beatles

Started by sphinx, January 24, 2003, 10:59:21 PM

sphinx

does anyone know what kubrick thought of the beatles?

Gold Trumpet

He generally liked them. In one interview for 2001: A Space Odyssey, in trying to make the movie more understandable, he explained of how all people could love music if being on opposite ends of the world, from a prominemt intellectual to someone like a truck driver, could like the Beatles. I don't think though that Kubrick really had any serious appreciation only for them, because the music that seemed to have been at deepest appreciation for him was classical music mainly. Whenever he generally spoke of music, unless it something very specific to a film, he always spoke of classical music and its ability to really let the viewer feel for it what they can. Beatles, though good, belonged to rock where lyrics was a main ingrediant but always used as an access vehicle into what to think of the song. I think that part of rock n roll didn't hold as much value for Kubrick who made all his films for the pure feeling and leaving audiences to interpret on their own. But it comes down to the basic fact that when music was picked for his funeral services, it was all classical music. Guess that was just his taste of choice.

Also there is another thing because in the 60s, the beatles went to Kubrick asking him to possibly direct them in an adaptation of Lord of the Rings to a movie. Kubrick was quoted as saying that it was impossible to adapt the book. With knowing Kubrick's personality of being a man for pure absolute intellect, it is safe to bring up the idea that he could have looked down on the Beatles for bringing him an idea that he thought was maybe half baked in its seriousness. A problem of Kubrick's personality, is that he always needed gyrantees on something being perfect and understandable to him and if the Beatles brought him an idea he thought was more of "what they thought would be a cool thing to do for the day", then he may have personally put off the idea and not looked to it for any serious concern.

But I think with The Beatles being so popular and considered so good, he may have been in the crowd where everyone admitted they were good, even if they were not big fans or what, that they enjoyed their music.

~rougerum

Royal Tenenbaum

Apparently John Lennon loved 2001 and watched it once a week. He wanted to meet Kubrick, but after the meeting he was quoted saying something like "How can the man who directed 2001 be so damn boring?"

Xixax

John Lennon was the Devil.

Ringo was pretty cool, though. Caveman kicked ass.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

xerxes

Quote from: XixaxJohn Lennon was the Devil.

a little part of me just died... xi...xa...x

Xixax

It is an unpopular view that I'm frequently ridiculed for, but I really do not like The Beatles.

It's not that I have anything against them personally (although Lennon's politics were pretty fucked up). I don't even despise their music nearly as much as I despise country music.

I think the thing that makes me dislike them so much is that they personify a whole generation of people that just piss me off.

As a blanket statement using broad stereotypes, I really dislike the boomer generation of Americans. I hate the way they stare down their noses at Generation X and Y as if they're superior to us. I hate the fact that they think they know what's best for us, as if they're somehow more gifted thinkers than us.

I'm not sure if it's their tree-hugging environmentalism, their largely democratic liberal politics, or the fact that they wait until they're 40 to have a family because their career was so freaking important to them. Then they piss and moan about not being able to conceive, so they take fertility pills and conceive a half dozen babies and abort all but one of them when there are hundreds - THOUSANDS of kids in orphanages that need a good home.

I know I'm overgeneralizing here which is probably pretty ignorant of me. I'll regret this post later.

But I still don't like the Beatles. Even though Caveman was awesome.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

Quote from: XixaxIt's not that I have anything against them personally (although Lennon's politics were pretty fucked up). I don't even despise their music nearly as much as I despise country music.

YOU HATE COUNTRY AND THE BEATLES! AAAAH! XIXAX, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pedro

Maybe I'm just stupid...but why does it matter what Kubrick thought of the Beatles?

sphinx

Quote from: Pedro the WombatMaybe I'm just stupid...but why does it matter what Kubrick thought of the Beatles?

both of them were sort of (pop) cultural landmarks in very different ways, and i was curious to see how they reacted to each other, that's all

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Xixax

As a blanket statement using broad stereotypes, I really dislike the boomer generation of Americans. I hate the way they stare down their noses at Generation X and Y as if they're superior to us. I hate the fact that they think they know what's best for us, as if they're somehow more gifted thinkers than us.

I hate generation labels

Newtron

I'm glad that my generation doesn't give a shit.

But I'm not happy about Duck Sauce being part of it. Hopefully his kind won't define us.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XixaxIt is an unpopular view that I'm frequently ridiculed for . . . Lennon's politics were pretty fucked up

Come on Budgie, sing it with me...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

Royal Tenenbaum

I love the Beatles. :(

Satcho9

gotta love the beatles....i dont like Baby Boomers much.

"Slackers need not apply"

SHAFTR

I don't understand how someone doesn't like The Beatles.  It's like being allergic to water or afraid of air, or even worse...hating Hitchock.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"