The Color Purple

Started by aclockworkjj, June 12, 2003, 11:49:10 PM

aclockworkjj

Watched this movie tonight.....hadn't seen it in years.  ....and actually, it's a pretty good fuckin' flick....(minus Oprah's overactting).....overall, I really like this movie and don't think Steven gets enough credit for it.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: aclockworkjjWatched this movie tonight.....hadn't seen it in years.  ....and actually, it's a pretty good fuckin' flick....(minus Oprah's overactting).....overall, I really like this movie and don't think Steven gets enough credit for it.

im reading the spike lee interviews, and well he Hated this movie, and looked at it as hollywood just trying to make black men look like lazy ass no good niggers

but maybe he is not the most objective person when it comes to this film, i dont think this was speilbergs agenda, well he did adopt black children so that goes a long way

but spike has a point too, because well only some black storys will get made while others wont

but if a person can get a positive expeirence out of this film, well then that is all that matters in the end

Pedro

I think this movie is great but I do think that its about 15 minutes too long.  And im not sure about all the messages Spike Lee was getting from it...I didn't really sense any of that at all.

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI think this movie is great but I do think that its about 15 minutes too long.  And im not sure about all the messages Spike Lee was getting from it...I didn't really sense any of that at all.

what he was saying was that the only black films that get made are the ones that have Black men as less then sympathetic

its a ages long debate in the black cummunity , not just with film but also in plays and books

like waiting to exhale is hated by many , and well loved by many also

its all in how you look at things, some see it as pro woman some see it as anti male

its tough, i just dont think i am the one to call this one , since its not a easy one to call

so i will just say i understand both sides to the color purple debate

but this i will say, i think speilbergs motives were not to humilate the Black man, that of course is Sinbads job

©brad

i read the spike lee interviews (its good) and remember that part. i remember him saying that he thought the color purple was grossly unrealistic, like the size of the house and everything. i don't remember him saying flat out it was a bad movie and spielberg sucks. in fact, if you read oliver stone interviews he applauds spielberg for making it. (stone also comments on how he likes jurassic park but finds saving private ryan very one-dimensional) so there.

Quote from: ©bradi read the spike lee interviews (its good) and remember that part. i remember him saying that he thought the color purple was grossly unrealistic, like the size of the house and everything. i don't remember him saying flat out it was a bad movie and spielberg sucks. in fact, if you read oliver stone interviews he applauds spielberg for making it. (stone also comments on how he likes jurassic park but finds saving private ryan very one-dimensional) so there.

ya might want to read it again, he rips that film a new asshole

bonanzataz

i like lee's movies, but he can be a real militant asshole. what the hell is he fighting for? so there's a black character in a movie that's not easily sympathized with. all black characters in every movie are supposed to be gentle and amiable now? well spike, just to appease you, let's have every minority race be the good guys and the white man will be the only person allowed to play a bad guy or an asshole. white guys or neo-nazis are the only people you're allowed to hate that's still socially acceptable.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

aclockworkjj

how did spike lee come into this?...hahaha

mutinyco

Spike Lee can be a loud-mouthed schmuck sometimes. The fact is, it was Quincy Jones who produced the film and brought it to Spielberg, convinced he was the only person who should direct it. As for realism, who ever accused Spike Lee of realism? Doesn't he portray Italians in a pretty stereotypical manner?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

Oprah still overacts, but this movie is a good one.

Pedro

It's a damn good movie...watched it again a few days ago.  i really loved how bright and beautiful the cinematography was.  it's really gorgeous, which is in sharp contrast with a lot of the "emotional violence" that goes on throughout.

aclockworkjj

yes...a pretty tense film, but yet...I completly like the idea of steven with this in his hands, he made an otherwise grim story pretty damn beautiful.