Chest's Art

Started by Chest Rockwell, October 27, 2004, 07:43:01 PM

Chest Rockwell

I'm in an IB (International Baccalaureate) art class, so I figured it might be fun to post the art I produce throughout the year. Leave comments or whatever. I'm not going to explain anything like the "meaning."

First piece I turned in was supposed to be a "self-portrait." I call it Ear and Brain.

Second piece was what we call an artist-based piece, meaning we had to pick an artist and then do a picture in the style of that artist. I chose Willem de Kooning. I called it Venus.

Third piece was cultural-based, similar to the artist-based except that we had to pick as culture and then base a piece off the general style of the culture at whatever time period. I decided to do a piece in the style of art from Post-WWI Germany. I call it Weapons of Mass Destruction. It is my least favorite piece this year, but I figured that since I have to use all of my pieces for my art show at the end of the year, I might as well use them all here.

Fourth piece was supposed to be based off some current social issue. I decided to do mine on the very broad category of censorship. This is my second to least favorite, and it took me the longest. It's a wire sculpture. I call it David. Oh, and sorry about the crappiness of the picture.

Fifth piece was supposed to be autobiographical, and yet not show any piece of my body. I haven't really titled it. Any suggestions for a title?

Sixth and last piece I've completed was a Random Cards piece. We basically had to pick a card from five separate stacks indicating 1) a mood, 2) a technique, 3) a medium, 4) an element of art, 5) a principle of art. I was stuck with 1) excitement, 2) non-objective, 3) tempera, 4) texture, 5) proportion/scale. Yet again I have not found a title.

That's all I've done thus far. If this doesn't turn out to be a big failure like I'm 70% sure it will then I'll probably post more as I go along.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Chest RockwellThis is my second to least favorite, and it took me the longest. It's a wire sculpture.
That's probably my favorite one, actually... it's the most alive of any of the pieces, besides the De Kooning painting maybe. He's like a swirling mass of energy. While it's rough around the edges and not perfectly horizontal, I think it really works. And it's a fast sculpture. Constantin Brancusi's sculpture has been described as "fast"...

versions of "Bird in Space"

Pedro

When I go to xixax I hardly ever look at The Art Gallery section.  Today, for whatever reason, I did.  In it I saw some of Chest's art.  I call it Good.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Chest RockwellThis is my second to least favorite, and it took me the longest. It's a wire sculpture.
That's probably my favorite one, actually... it's the most alive of any of the pieces, besides the De Kooning painting maybe. He's like a swirling mass of energy. While it's rough around the edges and not perfectly horizontal, I think it really works. And it's a fast sculpture.
Thanks. I like it (I don't necessarily dislike any of my pieces), but it was the first sculpture I've ever made and also the first wire sculpture, so I was learning along the way and as a result it is not entirely as effective as it could be. I'd like to remake it, though, because I still do like the idea and it in general.

Ghostboy

I agree with JB -- David is easily the most evocative of all your work posted so far -- you look at it and have an instant reaction. Also, the other ones look very much like they are following a theme or a concept (i.e. imitating De Kooning). Perhaps your disatsifaction with it is a sign of its artistic potency.

NEON MERCURY

good work man. 8)

QuoteAny suggestions for a title?

um., how about "i sliced my chest open and ...splat!!"