SECRET MAGNOLIA COMMENTARY

Started by Hazzlehorst, March 03, 2003, 10:14:42 AM

Hazzlehorst

Could someone please tell this newcomer if the secret Magnolia commentary rumor is true.  I was looking through the board the other day and saw something about listining to the secret commentary on magnolia.  Please tell me how to access it.  Or tell me it doesn't exist.
"So how's Hazzlehorst?"
"Don't know, haven't seen him."
"He's back y'know."
"He's a bastard.  He's a goddam bastard.  And I've never liked the way he smelled."

phil marlowe

fulty

Quote from: Hazzlehorstsecret Magnolia commentary
The only thing I know about is the almost silent dialogue going on during some scenes, especially at the end.  
The way you can find out what Jim is saying is to mute the sound and read the text.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: HazzlehorstPlease tell me how to access it.
1. sacrifice a virgin (tip: any LoTR hater on this board)
2. re-enact your favorite Oprah Transcript, or any transcript of Pat & Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts.
3. stir.
4. eye of newt(ron).
5. drink up and UP and UP.
under the paving stones.

Cecil

the secret magnolia commentary is the one in each and everyone of our hearts.

Xixax

Too bad the Magnolia viewer commentary never took off. i think it was a cool idea.

Any chance of a resurrection, Sphinx?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Sigur Rós

What was PTA's reason for not doing one? I remember we discussed this on the PTA-board. Was there ever a official reason?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Sigur RósWhat was PTA's reason for not doing one? I remember we discussed this on the PTA-board. Was there ever a official reason?

I think because he wanted the movie to speak for itself.

polkablues

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: Sigur RósWhat was PTA's reason for not doing one? I remember we discussed this on the PTA-board. Was there ever a official reason?

I think because he wanted the movie to speak for itself.

And he didn't want to sit around for three hours talking about it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

sphinx

why don't you guys all go here

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588

and then go and record a commentary (better if you're drunk or stoned) and then send it to me whatever way you can.

Ernie

Quote from: P
Quote from: HazzlehorstPlease tell me how to access it.
1. sacrifice a virgin (tip: any LoTR hater on this board)
2. re-enact your favorite Oprah Transcript, or any transcript of Pat & Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts.
3. stir.
4. eye of newt(ron).
5. drink up and UP and UP.

Oh, ok so...LOTR haters are virgins now...alright...that makes sense.

No, I'm just kidding...you can't say I'm necessarily wrong though.

sphinx

okay, how about this.  nobody gets to see my new short until i get a commentary for at least one chapter

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeaman69Oh, ok so...LOTR haters are virgins now...alright...that makes sense.
i said on this board since there's a bunch of freaks here. way to screw up the joke, joke-screwer.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

IGN Top Ten DVD Commentary Wish-List

8. Magnolia

Who we want: Director/writer Paul Thomas Anderson on his own track, and then a separate track with the filmmaker and some or all members of his ensemble cast.

What we wanna hear: The Boogie Nights commentary track, the one where PTA keeps asking various rotating cast members if they think Luis Guzman is high in the scene, is one of the best and most bulls**t-free commentaries ever. And Magnolia, arguably a more accomplished and divisive film in some circles than Nights, should follow suit in the precedent set by the filmmaker's first great character epic.

With John C. Riley, Julianne Moore and Philip Seymour Hoffman having become much bigger stars since the film was released, and Oscar-nominee Tom Cruise having, well, become "Tom Cruise," to have all of them in a room, sharing the mic and the nostalgia with Anderson, would literally make that film student at the front of the class explode. The shock waves from such an event would also affect those in the back of the room, as well as appreciators of cinema trying to be more than just multiplex filler. Is Cruise disappointed that he didn't win Oscar for his brave performance? Is Anderson? What are Riley's thoughts regarding his very grounded, very sincere and goofy portrayal of an LAPD cop signaling his arrival as one of the most versatile actors? And if Hoffman just wants to read the credits and tell a good story about the best boy or the caterer, that will do just fine. Anderson is a film encyclopedia, he is also a fan of movies. The only one who would appreciate this opportunity more than us is the director himself. Hell, we wouldn't be surprised if this commentary is not in a drawer somewhere, waiting for the double dip.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/936/936653p1.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks