Nirvana

Started by Spike, September 08, 2003, 06:27:10 AM

godardian

I don't fault Pearl Jam's politics, obviously. Politically speaking, I'm sure Vedder and Cobain were on that same Michael Stipe page. I just find Pearl Jam's music... and Alice in Chains'... and Soundgarden's... inescapably dull and uninspired. The melodies never break through or soar, which to me is an indispensable quality.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardianI don't fault Pearl Jam's politics, obviously. Politically speaking, I'm sure Vedder and Cobain were on that same Michael Stipe page. I just find Pearl Jam's music... and Alice in Chains'... and Soundgarden's... inescapably dull and uninspired. The melodies never break through or soar, which to me is an indispensable quality.

.....man....you ought to give them a second chance.....it could change your mind....or make you hate them even more..... :wink:

godardian

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: godardianI don't fault Pearl Jam's politics, obviously. Politically speaking, I'm sure Vedder and Cobain were on that same Michael Stipe page. I just find Pearl Jam's music... and Alice in Chains'... and Soundgarden's... inescapably dull and uninspired. The melodies never break through or soar, which to me is an indispensable quality.

.....man....you ought to give them a second chance.....it could change your mind....or make you hate them even more..... :wink:

Oh, they've had their chances. And blown it every last time.

I don't think my distaste for them ever hurt any of their prospects, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardian

i hear ya.. 8) ......BTW- i bet living in seatlle doing the famous "grunge" era...must have been overkill?

godardian

Quote from: godardian

i hear ya.. 8) ......BTW- i bet living in seatlle doing the famous "grunge" era...must have been overkill?

I've only lived in Seattle since '02. I'm a Portland boy. :)

Just Withnail

All you Nirvana fans out there better play some tomorrow. It's been ten years...Personally I'll get together with some friends, light some candles, listen to nothing but Nirvana, the whole day through. Watch some live shows, maybe some of the docs on MTV...

Pubrick

weirdo..

yeah, i think tomoro i might listen to the complete works of Hole.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

i think i'm going to ignore the whole thing because i think it's bullshit.

godardian

Quote from: Pubrickweirdo..

yeah, i think tomoro i might listen to the complete works of Hole.

:-D

Me too.

phil marlowe

kurt cobain=whatever

everybody knows that gg allin was the true hero of punk rock , just look at the passion in his eyes

but nobody seem to remember HIS birthday and he was the one eating his own shit not kurt

r.i.p. poor gg  :(

mogwai

EXCLUSIVE – NIRVANA BOX SET DETAILS CONFIRMED

The long-awaited NIRVANA box set has a confirmed release date of November 22 in the UK. As previously reported on NME.COM, the set has long been rumoured on various fan websites. A UK spokesperson for the band's label has now confirmed details. Currently untitled, the four disc compilation will be comprised of three audio CDs with over 40 tracks on them, and one DVD with archive footage, including a rare promo of 'In Bloom'. An early live show is also expected to feature. The audio tracks on the box set will be rare and in some cases, previously unheard demos, alternative versions and radio session tracks.

Just Withnail

Quote from: mogwaiCurrently untitled

With The Lights Out

mogwai

WATCH NIRVANA IN THE DARK

The long-awaited Nirvana box set 'WITH THE LIGHTS OUT' will feature 68 previously unreleased recordings.

Released on November 22, the four-disc set will feature 81 tracks including 68 previously unreleased recordings - rehearsals, outtakes, Kurt's home demos, as well as a DVD which is confirmed to have unreleased band home movies, live footage, rehearsal footage and 20 full-length video performances. A 60-page booklet will accompany the release.

The title is a reference to a lyric in 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.

A source told NME.COM: "I've seen some of the footage and it's amazing stuff. There's a video of them performing at a friend's party with Kurt reading lyrics off a sheet of paper on the wall, footage of them covering 'Seasons In The Sun' in a studio with Kurt on drums and lots of other great stuff."

The artwork for the set is currently being put together, with the likely choice being a 'landscape' box, retailing in the region of £40-50.

mogwai

JESUS KRIST!

KRIST NOVOSELIC is auctioning himself off on EBAY. A private plane ride and lunch with the former Nirvana bass player has been put up for sale on the site. While Novoselic is more occupied with his political career in Washington than rock these days, he is also a keen pilot with his own Cessna 182 Skylane Jet. The successful bidder will be picked up at a US West Coast airport of their choice and flown to a restaurant of their choice. The auction is in aid of People For The American Way, which bills itself as "a non-profit, non-partisan organisation committed to promoting political awareness, civic participation and providing legislators with the support they need to counter the agenda of the extreme right and protect against encroachments upon our freedoms and civil rights". Novoselic said: "I am happy to share the wonders of aviation and remind the winners to be careful during the most dangerous phase of flight – the drive to and from the airport." You can check the progress of the auction, or bid yourself, by clicking here.