrome.  To its credit, it's one of the rare films of its type that doesn't become less scary when you actually get to see the villain.  
B+

Kill Theory
Speaking of Omnipotent Killer Syndrome, this is the worst offender I've ever seen. Overall, it's a decent movie with a good cast (including Agnes Bruckner, who's so much better than this sort of thing), but there are only so many times that a killer can magically know exactly who's going to be where when before I get annoyed with the movie.  
C

Frozen
Adam Green almost redeems himself from Hatchet with this one, which is genuinely chilling (pun not intended but neither retracted). A good example of a horror film that doesn't rely on its characters making decisions that no real person would make.  
A-

Severance
Probably the most fun I've had of any film on this list. It plays with the conventions of the slasher flick while managing to set an example for them. It manages to straddle the line of being self-reflexive without being an ironic wank.  
A

High Lane
Starts out well, like the first half of The Descent but with mountain-climbing instead of cave-diving, but shits the bed when it turns into Wrong Turn in the second half. Also, Netflix only had it dubbed (horribly) in English rather than subtitled.  
C+

Blood Creek
Inexplicable. I'm not even sure if I liked it or not. It was like I was watching the whole movie with my head cocked to the side, perpetually thinking, "Okay, but..." I doubt Henry Cavill or Michael Fassbender bother to keep this on their resumes.  
???

Dead Snow
Fun, but ultimately inconsequential. Not a lot to say about it.  Your mileage may vary, depending on how much the phrase "Nazi Zombies" excites you.  
B-

The Hole
I was surprised by how good this actually was. It plays some tricks very effectively with the narrative, and Thora Birch genuinely impressed me playing a fairly complex role.  
A
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

damn, you really do watch a shit ton of horror. I've still been meaning to watch a couple you suggested over last Halloween. Thanks, though, it's really hard these days to know whats good in this genre.

I've been laying off the horror lately, maybe its something about the winter months where I don't feel like I can stomach it as much, but I've been loving the Ti West. See The Innkeepers, that is all.

polkablues

Of the movies I've posted about since October, I strongly recommend Triangle, The Wild Hunt, Severance, Donkey Punch, and The Hole.  If you get ahold of those five (and maybe Frozen or Eden Lake to make an even number), you've got a horror marathon worth having.

I'll have to check out The Innkeepers.  I did like House of the Devil quite a bit.

polkablues

Saw The Innkeepers, dug it, really enjoying the whole Ti West experience.  90% buildup, 10% payoff is a tough ratio to pull off, but damned if he hasn't done it twice in a row.  And this one has the added benefit of some very likeable, humorous characters.

Also watched Kill List, which will be on my Xixax Awards ballot for the year.  It's interesting reading the mixed critical reaction to it, because it's an aggressively ambiguous film, and some people seem to be experiencing some powerful knee-jerking against that, but the movie is so rich and densely layered that I've spent the whole week since I watched it puzzling out theories in my mind.  It's not a particularly "horrific" film, for the most part, but similar to Drive, it's peppered with moments of violence that catch you entirely off-guard.  It's a film that doesn't let the audience off the hook by cutting away when it's expected to.  Also, the score is absolutely bonkers, in the best possible way.

Finally, Triangle is now available on Netflix Instant, so there are no more excuses!  Everyone watch the shit out of it, then get back to me.