Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

myadopteddaughter

I love Nico.
I especially find her appropriate for The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack.

Janis Joplin is also a favorite of mine.
mmm, mmmm good

Quote from: myadopteddaughterI love Nico.

the scene with richie, margot and  the uniformed guys walking on the background is one of the most touching pieces of cinema i've ever seen.
context, context, context.

godardian

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Quote from: myadopteddaughterI love Nico.

the scene with richie, margot and  the uniformed guys walking on the background is one of the most touching pieces of cinema i've ever seen.

Best use of slo-mo, too.

Nico had her movie aspect, too, of course, what with appearing as herself in La Dolce Vita and doing that crazy movie with Iggy Pop... forget what it's called. A great documentary on her called Nico Icon is available on DVD.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

myadopteddaughter

hmmmm, I'll have to check that dvd out. thanks.
mmm, mmmm good

Sleepless

Personally, Aimee Mann without question. But yeah, Bjork too for sure, and also Erin McKeown.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

no one's mentioned her yet.. Gemma Hayes, she's dope.
under the paving stones.

SheffieldSean

Jane Weaver is a new fave of mine. Check out her debut Like an Aspen Leaf and her work with Misty Dixon. Beth Gibbons from Portishead is excellent, as are Aimee Mann and Bjork. Also Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions, she has an amazing voice, check out her work with Mazzy Star. I'd echo anyone who nominated Moloko's Roisin Murphy as well, they're excellent.

Last year I was dispatched to cover a festival held in Leicester. Backstage with a rather drunk friend who had to be poured into his hotel room that evening I was lucky enough to meet Chrissie Hynde and Joan Baez....until my friend staggered up to Chrissie and said 'oh, he's a tree hugger just like you' and then proceeded to thank Joan for the gig with the immortal line 'thanks Emmylou'.

Bloody hell, friends eh?
Back off man. I'm a scientist.

context, context, context.

SheffieldSean

Oh and Lisa Germano, sorry I forgot to include her.
Back off man. I'm a scientist.

Thrindle

I've been reluctant to write anything about movies... I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to go up against the competition.   :-D   But I have figured out the search function, and I've gotta say, THANK GOD FOR YOU JONI MITCHELL FANS!  Whoever said that "Both Sides, Now" makes them want to cry, is genius.  She is an amazing lyricist... and perhaps an acquired taste, which only elevates her status.
Classic.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ThrindleI've been reluctant to write anything about movies... I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to go up against the competition.   :-D

Please reconsider. We need more female opinions.

Quote from: ThrindleBut I have figured out the search function,

Member of the month :!:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: ThrindleTHANK GOD FOR YOU JONI MITCHELL FANS!  Whoever said that "Both Sides, Now" makes them want to cry, is genius.  She is an amazing lyricist... and perhaps an acquired taste, which only elevates her status.

I completely agree, Joni Mitchell is awesome. I just came across her music recently, and yes, she is really amazing.  I love her song "River" as well as "Both Sides Now" (which I heard on the Love Actually soundtrack, which lead to my interest in her music.)  I also like "Free Man in Paris." She definitely defines the female singer/songwriter.

SoNowThen

Urge For Going, Chelsea Morning, The Circle Game, and You Turn Me On I'm A Radio are all brilliant as well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

COME ON ! Avril Lavigne guys !

Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're actin like you're somebody else
Gets me frustrated

meatwad

Neko Case

and i get to see her in June