Six Feet Under is SIX FEET UNDER and infested with spoilers!

Started by Sigur Rós, April 27, 2003, 01:16:38 PM

godardian

Lisa dead... I knew that "guest star" thing couldn't go on forever. I thought maybe knowing for sure would bring Nate some closure, at least. Apparently not.

Speaking of guest stars, I always find it insipid when people go on about celebrities they think are gorgeous, but Justin Theroux.... wow. He and Rachel Griffiths definitely make, to my mind, what PTA would call a "handsome couple." I hate to say it, but at this point, I'd like to see Nate get her platonic sympathy and tending to, and this Justin Theroux neighbor get the romantic attentions. A personal bias. I'm sure it'll be Nate. They're meant to be, in the show's hermetic world.

I loved what they did with Claire's baby. Maybe a little New-Agey, but it was good to acknowledge abortion's not an easy thing that people who have them take lightly (as the pro-lifers often have it) without having it be the end of the world for her.

David and Keith. Another Nate and Brenda. I guess these two relationships are supposed to be the "cliffhangers," but I feel they'll both be/remain couples, just moving into ever-more-complicated territory. David should probably know that if Keith is willing to (apparently) understand a painful infidelity, he's serious about making it work.

And Rico... Oh, Rico. I guess we'll have to wonder about his marriage 'til next season.

Ever since I got into this program, I feel I know what daytime-soap fans feel like, except at night-time.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sal

I would have jumped at anyone who said SFU resembled a soap opera, but in the third season I can only agree.  There have been some things in it which are just ridiculous for the sake of creating complexity, like Billy's "love" for Brenda.   Even Claire's pregnancy seemed to be a device for the "trade-off" during this finale when Claire encounters Lisa.  The first two seasons were of a much higher quality, IMO.  This 3rd season has, overall, been a letdown.

Raikus

Quote from: SalI would have jumped at anyone who said SFU resembled a soap opera, but in the third season I can only agree.  There have been some things in it which are just ridiculous for the sake of creating complexity, like Billy's "love" for Brenda.   Even Claire's pregnancy seemed to be a device for the "trade-off" during this finale when Claire encounters Lisa.  The first two seasons were of a much higher quality, IMO.  This 3rd season has, overall, been a letdown.
I say Bah! to all that. The whole Brenda/Billy thing has always been there just waiting to come forward. Was anyone actually surprised when it did? From the time Nate saw "Nathaniel" tatooed on Brenda's back, it was inevitable. And the way they handled Claire's pregnancy was excellent. Even if it was a device, they paid enough attention to it to make it succeed.

The third season wasn't afraid to slow down and really hammer in the idiosyncracies of the characters. Deep psyche stuff. That doesn't make it a soap opera, just a switch in gears--an evolution of the show.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

godardian

I really just meant my addiction and need to know what happens to these characters when I said that soap-opera thing... wasn't really commenting on the show's quality, which I certainly think is consistent enough.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Sal

QuoteI say Bah! to all that. The whole Brenda/Billy thing has always been there just waiting to come forward. Was anyone actually surprised when it did? From the time Nate saw "Nathaniel" tatooed on Brenda's back, it was inevitable.

It should have stayed subdued though.  I was more surprised at the fact they actually made it explicit.  When it was implied there was more complexity between them which made their interactions unique and interesting to watch.

QuoteThe third season wasn't afraid to slow down and really hammer in the idiosyncracies of the characters. Deep psyche stuff. That doesn't make it a soap opera, just a switch in gears--an evolution of the show.

I'll agree with that to a degree.  I do think this season has been more about the slow process of evolving these characters, to a largely successful degree, but I can't overlook some of the plot points that detracted from this season.  They kind of stick out like sore thumbs in otherwise great writing.

RegularKarate

Well, I have no doubt that this season was better than the second (though the first will probably always be the best one).

So... I was wrong about Lisa.
I could still be right about Arthur.  There's something wrong with that kid.

The only thing I really noticed about this episdode that actively bothered me (I'm past it being slightly soap opera-ish, it's a great show... everyone has at least one kind of show like this)... that is the fact that  Maiya is way too fucking old... I can accept them showing Claire's baby old enough to be strapped into a car seat, when it should be a fetus because that was a dream.  I can even accept them having a baby that's older than what it's playing just because that's the way it usually is, but they had that scene where she was running around on the floor.  This kid is supposed to be just a few months old.

anyway... I don't know why that bothered me so much.

I really liked seeing the incarnations of the father being so extremely contrasted between the characters' different interpretations of how he would be.

Jake_82

Actually Maya is supposed to be 13 months old... there were 7 months between season 2 and 3 don't forget... speaking of that, season 4 doesn't even start until June 2004, so it should be interesting to see where the story picks up.

Yes, Justin Theroux and Rachel Griffiths definitely should be a couple. I hope he continues on in the series... Nate is just bad for Brenda, especially now. But yeah, the season finale was great...
your reality is at the end of your dream

Raikus

Quote from: Jake_82... speaking of that, season 4 doesn't even start until June 2004quote]
:shock:

Excuse me while I go cancel my subscription to HBO.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Mena Suvari to Guest Star in Six Feet Under
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Four years after she starred in American Beauty, Mena Suvari is reteaming with the film's Oscar-winning writer Alan Ball, signing to do a six-episode arc on his acclaimed HBO series Six Feet Under. On the quirky funeral-home drama, Suvari will play a student attending the same art school as Claire Fisher (Lauren Ambrose).

"She's very independent, very self-motivated, very edgy and in a lot of ways much more grown-up than she should be considering how young she is," Ball said of the character. "She and Claire influence each other both artistically and personally."

Suvari next stars opposite Colin Firth in the independent Trauma, set to premiere next month at the Sundance Film Festival.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Suvari, that's fine... can't believe it's all the way 'til freakin' June...

but my most burning question: What about Justin Theroux????

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin"She and Claire influence each other both artistically and personally."
they'll get it on for sure, that'll be nice.
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

i just got hbo on demand and they have six feet under episodes from season three only. where is season 2? are they making a dvd set like they did for season 1? i need to catch up.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: taz.i just got hbo on demand and they have six feet under episodes from season three only. where is season 2? are they making a dvd set like they did for season 1? i need to catch up.

God, I hope so. I missed season 2, also. We devoured the season 1 DVD set at my house, lemme tell ya.

bonanzataz

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: taz.i just got hbo on demand and they have six feet under episodes from season three only. where is season 2? are they making a dvd set like they did for season 1? i need to catch up.

God, I hope so. I missed season 2, also. We devoured the season 1 DVD set at my house, lemme tell ya.

my family too. we watched the first three discs in two days when we were moving my sister into her apartment and then got sick of it and didn't watch the fourth disc until 4 months later (so i just finished the first season two weeks ago, actually. that's why i'm so hot on six feet under now).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls